How about replacing Cro with Nnamdi? (Merged x67)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Titans, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Signing Nnamdi would more than likely mean no Holmes or Edwards.

It would be a big blow to our offense, but if we could recreate the 85 Bears defense, we wont need any offense...

It would be pick central to, imagine the amount of interceptions? QBs would HAVE TO throw to either Revis or Nnamdi unless they pass to the 3rd WR who would be double covered.

2. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Nnamdi is a terrible idea unless he signs off on an extremely reduced salary contract.

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

This.

Why would someone sober ever want to pay someone 14 million to cover someones number 2 WR... at the expense of our offenses continuity

4. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I would like to dream that Nnamdi is content with his bank account and will take 8 million per season with the Jets. Then Woody can hand him a map to an undisclosed location where there is $100,000,000 in cash.

5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

With the salary floor being 99% of the cap, some teams will have to spend a ton this year.
    NA will benefit more than any player from that situation, so i don't see how the Jets can offer him anything comparable.

I just hope he goes to the NFC and not Houston. Would love to see the Lions go after him, but they apparently aren't in the running. Tampa Bay a strong possibility.

6. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

It already seems unlikely that we'll get both Braylon and Santonio. That in mind, if Nnamdi gave the Jets a decent price for the opportunity to win a SB, I'd take getting back one of Braylon/Santonio and Nnamdi in a second.

7. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

If we could sign Aso and either Holmes or Edwards I would be fine with it. I don't see him coming cheap tho.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

You'd be fine w/ that? we'd be doing cartwheels if we could do that.

9. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

I believe my earlier post said if he takes a pay cut. Good if he takes a pay cut. Obviously a terrible idea if he won't, having two corners take up a huge chunk of the cap space. The man has made a ton of money already, he wants to play for the jets, and wanted out of Oakland because they weren't winning.

The NFL is a business and players should try to make as much money as they can before they retire, but Nnamadi seems to care about winning, and maybe there is a small chance he takes a large paycut for a short term deal. Possibly incentive based, such as winning a Superbowl, where he'll make a few extra million on next year's salary cap.

10. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

If Tanny can keep us out of cap hell and pull this off....Wow.

11. bibigon

bibigon Member

Who was the last in-his prime player to this? Older guys do it all the time, but I really can't think of a single case of a guy who could have had a huge megadeal, but went with a smaller "win now" contract instead.

I know it's nice to dream, but I follow other sports enough that I know that this sort of behavior is almost unheard of. Everyone talks about wanting to win, but at the end of the day, they follow the money by and large. Maybe if it's between Carolina for $14M/year and the Jets at $13M, but if it's like $14M to $6M, no player is turning down the $14M.

12. thedoc53

thedoc53 New Member

Most people agree that it's not smart to try and pull this off. I don't even want it to if possible because that 15 Million-ish could pay for another great player else where. And Kyle wilson should be an adequate #2 and possible very good the year after.

But if some weird crap went down and i saw those two on the same side against Dallas, i think a 3-5 type defense might be born with the goal of making a quarterback's knees to start shaking when he sees all the hungry blitzers

13. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Signing Nnamdi Asomugha is by no means outside the limits of possibility.

If I'm the Jets, I offer Nnamdi a two-year, $20 million dollar contract with $6 million due in 2011, $14 million in 2012. Essentially, Nnamdi gets one year to show the NFL what he can do on a top team (and hopefully get his ring) before the Jets either a) release him so that another team can give him his monster long term contract b) re-sign him themselves to a long term deal or c) pay him $14 million dollars in 2012. Most likely the Jets would release him and let him play elsewhere.

I can't say that Nnamdi would go for it, but it's worth the offer. If he stays healthy for a year on this team, I think he's worth more as a free agent in 2012 than he is now. That's an risk every player in the NFL hates to take, but the reward could be a ring.

This is all irrelevant, of course, unless we get Braylon Edwards at a reasonable price.

14. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

If your situation were workable, it also gives the Jets much greater leverage against Revis stomping his feet and holding out again next summer. I can't see it happening, though, as has been pointed out by smarter people than me this team is about having Rex and Mike P work their magic with the defensive schemes in order to give Mark and Schotty the elite talent they need for the whole team to be successful. I don't see this much money being spent on another corner.

15. bibigon

bibigon Member

As you said, most likely the Jets would release him after that one year. That's really a one year, $6M deal. (As that's all that's guaranteed). Nnamdi is currently 30 years old, and more or less at the peak of his powers/reputation. It's unlikely he'll ever command more as a free agent than he does now, especially with a ton of teams needing to spend up to the salary floor.

I mean, making the offer can't hurt, but that's such a bargain basement rate that he can probably get more from other contending teams. Hell, New England could beat that offer.

16. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I hadn't thought about this. Very good point.

He'll get better offers, I've no doubt. He'll be offered $15 million dollars a year by some team. But let's not forget that Nnamdi has played his entire career on one of the worst franchises in football and he's made a shit-ton of money doing so. If I'm Asomugha, playing where I want to play for the first time since I signed my Cal papers trumps other factors.

I'm confident we get Braylon back at less than market value for the same reason, despite pundit comments to the contrary. Holmes and Cro, on the other hand? Both gone to the highest bidder.

#176 JCotchrocket, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  17. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

This would be nice however I just can't see it happening. That would be an awful lot of money tied up into our 2 corners with last year's number 1 pick on the bench.

18. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Because for the forseeable future, the road to the SB will be travelling through Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and maybe Phillip Rivers ... and winning those games will be all about our defense coming up as big as they did in last year's playoffs.

19. Jetskees

Jetskees New Member

I bet he'll get offered more than that. There are a lot of teams way under the salary floor that could use a shutdown corner badly.

As Junc said, we'd all obviously be ecstatic of they could keep Holmes or Edwards and get Aso, but I don't see how it's realistic. If Aso has any interest in getting the contract he deserves he will look elsewhere.

20. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

yes and no matter how good our defense is yo always have to put up &'s when u get in the red zone.

vs pats divisional round we had 4 td's and 1 missed FG in 5 trips into the red zone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.