Who would you want to replace Edwards or Holmes next year (if we have to)?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, May 19, 2011.

?

Who should we get to replace either Edwards or Holmes?

1. Brad Smith, Jets

5.0%
  2. Malcom Floyd, Chargers

11.3%
  3. Mike Sims-Walker, Jaguars

18.8%
  4. Terrell Owens, Bengals

6.3%
  5. Randy Moss, Titans

8.8%
  6. Plaxico Burress, Cell block 9

15.0%
  7. Santana Moss, Redskins

7.5%
  8. Lance Moore, Saints

6.3%
  9. Chad Ochocinco, Bengals

11.3%
  10. Trade for another guy or sign another FA (Stuckey, Naanee etc)...

10.0%
  1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

PREMISE: I think it's highly probable we will lose one between Holmes or Edwards.
    With the way we play on O (strong running game, not a WC system) we can't afford having Holmes, Edwards and Cotchery... at least according to Edwards' and Holmes' market value and Cotchery's contract.
    We might afford it if we let Cromartie go, but you know how much Rex likes his CBs, or if some weird shit happens with the new CBA, but let's go with a standard capped season scenario.

With this premise in mind my question is... who would you like to see as the Jets #3 WR next year? A lot of it depends on who will leave between the two (and how much money is available).
    Edwards would be easier to replace but will command less money and has stated he want's to stay here (after all he knows what it's like to play in shitty teams like the Browns).
    Holmes has more talent but up to know he's earned a lot less than Edwards, already has a SB ring and a SB MVP, and has only played on good teams. He will undoubtedly command more money than Edwards.

1) B. Smith: in-house promotion. He's now been training as a WR in the NFL for a while and maybe he'd be able to produce more in the passing game if given the opportunity. He has the physical tools and knows the system well, but has he developed hands, coordination and route-running enough?

2) M. Floyd: Has been a pretty good WR for the Chargers when called upon. The fact he played with Rivers certainly didn't hurt his production though... also he has some injury question marks and will turn 30 in September. He would be pretty cheap though (cheaper than Edwards for sure), allowing us more payroll flexibility.

3) M. Sims-Walker: Had 2 years of decent production, is big and fast and, although a down-grade, should be a decent replacement. Questions about character, injuries and homosexuality (says he wants to play for the Dolphins with his friend lady-beater Marshall).

4) T. Owens: We all know his career, but we all know his age and character too. Although I feel Sanchez is enough of a leader to not be affected by Owens you have to question how much burst and sepration he has left at 37, even considering he trains as hard as anyone in the NFL. Dude wants a ring too... how money will he ask for though?

5) R. Moss: If we want a deep threat only. Character concerns and, although younger than T.O., he's not known for busting his tail off so you have to question if he still has speed left in the tank. He's also looking for a SB ring before calling it a day...

6) P. Burress: We all know the question marks here... how much rust will there be coming back from prison? Has his demeanor changed? The upside might be worth the gamble...

7) S. Moss: The return of Santana Moss? He's still looking for a SB ring and is a good route runner. He'll be cheaper than Holmes for a sure and would allow us time to develop the guys we drafted this year.

8) L. Moore: If he can't work out a deal with the Saints he'd be a terrific fit over here...

9) C. Ochocinco: Terrific route runner... does he still have love for the game? Also, does he still have something left in the tank? He could kick-off instead of Folk :p.

10) Trade for someone not on the list/Sign a FA not on the list
    http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2011WR.php

These are just the most likely options, imo, of course... anything can happen. We might play hard-love with Holmes and have him play on his restricted tender, we might be able to re-sign all three etc etc I just wanted an opinion on who you guys would like if we had to lose one of the two.

PS: I also think with some of the cheaper options we could afford to bring him in AND retain Brad Smith...

PPS: Steve Smith might be an option but I hate that guy so I haven't listed him...

#1 Mambo9, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I actually don't think Holmes will be with us next year, so it will leave us needing a clutch WR.

Was Sanchez's favourite weapon for a short time, possible.

VIDEO - Best FA WR's Moose is a prick

Vincent Jackson (SD)
    – The Chargers still have a lot of progress to be made in retaining their own players. Philip Rivers found great success even without his big name receivers earlier in the year, which seems to make Vincent Jackson more expendable. Coach Norv Turner has paid complements to his star receiver, saying he’s a better player this year than he was last, which sends a message to the front office that they shouldn’t hesitate to bring him back in 2011 and onward.

Sidney Rice (MIN) – Coming back from a pretty serious hip injury, Rice continued to impress with his athletic ability and added to his highlight reel. His per game numbers didn’t mimic his dominant 2009 season, but that’s expected with lesser quarterback and offensive line play. Rice figures to play a large role in the organization’s future, making his re-signing every bit the priority of finding a playoff-caliber quarterback.

Malcom Floyd (SD) – Floyd was given the highest tender last offseason and proved worthy of the contract in the games he played. After Philip Rivers’ performance in the absence of both Floyd and Jackson, the Chargers may decide to only keep one of the two and trade the other to make improvements elsewhere (maybe a new special teams coach). Floyd is a tall, athletic downfield threat with the body control to become a number one receiver in the league.

Steve Smith (NYG) – Smith was the perfect slot receiver for the Giants’ terrific threesome and was on his way to his second consecutive 1000-yard season before an injury derailed him in the middle of the year and leaves the start of his 2011 season in jeopardy. The Giants will know his situation best and are therefore the frontrunners for Steve Smith.

