Ngata for 2 firsts

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SuperBowl50, Feb 16, 2011.

1. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I guess that's why every general manager is itching to cough up 2 1st round picks for a DE....that's chump change. :rolleyes:

2. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

edit: nvm delete

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Ya might want to take a look at our current roster before you talk about all that "depth".

4. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

You're cherry picking the best players out of these drafts. At best, we get 1 of these players in keeping 2 first rounders. Honestly, I'd rather have Ngata.

5. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

We're in a unique situation in that we have the 30th pick in the draft and have a system where he'd thrive. It's only 3 picks from being a 2nd rounder. Would it make sense for the Packers to get him? Possibly. I actually think Pittsburgh has a decent reason to get him, too, but they're traditionally not active in the free agent market. Let me put it this way. If he had a decent contract, most teams would gladly give up a pick 3 picks away from the 2nd round plus a 1st round next year for him.

6. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

It is pretty fun actually-- trying to determine the value of a current star, vs a draft pick.

I don't really want to trade OUR two picks for Ngata, but I think the guy is absolutely worth that. We need to make a few picks who play at a high level, on the cheap. We've been mortgaging the future a bit, and it's time to settle down and pick up some cheap talent.

7. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

To look at the question differently, would you trade the 2011 and 2012 Jets firsts for Nick Fairley if you knew there would be a rookie cap this year?

I would in a second.

8. lakersmetsjets49ers

what the jets need is a good draft this year and to try and retain as many of their key free agents as possible. almost every great team is built through smart drafting

9. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

Ngata is this years Revis. Oakland did not do Baltimore any favors with the contract for Seymour. Seymour gets 15million a year at 31 years old. The bidding starts above that and 2, #1's. Count me out.

10. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

ngata is a good player, but not worth two first rounders.

11. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

Yikes. 2 yrs 30 million with 22.5 guaranteed. There goes my proposal for 7 years 80 million. He's worth it, though.

12. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

we need too worry about getting holmes, edwards and smith signed.

13. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

Smith is a 2-3 million/yr player and we need only one of Holmes/Edwards. I doubt that they'll all be gone.

14. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Not for the Jets, not know that he is in line to get a Revis type deal. Not ever really, but definitely not know.

15. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

No, those are not cherry picked players out of the draft. Those players selected with the two first rounders we are discussing giving up, a 30th pick and a pick that would hopefully be between 24-32.

What I was trying to say is there is a ton of talent in those spots and giving up two first rounders means we are giving up a chance to draft two studs at great price for one all pro at an outrageous price along with losing a couple of quality starters due Ngata's salary demands.

16. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Even if Smith is a 2-3 million player (and I bet he costs more but it's impossible to make an accurate prediction without knowing the salary cap) the Jets might not be able to afford him.

The big problem is that if there's a high cap number (say 140 million), there will be a mandatory minimum that teams have to spend (say 130 million) and teams like Tampa Bay and the Chiefs who played on the cheap last year are going to have to ramp up their spending a ton, in some cases by $60 million, and who are they going to spend it on? Free agents.

17. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

You picked the best players from the last 5 drafts that went around 24-32 (why you chose Woodley, I don't know). We have a chance to get something similar, but it's in no way guaranteed. For every Chris Johnson, there's Mike Jenkins, Duane Brown and Antoine Cason (the three picks after Johnson at #24). Not exactly studs.

The chances we get a stud are around 20%. The chances we get a starter are around 50%. Sure, it's possible we get lucky and get 2 studs for 1st rounders the next two drafts, but that's going to happen to maybe 2 teams in the entire league. I'd rather take the sure thing.

18. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Why is Keller on that list? He is clearly the worst player on that list.

But I agree with the premise. You never give up 1st round picks unless you are getting something special. And while Ngata is good, he does not put this team over the top, hence he is nothing special. Instead, he will basically cost the team 2 picks and because the team has little cap room, probably 2 of the top free agents that we have.

19. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

And how many more players will the Jets have to dump to pay this guy? The Jets need to take care of the in-house business before they look to add players.

20. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I'm glad work has been busy!!

Haloti shit this will never happen. Do we expect every player to come play for the Vet minimum?