Jets to do list

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Jul 24, 2011.

1. RMorin

RMorin Member

You are not looking at the stats at all, just going by people you heard on Sportscenter once.

Lets look at just one of the teams:

Colts:
    Marvin Harrison averaged 7 TDs without Manning 12.5 a season with him.
    Jerome Pathon scored 6 TDs in 4 years with Manning.

Pathon is as replaceable as it comes, and Marvin Harrison's production jumped drastically once Manning arrived proving my point that it is good QB, not WR that drive offensive production.

#41 RMorin, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Right Tackle needs someone very capable. That can't be overlooked.

Still, too much is being made of losing Holmes and Cro.

And those 3 have been medically cleared already. Not by the jets, but they've been cleared.

Dark siders can fuck off

3. Ulrich

Ulrich Member

Not sure where you got the personal offense idea from. Also don't understand your conception of bidding strategy. Team x has y to spend on an FA WR with about thirty WRs available: but for FAs who say they're really happy where they are, they'll offer an extra million or two. Clever Braylon. Surely Holmes, Cromartie, and Brad Smith, who've said they weren't doing the Jets any favors, are going to be lowballed by most teams for being such treacherous money-whores.

If there's a hard salary floor and a lot of teams need to sign a WR or CB or special teams ace at all costs, someone might offer any of these guys more than they're worth to the Jets, for cap reasons, or just because they're worth more to them. It will have absolutely nothing to do with what they say about the Jets.

Good question. I was disappointed this didn't happen and don't really have an answer. I'm assuming it wasn't easy to sign big contracts before a season that might not take place, without any idea of an eventual CBA, so I can't say it's indicative of anybody's real intentions. As you say, we'll see.

This was just a sarcastic comment to check if you were a troll. Does that mean that you're posting on a Jets site calling for Rex Ryan to resign? Is it because he only made it to two championship games in a row with one of the rawest QBs you'll see in the NFL (one year starting in college)? Were you disappointed he didn't fulfill his SB predictions? Or are you still sore about Kotite?

Yeah, that's what I meant. It was a throwaway point, but this team has won games with Cotch as #1. Not that I'd like to go back to the days of Cotch and Stuckey: I'm saying it's hard to imagine a scenario where we can't improve on that.

4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

5. stanner

stanner Member

ouch.

free agent smorgasbord.

6. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

7. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

Uhhh. Sportscenter? Really? What a fucking copout man.

And of course a good WR and and a good QB are going to have more production than a good WR and a Jim Harbaugh...

Anyway. I would like to completely dismantle that last part with one two words. Randy Moss. Unless you think Daunte Culpepper is a fantastic QB...
    There's plenty of examples where a great WR bailed out a shitty QB.

My point however isn't that, but that despite how great a QB, there is usually not a revolving door at WR while the QB is developing because consistency is very very critical.

8. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Earth to Jets N Boys. They did demolish Section 314 from the old place.

9. RMorin

RMorin Member

What happened to Randy Moss when he joined the Raiders? The Raiders still sucked, and his production was crap. Then he gets traded to a team with an elite QB and boom he is back to high levels of production. Line up turnover is high in WRs, because the gap in production is low.

Brady, Manning, and Rivers in the first four years had high WR turnover just like the rest of the league. Out of their first four years Manning, Rivers, and Brady each only had two years with the same two starting WRs.

10. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

Randy Moss just gave up when he was on the Raiders...because it's the Raiders...

Also you're wrong, Tom Brady had Troy Brown and Deion Branch for 5 out of his first 6 years. Peyton had Harrison and Pathon his first four years, then Wayne and Harrison for the next seven.

Care to try again?

11. RMorin

RMorin Member

Except you didn't read my post. I said starting WRs. Troy Brown and Deion Branch started together for one season. Please tell me how Troy Brown sitting on the bench the other years helps develop a QB? Under that logic Jerricho Cotchery is somehow making Sanchez an elite QB cause he'll be here all three years as the 3rd WR? (BTW Cotchery averages more yards per season then Troy Brown did in his career)

Pathon was an absolute garbage WR. His most productive season was 664 yards. He had 15 TDs in 8 seasons. His presence had NOTHING to do with Peyton Manning becoming an elite QB. I can not believe you would think people like Jerome Pathon made Peyton Manning who he is today.

12. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

It's not a matter of who they are, I agree that most WR's are the easily replaceable, but the familiarity really helps a QB develop, ask any NFL QB and I'm sure they'll agree.

13. RMorin

RMorin Member

I ascertain that is just something NFL players say, and it does not actually translate to any verifiable statistics. Anyway, my whole argument at the beginning was that WR are easily replaceable, so we are on the same page on that at least.

14. lax7

lax7 New Member

edwards over holmes, edwards was the deep threat for them, got way better and and holding on to the ball, had better stats than holmes, 6 foot 3. sign endwards and pick up a good free agent wr, there are a lot of good quality receivers. cro i would want back but he got beat a lot. i know kyle wilson didnt do good last year but he was working with revis this summer, who better to learn from. i wouldnt mind wilson going in and if hes not as good as this year put in lowery, i think he is very underrated. i think he is good. or lowery as fs i liked him way more than pool imo. muhamad wilkerson i am very excited to watch along with kendrick ellis if he doesnt get in trouble. get rid of smith as much as i love him we dont need to waste our money. which is why we drafted jermey kearly. i say get rid of brunell keep clemens. im excited to see joe mcnight this year too, he probably wont play a lot but he shows a lot of promise. thats my opinion

15. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I read three words of this. Not sure which three.