ESPN: Mike Wallace can dominate Darelle Revis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SienaSaints, Jan 18, 2011.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

So he's given up 4 passes for 54 yards over the course of 10 weeks. This sounds like a serious weakness. I hope Rex can cover it up somehow.

2. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

would this be classified as good "poop" material for Revis?

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

It's the exact same reason why Cro shut Moss out in the 2nd half of our game against the Pats in September. Cro's speed neutralized the deep threat. It's not Ward or Wallace that worry me. It's Miller and the 3rd WR being covered by Coleman, Pool, Smith and Lowery.

4. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I just like this sentence because he used archipelago, which technically means a group of islands, which you could think of the Jets secondary having been last week against the Pats.

Can someone design or maximize routes and plays to nibble at Revis? Sure they can. The guy isn't infallible. You spray enough bullets into a crowd and you are bound to hit someone too. Seems like it would be a lot easier to attack weaker parts of the defense though, than chipping away at the strongest.

Revis should come with a sign. Pass at your own risk.

5. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah if you really tried you could probably design a gameplan to complete 10 passes on him. Problem is you'd be lucky to get 40 yards out of it.

6. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

What are we paying millions to this guy for!!! :eek:hmy:

:wink:

7. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Exactly... and lose the game chasing your own tail.

8. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

exactly! i want revis on the slot or miller on third downs ... cro should be able to handle wallace and ward does not scare me at all

9. Coach K

Coach K New Member

blah blah blah.

we'll be fine as long as they keep the middle of the field covered.

10. SteelersDave

SteelersDave New Member

I do not think Wallace will be much of a producer in this game aside from drawing Revis/Cro away from the action. Maybe 3 for 55 yards. It will however be Miller time.

11. lillloyd

lillloyd New Member

I was thinking about this. If Revis shadows Wallace, I wonder if Pitt won't just send Wallace deep most of the time simply to stretch the field and expand the Jets' coverage responsibilities vertically. If Revis is shadowing him it's not as if he's going to get a ton of touches anyway...why not just use him to open things up underneath for the short-yardage "grunts" (Ward, Miller)?

Miller and Ward will definitely be important for those little 6-8 yard, move-the-chains type throws. I'm curious to see how the Jets handle Ward; he's great against zones but I wonder if they don't just man up on him on 3rd downs, since some of his "quick twitch" skills have eroded over time.

I do think Miller could have some success though. That will definitely be a key matchup.

12. SteelCurtain96

SteelCurtain96 Active Member

At the end of the day. Numbers/production don't mean as much as say....did you score touchdowns instead of field goals?

Mike Wallace might end up with 50 yards. Ward with 45. Miller with 40. Sanders/Brown 55 yards combined.

Ben might get 230 yards passing but if there's some touchdowns in there....it means a whole world of difference.

This article is a piece of shit by the way.

Looking forward to a defensive struggle.

13. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

What I think the Jets will do is man up the outside receivers and trust that Cro and Revis will be able to run with them deep. Then underneath they'll jam the TEs and slot receivers and flood coverage to the middle of the field. The risk you run with that is if the offensive line picks up the pass rush then Ben can break it to the outside and run for first downs since we can be beat running sideline to sideline

14. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I want Revis on Hines Ward....if Wallace beats us -- and I think Cro can cover him deep -- fine.

I don't want Ward to beat us.

15. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

this is backwards thinking. Wallace can beat us for a big play down the field which would/could result in points, or at minimum, a game changing play.

Ward, if he beats us, it will be within 20 yards.

We should put revis on ward in the red zone, and on wallace outside of it.

16. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah all it takes is for some poor technique by Cro on a deep ball for the game to be changed. In the red zone Revis on Ward but he should be on Wallace the rest of the game. Revis is better at press coverage anyway. Can't get open deep if you can't get off the LOS

17. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Well, its a game of inches, right? Might be very true on Sunday. I would have been more worried about Miller in this game if I had not seen what the Jets did to limit the field against the Pats, and keeping their 2 TEs from beating us. The TE play was one thing I felt the Ravens did really well against us in game one with Heap.

I am sure the Steelers guys will make some good plays. Just hoping the defense can hold them from the big ones, or can manage a turnover or two.

18. Brick

Brick Member

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/2169500279.html

For those who can't read links:

1br - 1 bedroom on Revis Island (Pittsburgh)
    Date: 2011-01-19, 6:37PM EST
    Reply to: hous-7jv4m-2169500279@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Real estate offered on Revis Island. Mike wallace or Hines Ward will be staying there on Sunday. After that its anyone that wants it. They will tell you once you go you can never leave.

24 Revis Island (google map) (yahoo map)

A friend sent me this - I did not post it.

Pittsburgh delenda est.

#118 Brick, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  19. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

how would it open up the field if he's man to man in single coverage?

20. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

If Revis was a safety, then stretching him away from the other DB would be a good move because it would leave CB without help. Not so useful in this upcoming game though because Revis is a CB that rarely gets safety help. So running him away from everyone won't really have an effect on the other WR/DB matchups between Jets & Steelers.

What I think Steelers can try is to cross Wallace & other receivers in some type of legal pick play. Revis will still stick w/ Wallace but the other Jet DB might be beat from the crossing. Also, there's been quite a few games where opposing teams have gained good passing yards on Jets. They basically ignore Revis & sometimes focus on Cro but usually focus on whoever is matching up their 3rd receiver or TE.

Jets had eliminated that weakness vs. Pats & Colts in the playoffs. However, Pats & Colts don't have the running game of Steelers. More attention on Steeler's running game might re-open this weakness for the Jets.