Revis wants jets to bring back cromartie

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by S.HOLMES.10, Feb 3, 2011.

1. S.HOLMES.10

S.HOLMES.10 Member

This offseason, Darrelle Revis is worried about getting another Jets cornerback a contract with the team.

Revis told NJ.com he would like to see free agent Antonio Cromartie return.

"I hope (GM) Mike Tannenbaum and (coach) Rex (Ryan) pull for the guy to keep him here," Revis said from a Motorola Super Bowl event in Dallas, according to the website.

"He played a big role in our defense and he helped out a lot, made a lot of plays."

Cromartie will be one of many free agents in limbo once the NFL's labor agreement expires March 4. The Jets acquired him last offseason from the Chargers for a third-round pick. The controversial corner had three interceptions with the Jets and his kickoff return in the final minute of the wild-card round set up Nick Folk’s winning field goal against the Colts.

Revis was non-committal when asked if he would talk to Jets brass about Cromartie.

"That time has to come," said Revis, who held out last offseason while negotiating a new contract. "I have to see what's going on with everything and what the situation is."

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Simple solution for Darrelle. Take a pay cut so we can afford Cro, Holmes and Edwards and he'll have better shots at future SBs.

3. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

So is cromartie overrated still? He seems to be good enough for Revis.
    He's defnitely good enough for me.

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

yeah right.

5. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Something tells me Tanny isn't going to want to talk to Revis about anything contract-related for a while.

6. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

Yep. Actually a valid point

7. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Revis only wants him back because Cro hooked up him up with some fine poonany

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

hahaha thats great...and yeah, if revis hadnt hogged up all of the money, then making a deal with cro would most definitely happen

9. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Darrelle that aint no bottle of tanning lotion.

10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Wats he supposed to say?

11. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

He didn't have to say he wanted him back. I don't know what the question was but he could have just given some B.S. answer about how the business side of things needs to get worked out.

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I agree with Revis.
    Cro is a guy who had a solid year, plays bump and run great, and is eating our 2nd round pick next year.

We should at least try to bring him back.
    Whether or not we do depends on what Cro and his agent think he's worth.

I'd put him at around the top 20 money for CB position, and then let him no where near the media or my females in 2011.

13. GriffDog

GriffDog Member

If we didn't have kyle Wilson waiting in the wings he would have a better arguement but I am not sure if we are going to have any more money left for him.. you know that Rex is going to want to keep him though

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Trying to figure out a potential number for him, if they were to put him in the top 20 CB's paid.

Using 2009 salary numbers, the avg pay for CB's between the 15th and 25th highest paid at the position was about 5.4 mil.

That bar has gone up since then, so i'm thinking it would prob take at minimum 6.5 to 7 mil a year to get it done.

If they like what they've seen from him, its a good position to invest in..

15. steves850

steves850 Active Member

I wouldn't mind keeping Cro but I think he's a lower priority than the other F.A.'s looming.

16. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

How serious can I take an article that says we gave up a 3rd round pick for him.

Unless those previously leaked conditions for the Cromartie trade were false

17. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

In a cynical, sarcastic, honed on the streets of the Bronx way, I was saying the same thing to myself as I opened this thread.

Fat chance, though, as someone said.

18. Fightin'JetTitan

Fightin'JetTitan Active Member

Retaining Cro', while not seemingly a priority, is important in order to maintain
    chemistry & balance in the 2ndary. Cro', shaky in the beginning of the season,
    came on strong ending up with 17 p.d.'s while also proving to be extremely viable options as a more than capable return man. I believe that re-signing Cro' will create a deadly corner package that both he and Revis will benefit from.
    Ahhh, but therein lies the problem. With the CBA still in doubt, F.A. signings are a moot point right now until an agreement has been reached.
    Until then, there are several options Tanny can utilize in F.A. signings in order to circumvent "caps" some are which are protracted payments, "incentive bonuses" that are apart fr a contract yet maintain the "same language" as the underlying contract guaranteeing pmt after minimal perfs; "grace/option extension" payment clauses, etc. which many pro sports teams use to bypass cap rules.

I hope we can keep Cro' however this all comes down to the "owner/player" war I expect to be a long, worn out process.

19. osully55

osully55 Member

good. Cro was a good asset to the team. It's also really nice to see how united the team seems to be with other players

20. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Say goodbye to Harris then IMO.