Putting your Jets bias to the side, is Sanchez good?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Deathstroke, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Part of the problem we have in evaluating Sanchez is that in the last ten years, we seem to have had more young QB's have immediate success (Roethlisberger, Flacco, Rivers, Ryan, etc), setting the bar higher than we would ordinarily expect.

You cannot deny that Sanchez made progress this year, both on he field and off. He was directly responsible, through interceptions and bone-headed plays, for at least two losses, to Buffalo and New Orleans last season. You can't say that about any of his losses this year, and, you could give him credit for the wins @ Denver, Detroit, Cleveland and Houston.

Looking at it from the perspective of seeing Jet QBs since 1965, he definitely has the intangibles, he has the leadership skills and he's got the talent, but we've been down this road before. I am concerned about durability. The two year mark was the turning point for injuries to two other Jet QBs who got off to great starts (Pennington & O'Brien) and had much better stats (ie, both were never the same after injuries in their second season as a starter).

Just like Rex seems like he was born to be the coach of the Jets, Sanchez seems to be a great fit here as well. Some of the posters here have accurately pointed out that fans of other teams will make the immediate assessment that Sanchez sucks, looking simply at stats. Great! Keep expectations low. Frankly, I think he's been helped by all the turmoil surrounding the Jets this year ( Rex, Edwards etc.) keeping the pressure off him.

However, I will admit that a lot is riding on these play-offs for him.

2. Blazer

Blazer New Member

The Bucs were also down four members of their secondary, three defensive lineman, and a linebacker. Elbert Mack was covering Calvin Johnson.

Calvin. Johnson.

But regardless, it wasn't Freeman's fault. He threw a touchdown that likely would've won the game, giving him his record 8 fourth-quarter comebacks.

Freeman seems to be the epitome of "speak without saying anything at all." He's the master of saying things like, "The Panthers are great. Don't take them lightly. They'll take it to you."

He's not even close to Sanchez's media moxie or charisma. Freeman actually seems rather introverted and uncomfortable on camera sometimes.

3. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

He is a good player but he has work to do. I would say he is pretty close to as good as Freeman. You have to keep in mind the situations he is put in and the things he is asked to do.

Mark is in his second year and we are in the playoffs again. He played his butt off in Cleveland when hurt and made great throws against Houston in the final minute. His stupid mistakes are being cut back. He is not an instant superstar but he is progressing, so I think we need to be happy about that.

4. gammatec

gammatec Member

As a non Jet fan, one thing I've noticed is that way too many of you write Sanchez off after a bad game, instantly.

You guys give up on him, then jump back on the bandwagon, then give up on him. The mood/feeling i've noticed in here at this moment is that he isn't very good.

2nd year QB who's played amazing at times, has put this team in the playoffs by leading the team with those important come from behind victories.

5. Since I was 9

Since I was 9 New Member

Thanks for the back up. That's exactly my point. I know the Jets took a real close look at Freeman, but in the end Sanchez had more of the "it factor".

6. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

YES!

dotdotdot

2 rookie playoff records, TWO I said!!

7. coltfan

coltfan New Member

You don't have to like Peyton or Brady, but all of the Qb's on his list have higher QB ratings than Sanchez and better stats. Sanchez has done one thing consistently his 2 years in the NFL. He starts fast and sputters down the stretch.

I see him with the ability of being a good game manager and the pat fan is on point with his assesment too... Sanchez learns one thing and will wear it out... defenses know this and finally, Sanchez doesn't make in game adjustments.

I think Sanchez is less than an average qb and is the the bottom 25% of NFL QB's. If you look at his stats they are telling. To have such a good defense and strong run game and so many interceptions and horrible passer rating is telling.

8. coltfan

coltfan New Member

You have to accept you were tricked. You were asked for your unbiased opinion... It was a paradox!

You gave stats that support your opinion. You gave a great list which can't be argued and now you are a fool because you made sense. They want you to say Sanchez is an elite QB who is on par to better Big Ben, Brady and Peyton...Hell Brees don't have a chance compared to Sanchez!

Let's not forget winning games is all that matters...That's why Vince Young and Michael Vick are great QB's too. I don't want to mention the QB who won the superbowl with the Ravens! They just love him! If anything Sanchez would be comparable to him!

9. coltfan

coltfan New Member

The people you are attempting to dispute are not beng realistic! One NFL season is vastly more experience than any number of college years played. The game is faster at the NFL level and you aren't playing accountants in the NFL. You will never see a 230 DL in the NFL, but in college you will.

