What's your Jets draft grade?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JohnnyThaJet, Apr 30, 2011.

?

Grade?

1. A

21.1%
  2. B

72.5%
  3. C

6.3%
  4. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Right, and their is nothing wrong with that. I know the whole idea is to stick to your board, so I cant fault the Jets for that. But at some point, their has to be some pass rusher which matches up with the Jets board

I think this draft was kinda crappy as far as potential rush linebackers go, so I understand why the Jets wouldnt take one

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I Grade this draft a C-, I will not go into depth on all the players as you guys have done a great job, but other than the defensive players, the other guys were just a reach.

I love the Macelroy pick but as long as BS is our OC, I see this guy as another Chad Pennington if he had to go in for MS.

As far as OLB the Jets had a chance to fill a need and passed up on Chris Carter, how much this guy becomes a monster OLB for the Steelers?

Not impressed by this draft at all, I see half of these picks on the practice squad or cut

3. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

You could argue that we found the heir apparent to 4 players (Wilkerson/S. Ellis, K. Ellis/Jenkins, Powell/LT, Kerley/B. Smith).

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Powell's value was dead on.

Kerley's value was dead on.

McKnight would not have gotten drafted but its the last pick in the draft, who cares.

Wilk, Ellis, Powell will all make the team. McElroy will make the team and stay on it for 2-4 years seeing if he understands the game well enough to be a backup.

So you see McKnight and Kerley getting cut, then? That's not half that's two players.

There was one reach.

The Steelers are no better than anyone else in the late rounds, so lets not think Carter is going to be a godsend.

5. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I'll be very surprised if McKnight and Kerley get cut.

6. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

+ McElroy/Brunell.

7. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I think the Jets did extremely well. I like all the players the Jets got, but I would have liked to see them take at least one linebacker.

I think Scotty McKnight and Bilal Powell are two very undervalued guys that we got at good spots.

-X-

8. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

That too. And in the process, we're saving a lot of money.

9. Prince of Thieves

Prince of Thieves New Member

It looks very much like S. McKnight will stick

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

It doesn't make any sense to me either.

Kerley can easily have 25 receptions this year and grow into his role.

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

need 5 wideouts for the 53 man. Edwards has one locked up if resigend and this seems likely. Cotchery should be back again, thats two. That leaves 3 spots for Holmes, Smith, Kerely, McKnight, and Turner. I would think Turner is as good as gone meaning one of Smith or Holmes has to go to keep both picks on the 53 man roster. Very likely IMO.

12. ........

........ Trolls

How about this: I'll bet NONE of these players get cut, and Scotty's the only one with a shot at heading to the PS. Even that shot goes away if we can only bring back Edwards and not Holmes.

We very well could have only 3 vet receivers on the roster, and with our holes and need to re-sign players, it's cheaper to fill the extra spots with sure handed rookies.

McElroy likely wins the 3rd QB spot. I don't see O'Connell as a serious challenger.

Powell is insurance for Shonn Greene. He's not going on the PS to get scooped up and leave us with two backs in the same mold.

Use your head. If you think half these guys have a shot at getting cut, you don't have a clue about the state of the team.

13. CatoTheElder

Not to mention the fact that both guys have a shot at taking over return duties.

Holmes and Smith are likely gone at this point.

I didn't really think we were going to be able to keep both Holmes and Edwards on this team after this season. Two guys wanting to get paid like #1 WRs weren't going to be satisfied by the same team.

Kerley's selection seems to be the death toll for Smith. Great special teams player, especially on punt returns, can make people miss with the ball in his hands, took a few carries at TCU and even had a TD completion to Andy Dalton in their game against Utah last season (5-7, 153 yards, 1TD/1INT for his career).

McKnight will most likely never step in for Holmes' big play abilities but he can replace his role for the team as a slot receiver. Dude has great hands and runs great routes, he could be a perfect fit for the underneath game.

14. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

This. Care to elaborate, Johnny? Do you honestly think Tanny would have drafted Ellis if there was any chance at all that he'd go to prison? I don't.

