Explain to me how Tannenbaum doesn't win executive of the year.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Feb 9, 2011.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I love Tom Dimitroff. I think he's done a fantastic job in Atlanta. He's done a great job bringing in a coach and QB who have made an entire fanbase forget about Vick and that garbage mess. He's had sustained success which is an objective for all teams in the NFL.

But with the moves Tanny made this season, and what he was able to do this year within the Final Four rules and manage a cap and keep egos in check and have more success than the Falcons this season, how did he not win it?

I don't get how he's going to get snubbed this season with the limitations he had.

I'm not one to go nuts about these awards when Jets personnel don't win. It really never bothers me in the slightest. But Tanny is an elite GM with what he does with personnel, salary, and vision for the future. So explain to me how he didn't win this year.

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I agree totally. I think they base these awards on what team wasn't good last year and made a big improvement this year.

The Jets were probably looked at as a team that was already a contender and they're still a contender. Plus the draft class was a dud based on production this season.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I do wonder if its because the Falcons had the best record in the NFC. But to be honest I thought the Jets were a better team.

And the Falcons were hurt last season. They got healthy this year and they still went 1 and done... but I know that the playoffs don't count with these awards. I think they should.

I can't believe Tanny didn't win it this year. I don't see who else could have bested him with the limitations he had. And the Jets draft class was a dud this year too.

And Dimitroff won it in 08 in his first season

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Yeah the Dimitroff selection is a curious one. I dont really see what big moves he made to bolster their team.

Honestly, as much as I love Tannenbaum and what he did this past year, it's hard to say Ted Thompson of the Packers didn't deserve this. The way they overcame a ton of injuries and had backups ready to step in at every position was very impressive.

5. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

I doubt Tanny could give a dick, but I agree with you. When we win the Lombardy Tanny is going to be blowing that thing while the confetti falls.

6. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

How some people are surprised by this I really don't know. The Jets and anyone part of this organization will not get any respect, ever. Unless we win the Super Bowl. Come on guys, when a team has the name New York before it people hate it. You should know by now. We will never get respect until we win the VLT.

A lot of people from Tampa are upset that Mark Dominik didn't win the award. Rightfully so, building a team in which so many rookies came out and produced for them. The signing of Blount, when no one wanted to give him a chance. I tell my friends from Tampa that are upset the only reason that Dominik didn't win it was because they failed to reach the playoffs.

7. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I'm not surprised at all. As one poster said, the Jets don't get a lot of respect, and that's understandable based on their history and the circus the team was this year in spite of their continued success.

While Tanny made great moves getting LT, Holmes and Cromartie, the draft, at least in terms of this past season, was terrible. Wilson looked like he was in way over his head. Ducasse couldn't even sniff the field. That's horrible for the top 2 picks on a supposed SB contender. Then there were McKnight's troubles, and all the off field issues. I'm sure that counted against him. I also think Rex's cockiness and talking big probably worked against Tanny. One of their biggest needs entering the season was upgrading the pass rush, and short of signing Jason Taylor, he did nothing to address that. The D wasn't as good as in 2009, either. In short, I don't think Tanny deserved it.

I don't follow Atlanta, so I don't know what moves their GM might have made, but I doubt he deserved it more than Ted Thompson.

I also think Ted Thompson deserved it more than anyone. He put GB's roster together, and what they accomplished is nothing short of amazing. It almost reaches the level of "miraculous." Kevin Colbert also deserves votes as Pittsburgh's OL was supposed to be a weak link, yet they made it to the SB in spite of losing 3 starters from that line the last month of the season and the guys who stepped in hardly missed a beat. In addition, they had to play the first month without Roethlisberger.

8. ........

........ Trolls

Exactly! Thompson should have won this season, not Tannenbaum. They're not going to give it to someone who didn't have a single impact rookie, either.

9. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I was surprised by the choice too. The Falcons already had Ryan, Turner, White, Gonzalez, Abraham, Lofton, etc. It wasn't Dimitroff who made all those guys and the team better, it was the players and coaches. Dunta Robinson was the only big move I can remember the Falcons making this offseason, not including their draft picks. Tannenbaum, meanwhile, brought in Holmes, Cromartie, and LT despite having the very limited "final 4" rules, and also got an extension done with Revis.

10. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

Kyle Wilson had minimal, if any impact. Joe McKnight hardly saw the field except for a meaningless game. John Conner rode the bench most of the season (albeit behind a should-be HOF fullback).

Yes, he brought in a lot of talent, but on the surface it appears as though his latest draft sucked. He also has 17 players, over half of which are integral parts of the team, moving into free agency.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I do agree about Thompson, but even he didn't have the limitations of the Final Four.

But he did have a better draft, and his depth on that team is insane. But even the Jets have depth.

I just don't like that Dimitroff won it again. Is it because the Jets and Packers were 6th seeds? That's my only guess. They didn't win their divisions.

12. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Fuck the haters, Tanny is a great GM.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

And resigned brick and mangold.

He did a lot this year. I can imagine he was considered. If they release a press statement saying he was in contention with Dimitroff, I'll shut up about this.

14. TonyIommi

TonyIommi Active Member

Win a division title or the AFC and you'll get respect. You don't need to win the SB, just get to it.

15. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Over coming injuries should be credited towards the HC, not the GM. GM has no hands in injuries, unless he scrambles during the year and makes a couple of healthy trades.

Lets face it. Patriots were the best team this year and if Cotchery doesn't make that play, we probably would not have won. Patriots would have won the SB. Teams like Pitsburgh and Green Bay should not be a challenge for Patriots, who can change their gameplan to air attack and avoid those teams strength. Patriots rushed way too many times against the Jets. It wasn't a bad effort, but had they passed, they would have been better off targeting our LBs.

Green Bay definitely wasn't the best team this year. Yeah, they had injuries. Every team does. Yeah they won. But we all know how terrible we played against them, how bad our special team was and how those two int calls went in their favor instead of being a simultaneous possession. And yet, we lost by 9 points (2 missed FGs, 2 flukey GB ints).

We play them again, we win 8 out of 10 times. Im happy they beat Steelers, but again, they weren't the best team of the year.

16. Odd Neck Stems

Building up enough depth prior to the season that allows you to survive a lot of potentially decimating injuries definitely should be, in part, credited to the GM. The coaching staff has to do a good job utilizing back-ups, but the GM has selected and brought in those back-ups.

17. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

i agree with the thompson call. the backups on the packers not only filled in, they excelled.

18. alljetsallday

alljetsallday New Member

tanembaum is a GENIUS guy never has me worried in the offseason makes sick moves at of no where and is a financial wiz

19. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Because he is part of a disfunctional frat like organization with a perv coach and a bunch of malcontents.

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

It's hard for the victims to admit to being raped.