Mangold vs Wilfork

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mangold Goldman, Jan 14, 2011.

1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

being the most inconsistant member of a group of studs should not be a knock on slauson ... hes had a very good year, and he played hurt for a stretch

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

HEh! Well I certainly have symptoms of something, but it's not MS.

3. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

HAHAHA. And if the Pats need him, he can cover both Tone and BE at once. He's not just good for 34 yards a game...

4. Sanchize0829

Sanchize0829 Well-Known Member

IMO, this is the key matchup of the game. If we can control the line of scrimmage on offense then it will be a long day for feminine Tom.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

If this were the key matchup of the game I would be much more confident. Unfortunately, it's not.

6. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

That's definitely wrong. Wilfork has been listed at 325 since he was drafted but he's got to be at least 340 +

7. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

The rest of the pats DL is really banged up, they are getting real thin on bodies. Im not worried about Wikfork, hes not going to singehandedly stop our run game.

8. HighFlyingJets

Mangold vs Wilfork will be a huge matchup come Sunday. Control NE's NT, & both Greene & Tomlinson will rush for day light.

I hope to god that the Patriots get cute on defense, by moving Wilfork all over the defensive line as either a RE or LE during the game. That would become a huge advantage for the Jets. I could care less if he's going up against Slauson or Turner, because as we all know, the 3-4 NT position has always, & will always be considered the most important position when running a 3-4 defense. Pouha is so underrated. Our offensive line is one of, if not the best O-Lines in the league. NE's defensive line has been depleted due to injuries. Two backups on the D-Line. With or without Wilfork; they pretty much have no chance in hell against our offensive line. Moving Wilfork away from the best center in the game will haunt the Patriots defense. The Patriots moving Wilfork off of Mangold, would be like the Jets moving Revis off of Wayne last week. Wouldn't be smart.

9. Deathstroke

Deathstroke Active Member

Ray Lucas:

"Wilfork is only one biscuit away from 4 bills"

I love Ray Lucas

10. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Agree. Not sure what'll happen with Wilfork but I'd imagine Belichick will match him up on Turner/Slauson to generate pressure on Sanchez. If he does that, I wanna see Sanchez check the play to run behind Mangold and the guard opposite Wilfork.

It's a chess match though. Belly may put Wilfork over Turner but then send the LBs opposite of Wilfork to generate pressure weak-side.

11. S.HOLMES.10

S.HOLMES.10 Member

We need to get the running game going so fat ass wilfork gets tired!!!

12. S.HOLMES.10

S.HOLMES.10 Member

Anybody know who is not playing on the patsies defense of line come sunday?

13. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I don't know they put a lot of lines on the field and it confuses quarterbacks.

14. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

As long as Wilfork isn't attempting to corkscrew guys heads off (which somehow is legal only when you play the Pats) we'll be able to nuetralize him. He'll likely be a non factor.

15. Professor Frink

Nice to see a thread actually devoted to football, those have gotten pretty hard to find during Pats-Jets week.

Wilfork vs Mangold is always my favorite part of watching the two teams go at it. It doesn't matter who you root for, no true football can say they don't enjoy watching these two guys, the best at their positions, go at it for 60 minutes. Obviously this is one of the key matchups in the game, in week 2 there was no question Mangold won decisively, but in 45-3 it was equally one sided in favor of Wilfork.

The question of how much the Pats decide to move him around is an interesting one. Most likely if they kick him out to end, they would be looking for Kyle Love to play the nose. He's a UDFA, I think it's pretty clear the Patriots would be vulnerable to inside runs, which means if they do it it will be because they have faith in Mayo and Spikes (returning from a 4 game suspension) to be able to fight off their blocks.

Should be a wonderful little chess match all game, and one I plan on keeping my eye on whenever the Jets have the ball.

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

#36 Zach, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  17. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

18. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Good god anyone that says Wilfork is 325 pounds should go and get their eyes checked. That fat fuck is closer to 400 pounds than 325. He looks heavier than Jenkins and he is 360+

19. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Whilst we are talking about Jenks here (Vs Wilfork). For the last 2 possibly 3 seasons I would say that Jenks is easily the better DT than Wilfork (green goggles off). Jenks is far more powerful and now just as fast, which is what Wilfork is good at, getting off the ball quickly. Which is why Mangold (who is smaller) is all over Wilfork.
    Take a look at film and watch how quick Mangold is from snap to first block, its amazing. His agility is as good as anyones on the roster as well, not only can he block straight ahead (NTs), hes able to initiate contact with DTs lined up over the guards , easily.
    God knows where this team would be without Big Nick.

For those knocking Slauson, I would love to see Wilfork matched up with Matt. The one thing that Matt is good as it strength Vs Strength. Anyone know what he benches??
    The one knock on Matt is his ability to kick out on screens and (as yet) his inability to pick up would-be tacklers.
    I'm not concerned about Hunter one bit. When he filled for Woody this season, there were times when I thought we had an extra lineman on the field until I realised that Woody was not on the field. Rex's praise for him is justified and not just bravado.

For me this game isn't about our O line, I'm sure we will put up points. Its going to come down to the D's and who blinks first.

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I think Slauson's weakness as of now is his lateral movement (due to his knee injury), not a strength-vs-strength match. If Wilfork does move around the line, he'd be more effective from the LDE position (against Hunter) than either NT or RDE position.