Ellis is a stud. The Jets had him rated as the 36th best player in the draft. He has a high ceiling and a nasty streak. Once he gets in better aerobic conditioning/shape, works on some technical issues, improves his recognition of traps, and learns the system, I think it won't take him very long to become a better NT than Pouha, and I like Pouha. I don't see how you can't give him at least a B+ if not an A. He was an absolute steal where we got him.

15. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Au contraire, mes amis. I did go WOW!!! I'm still in a state of shock that the Jets got both Wilkerson and Ellis. IMO, there are only a couple of other scenarios that could have been any better for the Jets, and that includes the top players in the draft. Considering where they were picking and they got Ellis at the bottom of the 3rd round, it's amazing. I didn't know much of anything about Powell before the draft because I wasn't even considering a RB, but looking at his video, I love the pick and can see why Rex wanted him. I think he could be better than Greene. He's certainly got better hands, and isn't one-dimensional like Greene. I love the Kerley pick almost as much as I do the Wilkerson & Ellis picks. I knew there was no way we'd get AJ Green or Julio Jones, nor did I want a 1st round WR. I loved Jerrell Jernigan, but didn't want to spend even a 3rd round pick on a WR. I wanted a WR somewhere in rounds 4-7. The guys that I identified that I really liked and wanted the Jets to nab one of were Kerley, Denarius Moore, Greg Salas, Adrick Robinson, Scotty McKnight and Michael Galatas. I figured the latter would be available as a UDFA, but would have been happy to take him in the 7th. Of that group, the one I wanted the most was Kerley. I think those who think he won't make a contribution as a WR this year or may not even make the roster are wrong. I think he's going to be a dynamic player for the Jets from day one. He's a playmaker, be it as a WR or a returner. I can easily see him scoring as a WR, PR and KR in his rookie season, and think he could go for more than 25 catches if given the opportunity. I think he's that good.

With regard to Ellis, I don't see him as a long term prospect and there's no "eventually" to it. I think he will make an immediate impact as part of the rotation, and wouldn't be at all surprised if he wound up supplanting Pouha as the starting NT by the beginning of the 2012 season, if not by the end of the 2011 season. In my opinion, it's just a matter of how good he wants to be and how hard he's willing to work. The sky's the limit with him.

I also disagree that Powell isn't a draft pick for this year. I'd be willing to bet that he earns some carries this year, that he's too good to keep off the field. RB is the easiest position in the NFL for a rookie to come in and do well. He doesn't have to necessarily get stronger or have better conditioning. As part of a rotation, I think he will do very, very well. With the 4 RBs the Jets have now, they may not have 2 - 1,000 yard rushers as the Panthers did 2 years ago, but I could see the quartet rushing for between 1,750 and 2,250 yards if the Jets re-commit to the running game. They could use Edwards, Kerley, Keller, and the other receivers just enough to keep opposing Ds honest, and pound the ball, totally beating down/wearing out opposing Ds.

I don't see Taylor being brought back. He's too old, the Jets are too limited capwise, and have too many FAs as it is. Even if Holmes and Cromartie aren't re-signed, the Jets may need or decided to use the available $s to sign some other FAs (S, OL or LB). Of the older FAs, the only one I see being possibly brought back is Ellis. I think Taylor, Pryce and Jenkins are all history as far as the Jets are concerned.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

It's another one of those "we didn't get a pass rusher so it's all bullshit" mentalities.

17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

You know how the Jets deal with these RBs. Powell will be red shirted.

My grade is tentatively an A-

It will be an A or C depending if Ellis is exonerated.

I've been all for taking DLine help for 2 drafts now.

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

That is not my opinion, I gave the team credit for some good picks. Why is everyone so quick to wield such a wide brush?

19. CatoTheElder

Same mentality as Hobbes calling last year's draft a wast when we didn't get Golden Tate in the 2nd round.

20. ........

........ Trolls

Would you care to tell us WHY you feel so quick to write off picks as guys who will "probably be cut".