Terrell Owens (CIN) – It looks like the mouth on this man is directly correlated with his performance. The minute he starts putting up some decent numbers, he begins sharing his nonsense again. Production for the 37 year old TO surprised many this season, but by late season, he began blaming the coaching staff for its’ offensive struggles which many have reported will keep the Bengals from bringing him back. If he can find a new home next year, it would be his 6th different team in 9 seasons. He’s burned plenty of bridges and already had plenty of difficulty finding a team last offseason and no team has proven to be more kind to players looking for another chance than the Bengals. Given the talented receiver free agent class, I have a feeling this could have been the last season from TO in the NFL.

Randy Moss (TEN) – No one predicted this 2010 season for Moss. Just as loudly as he entered the league over a decade ago, he seems to be going away just as quietly. The Titans placed the only waiver claim on Moss who was released after a catering incident in Minnesota. Like TO, has he burned too many bridges too? If there’s any team that can light a fuse in Moss, it’s his old Patriots, but do they want the headache? Brady certainly doesn’t seem to need the help anyway.

Mike Williams (SEA) – Is there anyone out there—Lions fans excluded—that didn’t love to see Mike Williams playing some good football for his old college coach? Let’s keep it simple, he’s staying in Seattle.

James Jones (GB) – Will the Packers be willing to pay Jones like a starting receiver? If not, he may be one of the first ones out of Green Bay if he becomes an unrestricted free agent. He’s as talented as any number of starting wideouts and has shown flashes that he could be just that. He has a knack of dropping passes here and there, but aside from that, James Jones is a complete receiver who can run the entire tree.

Steve Breaston (ARI)
    – The Cardinals know the health of Breaston’s knee better than any other teams. If it checks out clean, they also know his abilities better than anyone else. He’s a breakout star in the making and would form a formidable duo with Larry Fitzgerald if the team could get their quarterback situation

Other Notable Free Agents:
    Early Doucet (ARZ)
    Brian Finneran (ATL)
    Donte' Stallworth (BAL)
    TJ Houshmandzadeh (BAL)
    Rashied Davis (CHI)
    Devin Aromashadu (CHI)
    Chansi Stuckey (CLE)
    Sam Hurd (DAL)
    Jacoby Jones (HOU)
    Mike Sims-Walker (JAC)
    Kevin Curtis (MIA)
    Hank Baskett (MIN)
    Greg Lewis (MIN)
    Lance Moore (NO)
    Courtney Roby (NO)
    Derek Hagan (NYG)
    Darius Reynaud (NYG)
    Brad Smith (NYJ)
    Johnnie Lee Higgins (OAK)
    Legedu Naanee (SD)
    Ben Obomanu (SEA)
    Laurent Robinson (STL)
    Danny Amendola (STL)
    Mark Clayton (STL)
    Maurice Stovall (TB)
    Santana Moss (WAS)

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/fa/wr.html

3. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I actually edited Ochocinco instead of Stuckey because I thought the general consus thought he was the better option.

I would love to keep Edwards, Cothcery and Smith and bring Stuckey back with us. He would be cheap, knows the system (important if the lock-out goes on) and would be a solid target through the middle for Sanchez.

4. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

If the lockout continues, I don't think Stuckey can be a Jet.

5. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I don't think we're going to sign any big name Slot WRs. Kerley was drafted to fill that role. So guys like L.Moore or Steve Smith (who apparently has a significant knee injury that the Giants tried to keep under wraps) wouldn't make sense for the Jets.

Not saying Kerley is ready to assume that role right away....so a 1-year stopgap slot receiver would make sense (if they move Cotch to the outside when Braylon or Holmes isn't resigned).

I envision the Jets maybe signing a depth WR after TC cuts....Stuckey would be a nice possibility.

6. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Yes, that makes sense, and I would quite like to see Stuckey Back

7. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Randy Moss only because it'd be funny. If he acts up just cut his ass.

8. Denny

Denny Active Member

You forgot to add Plaxico.

9. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

It'd also be funny to see homers say he'd catch passes over the middle because everybody loves to play for Rex

10. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Yup I know I forgot... maybe can a mod change Roy Williams and put him in... thanks...

11. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

done.

*Phillystaxxx*

12. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I like Malcom Floyd also Eric Weddle is a free agent, I wonder if Cro can talk to these guys. Wouldn't mind adding that pair.

I know Weddle is a FS, just saying.

13. NickD

NickD New Member

Ugh, what a list of degenerates... Lance Moore is the best option. Gets down the field, doesn't have lots of baggage, will be moderately priced. Unfortunately, I don't know if he fits our scheme well enough.

If the Jets view Cotchery as our 3 as they did last year (and with his injuries they should), then we need to bring in two starting caliber WRs. Holmes and Edwards need to be resigned, because chemistry with the QB is more important than the dollars. Edwards would be easy to replace with this class of free agents as his skill match well with many others (big body, average hands, and average speed with lots of natural ability), but there are not many options to replace Holmes. Holmes speed and route running ability can't be matched by anyone available.

14. casman02

casman02 New Member

Who needs a slot receiver when we have Scotty McKnight

15. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

going with the mossman here.

16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

TO would look good in Jets green.

17. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

If Edwards leaves I'd like to bring in T.O. for cheap and also keep B. Smith.

If Holmes leaves I'd be all for bringing back Stuckey...

18. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

He'd look better on his face after Revis busted him up again.

19. kylepicklehead

kylepicklehead New Member

PLAX:

Because he would be motivated to produce and be known again for his big play ability. He's a tall body; significant Red Zone Threat. Him and Braylon/Tone would be a sick combo if he doesn't come back all rusty. I'm sure he was practicing as a part of the Gridiron Gang in Jail though for sure, so he'll be ready.

20. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

the only real starters available are Vincent Jackson, Malcom Floyd and Sidney Rice. So losing Edwards would really be tough to replace.

Losing a slot guy is not going to be as hard to replace, we have Kerley who is the long term option and of course, there is always the opportunity to bring back a guy like Stuckey who I think would really like to come back...