Jets to do list

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Jul 24, 2011.

1. RMorin

RMorin Member

But they are not just going to lose Holmes and Edwards and say "We are good with Cotchery, Patrick Turner, and Scotty McKnight". They will get FAs with a better value.

Look at this list of FA Receivers (In no particular order):

Sidney Rice (MIN)
    Malcom Floyd (SD)
    Steve Smith (NYG)
    Terrell Owens (CIN)
    Randy Moss (TEN)
    Mike Williams (SEA)
    James Jones (GB)
    Steve Breaston (ARZ)
    Early Doucet (ARZ)
    Brian Finneran (ATL)
    Donte' Stallworth (BAL)
    TJ Houshmandzadeh (BAL)
    Rashied Davis (CHI)
    Devin Aromashadu (CHI)
    Chansi Stuckey (CLE)
    Sam Hurd (DAL)
    Jacoby Jones (HOU)
    Mike Sims-Walker (JAC)
    Kevin Curtis (MIA)
    Hank Baskett (MIN)
    Greg Lewis (MIN)
    Lance Moore (NO)
    Courtney Roby (NO)
    Derek Hagan (NYG)
    Darius Reynaud (NYG)
    Brad Smith (NYJ)
    Johnnie Lee Higgins (OAK)
    Legedu Naanee (SD)
    Ben Obomanu (SEA)
    Laurent Robinson (STL)
    Mark Clayton (STL)
    Maurice Stovall (TB)
    Santana Moss (WAS)

We easily snag two of them on a bargain which can play decently if we were to lose Holmes and Edwards. I am not saying I want that to happen, I'd love them both to be back, but if the money doesn't work we will definitely get a decent WR where the money does work.

edit; supposed to have quoted ResignHCNYJ

#21 RMorin, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. Ulrich

Ulrich Member

We started out last year without Holmes and Edwards and didn't do so badly. Edwards has been pleading to come back to the Jets. Several prominent free agent WRs have expressed interest in playing for the Jets. If the figures we're hearing about are true, there'll be about 6M$ of exemptions to a 120M cap, plus we can do several things to lower our number for 2011 (cutting LT/BT, restructuring Sanchez and Harris). Tell me again why we'll have one of the worst WR corps in the NFL?

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

How much value are you going to get out of Mark Sanchez if he's throwing to different wideouts every year?

There won't be any continuity in this offense if we keep bringing in new wideouts.

4. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I am watching the Jet/Steelers regular season game on my DVR right now. Edwards was a beast that day. Without Edwards and Holmes, we are ordinary on offense at best. I can't imagine us without these 2 guys unless we find equal replacements. Mr. T, work your magic, sign both of these guys plus Cro and Snirh,

5. ResignHCNYJ

ResignHCNYJ New Member

1. The "I want to play for the Jets" line is garbage and used by all FA towards practically every team to drum up leverage. 99% of FA want to play for the team that will pay them the most.

2. There aren't 6 million in exemptions, there are 3, and the max that can be used on any one FA (who must have at least 5 years experience) is 1 million.

3. You better hope those restructurings happen very quickly, because a lot of the players are going to be gone within the first 3 days of FA. If there's not already a backdoor deal with Harris in place, it's doubtful that the Jets free up his money quickly.

4. If you want to pay Edwards 5+ million, go right ahead. Not only is that at the expense of other positions, but it's for a guy a serious risk to be suspended at some point for the rest of the year.

That list isn't very impressive, to be honest. They may be able to sign a guy like Lance Moore for 3-4 million, but that's still an unimpressive receiving corp and you have to figure in that Sanchez and Moore will take time to get on the same page, especially with the shortened offseason.

The best option I see for the Jets is Plaxico, with the hope you can get him for 2-3 million or so.

#25 ResignHCNYJ, Jul 24, 2011
  6. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

You think the Jets management have just been sitting around fishing and waiting for the lockout to be over to do work? They probably have proposals all set ready to be submitted once the lockout is over.

You are wrong

We gave Cotchery 4+ million a year...you think Edwards for 5+ is a bad deal?

#26 ace_o_spades, Jul 24, 2011
  7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Can you exemptions be used on players like Eric Smith, Drew Coleman and James Ihedigbo?

8. RMorin

RMorin Member

You are not understanding my point at all. There is no point in over paying for a wide-receiver when they can be replaced with only minor drop off. Braylon Edwards was 24th in yards and tied for 21st in TDs. Holmes (assuming he played 16 games) was on pace for 8 TDs and 992 yards making him 18th in yards and tied for 29th in TDs. These are not irreplaceable guys.

In regards to Sanchez; Good QBs change and adapt to their surrounding cast. Bad QBs can only be bailed out by their WRs to a very minimal extent. I am not saying there is not some merit to your statement, but I think you are overestimating it.

9. ResignHCNYJ

ResignHCNYJ New Member

I'm sure they do, but the players have extensive leverage here and I'd be shocked if they don't take some time to use it. I'd be particularly surprised if Harris instantly signed the first long-term offer he received.

