Rex takes shot at Brady while praising Manning

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rinvesto, Jan 6, 2011.

1. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

This article is is on ESPN.com

With just two days to go before meeting Indianapolis in an AFC wild-card game, Jets coach Rex Ryan was busy praising Colts quarterback Peyton Manning and ended up zinging the Patriots.

"Nobody studies like [Manning]. I know [Tom] Brady thinks he does and all that stuff," Ryan said. "I think there's probably a little more help from [Bill] Belichick with Brady than there is with Peyton Manning."

Jets blog
    Looking for more on
    the green and white? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog
    Jets Center

Ryan made the impromptu remark in answer to a question about how gifted Manning was in his ability to think on his feet and improvise.

"He's not just a coach on the field," Ryan said. "You give the coaching community too much credit. This guy is one of the best quarterbacks in the history of the game, and he's one of the smartest guys. And it's not just a coach dialing up plays. He dials his own plays."

If the Jets are able to beat the Colts this weekend, they would head to New England and play their AFC East rivals for the right to go to the AFC Championship Game. The latest remark is likely to be fuel for a fire that is pretty well self-sustaining at this point.

Before the season formally started, Brady told Boston radio station WEEI that he hated the Jets. He said it after being asked about the HBO series "Hard Knocks," which featured the Jets this summer.

"Honestly, I haven't turned it on. I hate the Jets, so I refuse to support that show," Brady said.

The Jets and Patriots split this season in their two games. Each team won at home, but the Patriots handed the Jets their worst loss of the season, 45-3 on Dec. 6.

Jane McManus is a reporter and columnist for ESPNNewYork.com.

Follow Jane McManus on Twitter: @janesports

2. m0nk3y

m0nk3y New Member

"ended up"

something tells me that probably wasn't unintentional..

3. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Rex should be shot for being honest. He also could be accusing of dissing Caldwell here too.

4. DRC™

DRC™ Active Member

Really?

That's suppose to be an insult?

5. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

It's an obvious knock on Brady. He didn't have to name names, but he did for the intended effect.

Not saying Rex shouldn't have said that, but just calling it like it is.

6. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

how is that an insult? LOL

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I don't think the help from Belichik part is insulting, but the "thinks he does" sort of sounds insulting to me.

8. ThunderbirdJet

I like it. Brady is on record as saying he hates us. Why not tweak him a little? I hope Tommy is so mad he's twirling his hair uncontrollably right now.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

bahahah

Just a little mind game from Rex. If it makes Tom want to try and be more like Manning at the LOS next week, great, that's something he isn't normally doing. It probably has no effect, but it's worth a shot.

10. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

It isn't like they didn't want to beat us anyway, so if we get past Indy I don't see how this hurts us against the Bastards. Maybe it'll get Tom Bastard all riled up and he'll stomp his little Uggs in anger and make a mistake or two.

11. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Problem is that Brady gets better the angrier he is.

Thanks a lot Rex.

You want Brady acting dismissive and confident like he did before playing the Giants in the Superbowl. THAT is the Brady that makes mistakes and can be beaten.

#11 The Notorious J.E.T.S, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Rex also said that Joseph Addai is taller than Danny Woodhead.
    [​IMG]

Maybe Rex oughta just leave the Brady comparisons alone.

[​IMG]
    Nothing good ever comes from it...

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I doubt this is as much of a mind game with Rex as it is just Rex speaking his mind. He's a defensive guru. He knows when a QB will immediately recognize looks he's giving them and when it takes a few looks at stills on the sideline with Belicunt for that QB to make adjustments to it.

Face it, Pats fans. Brady is clutch and coachable, but he's not a football computer like Manning.

14. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

This. If you aren't already motivated to beat your opponent 100% then you shouldn't be playing.

15. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I dont know if its a diss on Caldwell.

I think its pretty obvious to most fans that this guy is getting completely carried by Peyton.

Almost every single aspect of that team is completely entirely carried on Peytons back. Like the Pats had a solid year a few years ago when Brady got hurt, well without Peyton Caldwell isnt even finishing 3rd in that division.

16. ThunderbirdJet

What exactly makes you believe this? Some sort of hunch?

17. PatPatriot

PatPatriot Member

Rex Ryan is an idiot. In his team's biggest week of the season he's spending time thinking about Tom Brady and the Patriots. He not only tried to tweak somebody who totally carved up his defense for 45 points one month ago, but he slams the Colts coaches for apparently not being smart enough to help Peyton at the same time.

Rex is clearly the gift that keeps on giving for the rest of the league.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yes, Rex was the gift that gave 10 teams losses in the 2010 regular season, the Patriots included.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

It's going to be OK.

20. PatPatriot

PatPatriot Member

If your coach just shut up and let his team do the talking, no one would pile on the Jets like they have been. Instead, he takes pointless potshots at players and coaches(Manning, Brady, Belichick, etc) who, you know, have won championships and have done it the right way. They let the play on the field do the talking for them.