DT Shaun Rogers cut by Browns

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MikeHoncho, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Eternity

Eternity Member

Jenkins-Pouha-Rogers. Now that is one freaking hefty DL. If we can keep Jenkins and get Rogers in here cheap, I would love it. Sure everybody says we should get some young guys, but the reality is that finding a young guy with the size/talent/work ethic is hard, especially where we are drafting. We have limited draft picks and other needs on this team. Reasonably priced FA talent is always a good option.

Jenkins-Pouha-Rogers, w/ Devito and Ropati in the rotation. :drool: Nobody would be running on us, and Jenkins and Rogers would give us more of a push up the middle, especially on passing downs, than we got from our DL this year.

2. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

and then throw in a young draft pick to learn behind those veterans.. that'd be nice

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

No, you're missing the point. The point is he valued some of his former players much higher than most, or actually all teams would have in that situation. Do you think there was a big demand for Brett Ratliff and Kenyon Coleman around the league? I realize he wasn't looking to draft a qb in the first round there.. but he knew full well other teams were. And he should have been able to get more than what he got for the #5 pick. I'm glad he didn't.

2 average starting players, a long-shot project qb, the #17 and #52 overall picks for the #5 overall pick that you know is a highly touted quarterback?

4. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

Rogers was due 5.5 million this coming year

5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Exactly.. 350 pound guys that can move like Rogers or Jenkins don't grow on trees. It's not like he's 38 years old either.. he's 32, with no real history of injuries. He could definitely give us at least 2 years while we search for a future replacement.

If we were somehow able to go into the season with Jenkins, Pouha, Rogers, DeVito, Pitoitua, and Dixon or Gilbert to groom behind them, then we can afford to put off drafting a lineman this year. We have limited picks thanks to the Cro trade and we have more pressing needs.. like OLB's who can rush the passer.

6. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Mangini had two options, either trade down with us, or stay put and select the guy they targeted (Alex Mack) at #5. Normally a team trading up for a QB is bidding against other team for the best package. We weren't, so Mangini took what he could get because he knew it was more important to trade down for his franchise, if memory serves they traded down 3 times in th efirst round which added youth to their team in addition to bodies mangini wanted to help run his system out of the gate. He took the best offer he had, if Washington had actually been bidding with us, we likely would have had to give up more to move into that spot or wait it out...

7. The Great American

The Great American Well-Known Member

Another veteran cut:

The Atlanta Falcons have announced that safety Erik Coleman has been released. Coleman, 5-foot-10, 201 pounds, was signed as a free agent by the Falcons in 2008. He was originally drafted in the fifth round of the 2004 NFL Draft (143rd overall) by the New York Jets.

8. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

This is actually what I don't want to happen. I don't want the FO using a Rogers signing as an excuse not to draft a DL in the draft. You can't just wait until Rogers and Jenks and Ropati are all ineffective and then decide to draft DL and just throw him into the system.

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He acquired guys that knew his system, along with picks, a QB who at the time (you'll laugh now in hindsight) half this board thought had potential, and improved his team in multiple areas instead of one. The trade benefitted both the NYJ and CLE, both then and in the long run. We were a franchise QB away from yearly contention, they weren't/aren't.

Not everybody was sold on Sanchez.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...shoulda used Drew Coleman Dad's new laptop.

11. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. You guys sound like Jets fans from 5-10 years ago that were salivating over signing other teams' castoffs to upgrade our roster. Almost every one of you talks about Rogers being 32 like it's only a few days older than 25. 32 is getting OLD for a DL, especially one who has played as many snaps as Rogers. He also has never been that good. He's been a career underachiever and often a malcontent. He's only had 1-2 really good years his whole career.

Also, I saw a comment that Rogers would love to play for Rex. What makes you think that? He's never been a high motor type of guy. He's lazy and takes plays off. I think he knows Rex would expect too much of him and work him too hard. I'm positive he would want no part of Rex. He's never shown that he has a burning desire to win, only that he wants $$$$s. IMO he's not Rex's kind of player and I seriously doubt if Rex would have any interest in him. I also doubt whether Rob would have interest in him or any of the other Browns castoffs. Dallas has a much better team. Why would he want any/all of those older Browns who were never that good anyway and are all on the downside of their careers? Even if he does, that's his problem.

