Can Sanchez end his critics and kill SOJ on sunday?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Jan 11, 2011.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

It happens to every team though but Jet fans whine about it more.

Look at what has happened to the Giants the last 2 years, all the Colts playoff collapses, the pats in '08 or their '07 SB loss, ...

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

How do you know that????

Have you seen the secret memo from Tanny that we're getting an OC next year :wink:

Mark was very consistent in Pitt and Chi. Nearly 65%.....

If we call that kind of game Sunday.....I think we advance.

3. Hobbes3259

^ That...........

4. nyjunc

It's on mark, not the playcalling. The playcalling was good the other night but he was inaccurate. Mark has to be at his best for 60 mins(or as close to 60 as possible), we cannot fall behind more thna a score and expect to come back against that team. If it is a one score game at halftime we'll have an excellent chance to win.

5. HOI

HOI Active Member

look every team gets butt fucked throughout the years. Sure our history sucks but shit...look at the Bills in the 90's...thats some fucked up history. SOJ will slowly die out the younger fans wont stand for it.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I'm talking about consistency from game to game. What we're seeing with Mark is that he'll play some good games, a couple of very good games, and a few stinkers. Last week he was in the "throw high" mode that he's done at times since he started here. It's happening less often though, and his stinker games are much better this year than they were last year.

Generally QB's get more consistent as they mature and become more experienced. He's more consistent than he was last year, but still inconsistent.

7. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Somebody here said recently that the Jets were one of the few teams that can win a game when the QB wasn't having a great day. I like that.

Sanchez has the physical tools and mental disposition to be a great QB, if things go well for him. And he'll be starting to enter his prime (age 30) around the time Brady and Manning will be retiring.

Edit to add: Just saw on NFLN that Sanchez is the the 3rd QB to win a playoff game in each of his first 2 years..... since 1950.

#87 James Calvin, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  8. Hobbes3259

I was just making a funny, but also pointing out that much of consistency, stems from calling throws 5 yards deep and inside the numbers.

At some point, going long, and outside leads to problems.

Despite that Mark is still at 53-55%.

In the Pitt and Chi games, where an appropriate number of YAC passes were called, he was closer to 65.

That's the real knock on the OC, is his prediliction to throw deep and outside.

9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Fine, but when he's not at his best, and obviously so, you have to adjust your play calls accordingly. He wasn't throwing well most of the night on Saturday, and BS calls a bomb on 3rd and five when we needed to ice the clock. Thats just stupid.

I wonder if Riley wished he took the ball out of Starks hands when he was obviously cold as ice.

#89 Dierking, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  10. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I would say that the Same Old Jets moniker is gone...but it will always be there. 10 years from now if we have a couple bad seasons, people will say it.

As for Sanchez, I don't think one playoff win will make everyone believe he is all the way there. A season of solid play will do it....everyone already know he has the ability to perform under pressure.

11. nyjunc

He was more accurate in the 2nd half and if that play is completed(it was open) the game is essentially over.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I re-watched the game yesterday and in the second half when he was 9 for 11 the play calling did in fact change. Almost every throw was short over the middle.

He was only on target outside the numbers or beyond 10 yards 3 times if I remember correctly. One on the Holmes dropped first down, and 2 on the final drive to setup the game winning kick.

13. MeanGreen1983

MeanGreen1983 New Member

Yes I do agree that even with a loss this Sunday the "SOJ" will not apply. I relate the motto to the winnable games that we find ways to lose. Losing to perhaps one of the best Patriot teams thus far wouldn't qualify for the "SOJ" unless we gained a big lead and lost it late

14. Hobbes3259

Which was my point. The ratio between the Former and the latter need to be inverse.

Mark CAN go down the field, and outside, but with the way defenses play it's too low a percentage play.

15. Hobbes3259

BTW...the 75 minute NFL Net condensed version is on tonight.

16. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

The true problem with Sanchez is his poise. You can see it in his warm-ups. He looks like a scared kid out there. He has the ability to be a great QB everyone sees that but I'm still not sure he can weather the storm (i.e. too much inconsistent QB play for the next few years and the NYC media will tear him apart). Let's face it if we don't make it to the Super Bowl this year. This team will be in a rebuilding mode for the next couple of years and Sanchez will be relied on heavily to carry the team.

17. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

I disagree. He has the same look at all times of the game whether they are up or down, and it's not scared.

Look at all of the 2 minute drills he had to win games this year, including last week. He takes charge. That is poise.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I feel sorry you think that way. It couldn't be further from the truth.

19. hagen910

hagen910 Banned

no the jets stand no chance if the game falls on nacho's shoulders. The run game needs to have its best game of the year. period with some turnovers from the defense.

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

This is exactly it. Young QBs take time to mature. The level or talent on the defensive side of the ball, combined with the complexity of both NFL offenses and defenses, give them a huge learing curve coming into the league.

Mark has shown good maturity and growth in his two seasons. He has shown the ability to lead and make huge plays. He's also made big mistakes, but thats part of the process. I'm confident given time he will be a top flight QB.

My biggest worry if the shoulder injury. We've been down that road before and I hope to hell its a much samller issue than Chad's.