Slaying the Hype Monster OR The Haters Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Green Hurricane, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Gimme a break with the smug draft-guy shit. I don't need to watch every damn play the guy's been in to see if he's good or not. I've seen the BCS championship game and about 30 minutes of youtube video on Newton. That may not be enough evidence if I were an NFL scout or General Manager but it's a hell of a lot more than enough to gauge him with an opinion on whether or not he's a good QB.

You guys have your opinion and I have mine. You may not agree with what I'm saying but there is no reason that what you think is right and mine wrong when it's all speculation at this point.

It doesn't take 50 hours of Vick scouting to see what type of QB he is. Cam Newton is the same deal. I know what he does. It's not like he's hiding some complex intricacies that I haven't seen.

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Newton was one of the most efficient passers in the country.

He put up excellent passing numbers in the best conference in college football.

He carried his team to a national championship - he's the reason why they ran the table...the reason they were able to make numerous comebacks against talented squads...the reason they were the best college football team in the world.

It's not speculation. You don't know what the hell you're talking about, especially if you only watched the BCS Championship and some clips on Youtube.

3. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Maybe you don't see it because you've never seen him play?

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...figured you'd compare him to Vick eventually.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Dude, he's seen Youtube videos.

6. Green Hurricane

Haha, it's so not.

7. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Why not. They're both unique QB's. Who am I going to compare him to as a threat to run, Peyton Manning?

As opposed to going back in time and watching games at Auburn. Last I checked what you can see on the internet/video is the same fucking thing projected through your mother's television set that you watched live. I just don't have to listen to some jerkoff SEC announcer in between plays.

Instead of you elitists hurling insults. SHOW ME why he is a good passer. I laid out my 2 cents. Obviously you don't agree so prove me wrong if it's completely off-base.

Tim Tebow - same shit.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

This elitist already gave you multiple reasons, peasant. I'm sorry that it's impossible for you to comprehend statistics. I'll try to make a Youtube video that displays them.

#2 in the entire country in passing efficiency.

He completed 66% of his passes.

He didn't lose a game.

He threw for over 2800 yards with 30 TDs and just 7 INTs. ...he also rushed for over 1400 yards and 20 TDs. Those are amazing passing numbers considering how much he carried the football.

I love how you keep bringing up Tebow, when the only things the two have in common is: Florida, a Heisman, and a national championship. I'm sure they'll both be first round picks too.

#48 Mr Electric, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  9. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Fine, let's bring up Tebow.

Junior year Cam Newton:

185 completions out of 280 attempts
    2854 yards
    66.1% completion percentage
    10.19 yards per attempt
    30 TD 7 INT

Junior year Tim Tebow:

192 completions out of 298 attempts
    2746 yards
    64.4% completion percentage (67% every other year)
    9.22 yards per attempt (10.8 in rookie season)
    30 TD 4 INT

Oh yeah, forgot. They both like to run with the football, in a gimmick offense.

How dare I compare them... so off base.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

We should compare him to Colin Kaepernick next! He likes to run too.

11. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I don't care for overrated players from the WAC

12. Green Hurricane

Or from the SEC apparently.

13. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Exactly!!!!!!

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

WAC > SEC

(rockefiller)

15. SuperNova

SuperNova New Member

As for overhyped players, is Rahim Moore really the #1 safety prospect in the draft? I've seen questions about the strength of his tackling ability, which seems to get lost when people get excited talking about his ball skills. Plus he's small, and has a thin frame.

I get that he has good instincts and anticipates plays well, but is he significantly better than someone like Sands? Aren't those safeties more scheme-specific? Plus, the argument about production is suspect because, yeah, 10 picks is excellent, but he dropped to only 1 INT this season.

16. Green Hurricane

There really in no consensus guy at the top of the safety rankings. Rahim Moore certainly has his deficiencies, and he wasn't as good this year as he was as a Soph, but I think just about all of the top guys have one or two big concerns. To be honest, the best safety in this draft may be Quinton Carter, simply because he seems to do just about everything well even though he lacks any mega-strengths.

17. tubby

tubby Active Member

totally off topic, but calling him a peasant was hilarious

18. Kid.Supreme

Kid.Supreme Banned

Blaine Gabbert. I do not believe in his "upside" in the least bit.

19. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I don't know you and don't have a history with any of you guys, so no insult from me. I don't understand how you can seriously compare Tebow and Newton, however. They both played in the SE Conf. and both played QB, and that's about where the comparison ends.

Tebow is a guy who plays QB in a think body, more in the vein of a TE or OL. He has a long, slow delivery, and if I remember correctly, doesn't hold the ball in the right position prior to throwing the ball. He isn't particularly fast or athletic.

Newton is an amazing athlete. He is amazingly fast for his size and nimble. He has a very strong, accurate arm and a pretty quick release. He has touch on the ball. The Newton I saw in the Championship game didn't even resemble the Newton I saw in all the other games I saw him play this past season, especially in the 2nd half. In the 2nd half he looked tired and sore and had suffered some kind of injury (a back injury, I think). It affected both his movement and his throwing. At that point, I think he was just holding on and trying to finish the game.

Vick is faster than most anyone else, but doesn't have power. Newton has both speed and power. He has the build of an agile DE or LB. Until this season, at the first sign of trouble on pass plays, Vick always looked to run the ball. Not so with Newton. Newton is more poised, and keeps his eyes downfield trying to find an open receiver. I'm sure there were probably times when Newton ran when he could have thrown the ball, but when he was able to run 30-50 yards without being touched, why risk throwing the ball? He was bigger than DB and many of the LBers. Once he was past the DL he had pretty clear sailing. That won't be the case in the NFL. I think he has shown enough intelligence that he'll adapt his game in the NFL.

20. Kid.Supreme

Kid.Supreme Banned

...power as in running power or arm strength?

because vick threw a 64 yd missile from the 4yd line to the 34 yd line of the opposing side to desean jackson against the redskins.. that shit was ridiculous.