It could be used on all 3, since they all have at least 5 years experience. They could use 1 million on each, but that would also tie up all their exemptions, since 3 is the max.

They were also being thrown to by Regular-Season Mark Sanchez.

#29 ResignHCNYJ, Jul 24, 2011
  10. Ulrich

Ulrich Member

You're getting this a bit backwards. Let me try to explain this to you. Let's say you want to get a raise from your boss. Will you a) tell all the CEOS of similar companies that you only want to work for your boss, Rex (I'm assuming your user name means you'd like Rex Ryan to be re-signed to a longer, more remunerative contract), or b) tell your boss that you wouldn't mind working for some of the other companies that are contractually obligated to throw money at people with your job skills? Think carefully.

There might be a contract already in place; otherwise, every time Braylon opens his mouth he's losing money.

If you say so, Roger: you must have inside info. Too lazy to quote other sites, but 1m$ is completely wrong from everything I've read. Check Jason's website at nyjetscap.com for better information.

Again, too lazy to quote, but I already posted this evening saying I suspected they already had a deal. As I have absolutely no idea, however, this is the most valid of the silly points you've made.

I'd be thrilled if they got Braylon Edwards at 5M per. Thrilled.

11. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

Good QB's usually have a solid cast of WR's their first few years AT LEAST. Off the top of my head I can think of:

Tom Brady - Troy Brown and Deion Branch
    Ben Roethlisberger - Antwaan Randle El and Hines Ward
    Peyton Manning - Marvin Harrison, Jerome Pathon then Reggie Wayne.
    Philip Rivers - Vincent Jackson, Chris Chambers then Malcom Floyd.

12. bibigon

bibigon Member

I think this is probably an entanglement effect. Branch probably wouldn't be much without Brady for instance. When he went to Seattle, he was a non-factor.

13. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

Thru all of this mess, I just hope the Jets have excellent proposals ready to get a few guys restructured, ie, Dirty, Revis, and a few others, and a good long term deal for Harris that will free up enough cap space to make a decent run at our own F/A's., before the three day signing period is over

I as a long time Jets fan, over 40 years, I really like the Jets to be smart in this up coming free agent period and not over spend for players who can be replaced with minor drop offs in both defense and offense. The Jets seem to really want to keep Cro and Tone above all others, but if you ask me , busting the cap or getting into a bidding war for these two guys would not be smart.

We have a chance to really be a power for the next few years in our division if we play our cards right. I hate to say it, but the model to look at has to be New England and how they move players n and out and remain at the top of the division......

#33 fltflo, Jul 24, 2011
  14. Ulrich

Ulrich Member

Sorry, I'm not a physicist: could you explain what that means? Or are you just saying Tom Brady is gay?

15. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

Uhhh. Hines Ward had his most TD receptions before Ben was even in the league, same with Troy Brown. Hell, Marvin Harrison was averaging 7 TD's a year with fucking Jim Harbaugh throwing to him.

If Peyton was throwing to Curtis Conway one year, then Marvin Harrison the next, then freaking MarTay Jenkins the next I'm sure he would have some problems getting situated in the league...

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I believe Mr T has already crossed Holmes and Cromartie off the list and is ready to pounce on their affordable replacements and sign our other UFA's.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

what makes you think that?

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Added to your post.

19. ResignHCNYJ

ResignHCNYJ New Member

Why, are the other NFL teams going to be personally offended by his comments and not make him an offer? What Braylon is trying to do is increase his value to the other teams by making it seem like they have to pry them away from the Jets. He's also trying to sound like the good guy to Jets fans.

Now it's thinking time for you. If he REALLY wanted to stay with the Jets for a discount, why didn't he sign a long-term extension last year? Anyway, why don't we just wait and see what happens. Like I said, his words mean nothing until he signs that team-friendly contract.

Also, if I meant Re-sign I would have used a hyphen.

Looks like you're a pretty lazy reader, too, because I clealry said 3 million, with one being the cap for each person (up to 3 people). FWIW, he and I are using the same source for our info, although it seems we disagree from that document as to whether the 3 million can be used all on one person or if it has to be spread across 3 people:

That extra 3.5 million in exemptions is still just a rumor at this point. It may turn out to be true, but if it is we don't know the exact amount of the exemptions or how they would apply.

Well, you have to be basing it on something, right? Otherwise, you wouln't suspect it to be true.

Why? Wouldn't you expect him to be offering that, since he really wants to play here and will take a pay cut to do so? I also wouldn't be so thrilled, even at 5 million, because he's bound to do something else stupid eventually. To each his own, though.

#39 ResignHCNYJ, Jul 24, 2011
  20. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Edwards played all 16 in 2010; I don't know what you're talking about.

Do you mean the 3-1 record they had in 2009 before they got Edwards? That was a totally different team (with a younger Scott/Harris/Thomas/Woody, with Jenkins and Thomas Jones and Leon Washington, etc).