Sanchez came from USC I think and wasn't that suppose to be the NFL QB recruiting school?

I don't think there are any rational people who would attempt the reverse argument that college experience is comparable to NFL experience. Sanchez had 23 more NFL games than Bradford and someone is arguing Bradford had more experience than Sanchez????

10. coltfan

coltfan New Member

By your standards... when has Ryan done anything? I don't call him playing in the NFC Championship game or divisional round.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

You've established that you clearly don't understand the QB position.

I think you need to move on.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

This is another example of you not knowing anything about the QB position or Matt Ryan.

13. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I'm sure this has been addressed in the 21 pages after it was written, but this is the dumbest post ever.

14. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

At this point in his career he is well ahead of, or right with, where some pretty impressive QB's were at this point in their careers. There is notable improvement he made over last year as well.

So far, so good.

What will he be 2 years from now?.....I don't know, let me go pull out my fucking crystal ball........leave the kid alone, he's doin' just fine.....and he's a damn site better that anything we've had around here in a long,long time.

15. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

He's brought us back to back playoff appearances...since '85 and '86. He's already tied for the most playoff wins by a Jet QB in the history of our franchise.

AND HE'S ONLY 24!!!!

Fuck Freeman and what everyone else thinks

16. coltfan

coltfan New Member

Sanchez isn't playing a full playbook. He isn't called upon to win games, but more so to "Trent Dilfer" a team. Big Ben first 2 years he was a game manager with an exceptional running game. Ben evolved after that into the elite QB he is now. Sanchez on the other hand threw less interceptions this year, but I am failing to see this drastic improvement people are calling out.

The team has more wins because they played a softer schedule this year. Next year will tell and this playoffs will show too... I think the Jets should win Saturday, but if the game is placed on Sanchez shoulders, they will lose.

17. 624

624 Banned

It's so obvious you haven't watched a Jets game this year.

Please stick to the Colts thread where you may be educated about, and don't try and act like you know more about the Jets than Jets posters.

Sanchez has won us many games this year, even Sportscenter watchers can tell you that.

18. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

Getting better

Still needs work but getting better. below average completion is a concern although the 16 passes that were batted down at the line might be that he is a little small for a QB. I agree with another post that he might have a career that mirrors Troy Aikman.

Arm strength good not great
    decision making poor
    Leadership good to excellent
    mobility good
    Clock management average to good
    Accuracy poor

Let's face it, the jets are stacked with weapons and I would have liked to see a little more out of him considering the cast around him. Not relevant to this thread but Clemens hat a shit team around him with no tools and was never given a chance.

19. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

This thread is just WOW on so many different levels. Enjoyable reading most of the time though.

20. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

My biggest gripe with Sanchez is his inaccuracy, especially on short throws. I've seen him screw up screen passes and little four yard dump offs. Even on short passes he completes he somehow doesn't lead receivers correctly.

Chronic inaccuracy on medium and long range passes in understandable, missing 5-10 yard passes is not.

Sanchez also doesn't have great fundamentals. He doesn't protect the ball when he's scrambling in the pocket, he sometimes throws without setting his feet, etc. All of this leads to some great plays when he evades defenders to extend the play, but it also leads to fumbles and interceptions.

The best thing about Sanchez is he appears to be getting better. His Numbers from 2010 are much better than 2009.

3291 Yards
    17 Touchdowns
    13 INT
    75.3 QB Rating.
    54.8% Completion Percentage.
    3 more than 1 interception games.

2444 Yards
    12 Touchdowns
    20 Interceptions
    63 QB Rating.
    53.8 % Completion Percentage.
    5 more than 1 interception games.

So he put up almost 1000 more yards, 5 more touchdowns and 8 less interceptions. I'd still like to see the completion percentage improve, and the multi-int games go away.

I think a lot of the hate towards Sanchez stems from the fact that the Jets are a win now team. They've got a boatload of talent at the skill positions, and to a lot of fans it feels like Sanchez is holding them back.

How would Matt Cassel do if he were throwing to Holmes, Edwards, Keller and Cotchery rather than Dwayne Bowe and nobody else? There is no way we can know, but it seems like an average to above average QB with these kind of weapons would be leading a prolific offense.

Overall, I think Sanchez is a good prospect at QB who got better this year. He's still not a top 15 QB and if he's going to reach that level he might not do so for another two years due to his inexperience at the college level. I think his biggest weakness is the inaccuracy at this point, while his great strengths are the physical tools he has, along with his leadership ability and personality.