Jets Should Get Aso (and build a temple)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Notorious J.E.T.S, Jan 27, 2011.

1. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

Locking up 25 million in the cornerback position (not to mention Wilson's rookie contract) is just not a smart investment, no matter what. We already saw what having two great corners on the outside did for us... it highly exposed the middle of the field.

If you're trading Aso for Cro, I'm not sure why you'd expect too much difference. Both of our corners will rarely be thrown at, and the middle of the field will be gashed for big runs and short passes.

Woodley. Target Woodley or Tamba Hali. They will help this defense much more for a lot less money. Honestly, who's to say Wilson won't develop into a great CB. We all saw his potential in college, now let's give him a chance to work with Revis over a full offseason and TC, and let's give him the sideline as an extra defender.

Asomugha is just gravy right now. Let's do what we all discussed should be done: get a real pass-rushing OLB, draft another BPA linebacker. Resign our wide receivers first.

2. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Calm down killer.

Why are you having such a hard time accepting that the Jets might make an effort to sign Asomugha this offseason? Is this some kind of Same Ol' Jets "expect the worst hope for the best" reverse psychology thing?

Nobody is stating this is a sure thing. We're just discussing the possibility. Relax.

3. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

If Cro is looking for anything close to Aso will get on the open market he is gonna be in for a rude awakening.

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I'm not being superficial.

But we've learned to expect the unexpected when it comes to Mike Tannenbaum.

I still can't believe he landed Holmes for a 5th round pick......or traded up for Sanchez for a bunch of roleplayers.

I don't want to comment on our cap situation....because without a new CBA....nobody knows how that landscape will look like.

Landing Aso probably won't happen....but there has to be a small part of you that believes that Tanny could pull it off.

When Rex is passionate about a player....he'll go to the ends of the earth to get him (ie his push for LT last year...from a hospital bed).

5. ukilledkenny

So your dick believes that Tanny could land Aso and you are just relaying the info to us?

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

oof.

my dick is concerned that you're showing concern.

7. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

After the year he "thinks" he had, and by all means, it was fairly decent, he's gonna try to get as much as possible. There's no way he's back, imo. When you got as many mouths to feed as he does and you have a job as lucrative as professional football player, he's gonna try to get the best offer possible. And considering he's considered a number one corner by a lot of teams, I think his yearly value will only be 1-2 million less a year than Aso.

8. ukilledkenny

lol, it was there for the taking.

I do agree with the don't put anything past Tanny stance. I just think this one is asking a bit much of him.

9. ukilledkenny

I just don't that kind of money for him but I have been wrong before.

10. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

It sound crazy, especially as Jets fans. We're spoiled with Revis. But Cro is considered a top 10-15 corner in the league...at this point. He had a couple of bumps in the road, as most corners not named Revis usually have, but he had a good season and I can see a team that needs a corner throwing him a lucrative contract.
    Pure speculation, but considering what most starting corners get paid, the difference between the two I don't think would be that much richer.

11. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

We'd ALL love for this to happen, and Tanny definitely has it in him to make it happen.

Still, in my opinion for whatever it's worth, Aso to the Jets is a longshot because of a bunch of reasons already mentioned--we drafted KW in the 1st round last year, we have Revis on a big contract, having that much of our cap tied up to the CB position would be insane, we have to worry about re-signing a bunch of our own guys, we may use any cap space to pursue FA DL/LBs since we're lacking talent/depth there.

12. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

It's probably not going to happen....the point I was trying to get across was with Tanny, nothing is out of the realm of possibility.

My hopes for the team are that we resign our own key free agents....and sign FA/draft players that will improve our pass rush. Anything over and above that is bonus material, imo.

If we lose Cromartie to FA.....either KDub steps into that role or we go out and find someone who can (and signing Aso certainly fits into that category).

/superficial :rolleyes:

13. IWillPeeGreen

IWillPeeGreen Member

ok it'd be cool and all to have Asomugha here, but then what would've been the point of spending a 1st and 2nd round pick on the same position?

here is something Rob Ryan told the media today

"If you're going to play a 3-4 and don't have outside linebackers, you don't have a defense,'' Ryan told the newspaper. "It starts with them.''

14. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

You're setting your hopes too high. The Jets have fairly limited dollars, lots of free agents, and not a lot of good draft picks. You probably can't resign all four good free agents (you might not be able to resign three even if you want to), you'll have to be lucky to get a good pass rusher as either a cheap free agent or a late first or late third round pick.

EDIT: Maybe you could trade the 1st, 3rd and 4th round picks or the 1st and future picks and move up in the draft so you could get a guy like Aldon Smith. Drafting someone who can help in the pass rush at OLB as a rookie is almost impossible when you're picking 30th.

#74 ManlyGenius, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  15. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I'm prepared to see some of our FA players let go.....I never once thought it was realistic to keep them all.

16. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

That's a lot easier to say when you have Demarcus Ware as one of your starting OLBs.

17. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Our corners will still have about $21 mil combined if we resign Cro to like a $5mil deal. And there is a huge difference between Cro and Aso. With Aso in the game, QBs can not avoid their top two targets. It leaves the opportunities for Revis or Aso on many more passing plays than the 33 passes at Aso and probably the 40+ at Revis. With Revis, opponents targeted Cro. With Aso, opponents targeted Raiders other secondary. With both of them together, opponents will look to target slot receiver and TEs. They did that all year, plus targeted their 2nd WR. With Aso and Cro, Manning can't beat us even if he has Collie. And we all know that the road to another AFCCG goes through Lucas Oil Stadium.

There are pros and there are cons. I think Tanny can pull trigger and keep the cap reasonable. If getting Aso means we lose Cromartie, LT and JT, I would not be opposed to it at all.

18. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Damn, bro. That's a lot to give up. We need those picks.

19. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Agreed.
    Aso filler

20. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

exactly.

That's one aspect of Tanny I'm uncomfortable with.....he has a penchant to trade away draft picks on a whim.

Granted...not all picks pan out, and getting proven players sometimes is the better route to take (Holmes trade for example).

But I can't remember the last time we had a full draft class.....and this year, our shelves need restocking. I don't want to trade any more picks away.