The battle for Holmes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFanDoc, Jul 25, 2011.

1. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

We got to the 2009 AFCG with Edwards and Cotchery as our receivers. If we lost Holmes but retained Edwards I don't think we would take as much of a step back as everyone thinks. I would much rather have Edwards as he made many clutch catches and was an extremely solid blocker in the running game. I would love it if we were to keep both Edwards and Holmes but that doesn't seem likely and I don't think we should break the bank to keep Holmes.

3. IATA

IATA Trolls

Want Braylon only.

4. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Jesus Christ...you would think we went undefeated and won the Super Bowl by 4 TDs the way some of you wax poetically about Holmes.
    I like him as much as the next guy, and his impact on offense is obvious, but the sun will come up tomorrow regardless of who gives him a monster contract.
    I actually agree with Iata, I think Edwards is more important. Holmes would be easier to replace.

5. Coach K

Coach K New Member

edwards please

holmes can go get his 10 mil yr somewhere else

6. Gotham Green

Gotham Green Active Member

Isn't Holmes 1 substance abuse violation away from a 1 year suspension? I know there's a lot of buzz, and he's #1 or #2 of the available receivers, but is he worth all that money - with the baggage?

7. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Schefter is still saying he is the jets #1 priority.

8. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I'm really interested in Kerley as a guy who could come in and play the slot and could eventually take Holmes' spot (obviously not this year but down the road).

9. Coach K

Coach K New Member

hope hes wrong

10. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

1 positive test away from a year suspension.
    drop vs green bay would have been a TD and won the game
    drop vs miami would have been a TD and won the game

11. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

teams will most likely protect themselves($$$ wise), if holmes fucks up. that doesnt protect a team from having a star, clutch WR though.

12. bibigon

bibigon Member

The suspension is self-protecting actually. If he gets a full year suspension, that's without pay. I don't think the suspension threat will seriously affect his salary demands. The general "character" concerns may, insofar as some teams may not want to even make an offer on him however.

13. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

and what about his CATCHES that won us games?????????

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Not that I think this was the case, but why does no one mention that Braylon coincidentally had the best year of his career (beyond the numbers) when he's playing for a new contract? I don't WANT to believe Braylon stepped it up to get his pay day, but at the same time it's something you always have to be weary of when it comes to guys who have been accused of giving up, and I think most of Cleveland will tell you that's what he did.

15. IATA

IATA Trolls

I don't give a fuck if we don't pay him, I give a fuck about signing him, losing Braylon and then losing Holmes because he sparked up.

16. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Braylon very well might get suspended for his guilty plea for the DUI and he's a risk for a big suspension in the future as well.

The TD drops vs. the 2 teams MAY have won the games for us, there was still plenty of time in both so we don't know for sure.

Holmes put up similar #s to Braylon despite playing 4 less games and that included multiple game winning catches. Braylon had his share of big catches for us as well and his hands were excellent a year ago but both guys are really good players. Holmes is the teams #1 priority for a reason, I hate to lose either but as long as we get one back we'll be in good shape.

17. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

His list of positives is much longer than that.

Personally, I find myself in the keep Edwards while using a few guys to fill holmes' role camp. I won't really be annoyed if the jets go the opposite way. You really cant go wrong as long as at least one stays.

18. nixhead

nixhead Banned

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. If Edwards is willing to sign reasonably then do it quickly. Could'nt ex Jet Moss from the Redskins take Holmes spot or the guy from the Panthers or maybe Randy Moss. Resign Edwards and take a run at Ashumugha.

19. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

No.

filla

20. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i dont give him credit for the texans game simply cuz braylon had a 35 or 40 yard catch to set that up the previous play.

lions and browns? sure. then again outrunning eric barton is hardly a herculean task.

either way the jets must keep holmes or edwards either one. went out on a limb with that one didnt i