Can Sanchez end his critics and kill SOJ on sunday?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Jan 11, 2011.

1. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

Wow, how many other 2nd year QB's have played in 4 playoff games, and won 3 of them with number 5 and a good shot to win number 4 coming this week? Let's get the numbers, oh stathistorians

2. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

A couple of other guys have done pretty well. Joe Flacco was 2-1 as a rookie and 1-1 as a second year guy. Big Ben was 1-1 as a rookie and 4-0 his second year. Brady was 3-0 his second year.

Sanchez is in elite company in this regard.

3. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Sanchez's critics can suck it.

Sanchez has led the Jets to five enormous come from behind victories this season including Saturday's Wild Card at the Colts.

I'm fairly certain Mark Sanchez is not the only professional athlete to experience a sophomore slump.

He has been huge for the Jets in his young career and will only continue to take his game to another level with each game.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Not talking MS here but the SOJ thing - I understand the point that two playoff appearances in a row is great, and beating the Colts already assures that a certain level of success has been achieved this season, just getting far, especially considering how tough it has been in recent years to beat Indy in their house in a playoff game.

But... let's not go crazy here. It is certainly possible, God forbid, that were another horrendous loss to occur, that will affect assessments here that a tight game and NE win would not.

But that's a theoretical concern. Jus sayin...

5. MeanGreen1983

MeanGreen1983 New Member

Im not a Sanchez hater Im actually excited that we finally have a franchise QB. The guy is 19-12 in the regular season and 3-1 in the playoffs. I'll take that. He's a winner. I'll take that also. The only thing that still bothers me is his inconsistentcy. Right now he's injured, but even when he's not you never really know what Mark you'll get. I also can't believe the DISPARITY between games he's played. One week he threw for 60 yards the entire game and the next he looked like Montana against the Pats. He looked pathetic against Miami in week 14 and played like a HOFer in week 15 against Pitt. In all 11 of our wins we scored anywhere from 22-38 points. In 4 of our 5 losses, only 0-9. Thats a huge difference.

He's still light years form where he was in '09 and if he can clean up the inconsistentcy, he has the potential to be among the league leaders in stats with this talented receiving corps.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

That's generally the problem with 1st and 2nd year QB's. Consistency. The good thing is we're seeing flashes of greatness and the bad games are becoming much better than the bad game were in the first year. Next year we'll probably see a much more consistent QB.

7. MeanGreen1983

MeanGreen1983 New Member

Im usually a SOJ believer but with 20 regular season wins and 3 playoff wins in 2 years, this motto is on the ropes. Even with a loss on Sunday if we make the playoffs next season and Sanchez stays healthy we can put the SOJ saying to rest for now. The only way it would creep back without losing again is if we made the playoffs every year for a decade and not make a SB. Then it would be like SOJ 2.0 or something.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

SOJ has been dead since Parcells stepped in, and Woody Johnson has buried it in the earth's core.

Relevancy is what makes it go away. When the Jets string together consecutive losing seasons, then SOJ actually has some sort of meaning.

The media couldn't let the name go once they started being successful, so they twisted it into the idea of them just coming up short and glorifying losses that I've seen 24 other teams endure the same fate.

Never say "The Jets lose like no other team." That means you don't pay attention to the NFL and you let rag newspapers dilute the simple truth that they are just another mediocre franchise. The Falcons and Vikings are no different than the Jets for the exception of the Jets SB win.

Fishbowl gayness.

9. A-11 Jets

A-11 Jets New Member

Agreed. You can say a lot about the Jets, but it has been entertaining to follow. Look forward to seeing where the Sanchez rollercoaster levels out, and if there is another decent hill to climb after.

10. Big Blocker

I am not, am not, being SOJ here.

But for the record SOJ includes some pretty good runs here and there. What made them SOJ was what happened next.

1986 - start 10-1, end reg season with five game losing streak, win in KC, and lose in Cleveland on dopey personal foul call. The team proceeded on a long inexorable decline to the Kotite years.

1998. Winning the Champ game with twenty to go, then Elway lights it up. Enter 99 with Elway retired, and Vinny goes down in the first quarter of opening day. It took 11 more years to get back to the Champ game.

THat my friends is also SOJ. SOJ did not mean there were no happy times. They just didn't really end up where we thought they were going at the highest points.

11. Big Blocker

Ftr, as I just said, I consider 99 part of the SOJ syndrome. Perhaps you have a different definition.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

On that note, we haven't had back to back losing seasons since 1995 and 1996. That's pretty amazing considering our longest streak w/o a losing season was 3 years before this stretch.

1960-1996(37 seasons): 8 winning seasons, 7 playoff apps
    1997-2010(14 seasons): 10 winning seasons, 7 playoff apps

14. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I believe Mark is the first NY QB to ever start from day one for either the Jets or Giants, ever!!! And he was a junior coming out of college with only 16 games under his belt. I forget sometimes how young he is and get mad the way he plays sometimes, but really, this guy is gonna be an all time great QB for us. He's the best young QB for us since # 12.

15. MeanGreen1983

MeanGreen1983 New Member

He missed a game last season against TB in week 14.

Kidding aside, I agree with you 100%

16. MeanGreen1983

MeanGreen1983 New Member

Yes, I agree with this assessment. SOJ isn't only going 1-15, but includes collapses such as your examples. 2008 is another great example for the younger crowd to relate. Btw, you didn't like the Kotite years?

17. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Who does he have to satisfy? Sure the Foxboro monkey is on his back but he's done a hell of a job in 4 playoff starts. If he shits the bed, so what?

18. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

And it would be SOJ if we didn't repeat.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I can't count injury plagued years. Injuries are unforeseen and there are just unlucky.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Yeah, that's the closest, but it was a winning season.

The Giants just did it this year, the Cowboys did it a couple of years ago, but the media didn't pounce on it the same way they'd do it to the Jets.

And that's what I'm talking about. Other teams have suffered the same exact fates the Jets have. But the Jets are different because someone has a catchy phrase for it? I'm not easily fooled.