Besides, as someone else pointed out if the Jets sign older FAs, they may well be tempted to ignore the DL in the draft, and that would be a HUGE mistake imo.

I say a big NO to Rogers.

The Jets need to get younger and faster on the DL, not older and slower. They need high motor guys that are gonna go hard on every down. The Jets need to give Pitoitua, Gilbert, and Dixon every shot to show what they can do. If they draft a DE, then he needs to be given a shot as well. If they bring back Ellis, they know what he can do, and I'd MUCH rather have Ellis back than Rogers.

#31 joeklecko, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  12. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

sign this monster ... like someone said earlier this will allow us to draft a project tackle and let rex work his d-line magic on him

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

you write a lot and maybe 8% is correct.

Every "character" guy has played his ass off for Rex. Rodgers knows he's not getting a big contract this season due to labor uncertainty. Dallas is not the better team. I didn't read the rest because you thought Dallas is a better team.

14. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

he didnt start 1 game last year. this guy is a perfect rotational player. he ALSO has been on SHIT teams HIS ENTIRE CAREER. He may give a lil more for Rex, and the Jets.

15. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

And what you "read" was wrong. I didn't say that Dallas was better than the Jets. I said that Dallas was better than the Browns.

And if you think Rogers is an answer for the Jets' DL, YOU'RE the one who is wrong!

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

where did I say he was the answer?

That's what you think he'll be if he's here. I know what he is, a short term solution that will aid younger players behind him.

And Rex get the most out of his DL. Have you seen Mike Devito play? He's not supposed to be that good.

17. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

If he wants to play for dirt cheap, he is definitely a guy that can help this team. Chances are he elands in either Dallas with Rob or here with the Jets.

18. Montana

Montana Member

With Jay Ratliff in house, I doubt Rob would have much interest in bring Rogers over with him.

That said, if he believes in him as a player, he'd most certainly recommend him to Rex.

19. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I said "if" you think...

Yes, Rex gets his players to play better, but I think Rogers could be an exception. Yes, DeVito has become much better than I ever imagined he could/would, but he had a reputation as a hard worker and someone with a good motor. Rogers doesn't. I don't think he would aid younger players behind him, either. What's he gonna teach them, how to be a malcontent? How to take plays off? I think he'd just be a hindrance. Because of his experience, Rex would probably feel like he had to play him, and it would hurt the possible development of younger players like Pitoitua, Dixon and Gilbert (IF they can ever amount to anything).

We're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. I've had it with the older FAs. Most simply don't contribute that much. Younger players come into the league every year and play at a very high level. I have no problems with younger, cheaper FAs, who can still learn and improve, and who should be faster than the older guys. Draft picks and younger FAs are how, imo, this team should be built. Parcells, the Redskins and others have tried the older FA route before, and it seldom works. It messes with the cap and either hinders the development of younger players or prevents the team from seeing if those younger players have what it takes or not. Enough with the stop gaps, re-treads, and 1-2 year rentals.

20. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I'm just curious where these young, fast 350 pound linemen are supposed to come from that are going to help the team as much as a guy like Rogers can next year? They don't grow on trees you know.. and we're picking very late in the first round. We don't have a 2nd rounder. Are we supposed to get a good DT who can help THIS YEAR in the late 3rd or late 4th rounds?

Sure, we can draft a guy to groom for the future, but in case everyone hasn't noticed.. we are a SUPER BOWL CONTENDER.. THIS YEAR. If we'd had a healthy Jenkins or a Shaun Rogers this past year, there's a very good chance we would have been in the Super Bowl.

Also, don't forget that we have a few guys on the DL that Rex and the front office seem to like. Tevesau is a guy I have high hopes for, and I think Rex does too. You don't activate a guy for the AFC Championship game and give him 15-20 snaps if you don't have confidence in him. Then we have Pitoitua coming back, Dixon who Tanny said he has high hopes for, and Jarron Gilbert, a 3rd round pick 2 years ago, who the team though enough of to move to the active roster to prevent another team from scooping him up.