Putting your Jets bias to the side, is Sanchez good?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Deathstroke, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Inafalcs

Inafalcs Member

Great first post.

2. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

Doing some number crunching, Sanchez and Freeman have put up some pretty similar results against common opponents.

For the year, Sanchez has faced teams with an average defensive passer rating of 83.72 and Freeman has faced teams with a 83.43 rating. Sanchez never had an opportunity to put numbers up against the Bills atrocious defense yesterday, so the defensive passer rating only reflects his 15 games. I think it is safe to say that Sanchez would have been done at least as similar job as Brunell, improving his stats and putting a hurting even more on the Bills pass defense.

As it stands now, the competition that Sanchez and Freeman faced is virtually the same from a pass rating stand point. As for common opponents, the Jets and Bucs have faced 5 common teams - Ravens, Browns, Steelers, Bengals and Detroit. The Jets were 4-1 in those games and the Bucs were 2-3.

Sanchez's culmulative stat-line for those games (4W/1L):

94 Comp, 161 Attempts, 58% Completion, 1045 yards, 6.49 yds/attempt, 4TD/3INT

Freemans stats (2W/3L):

95 comp, 161 attempts, 59% Completion, 1059 yards, 6.57 yds/attempt, 5TD/3INT

As for competition against the top ten defensive passer rating teams, Sanchez faced four of the top 5 teams in the league: #1 - GB, #2 - Pittsburgh, #3 - Chicago and #5 - Baltimore and Freeman only faced three: #2- Pittsburgh, #5 Baltimore and #9 St. Louis.

In those 4 games Sanchez was 2-2 with the following stats:

69 Comp, 125 attempts, 55% Completion, 769 yards, 6.15 yds/ attempt, 1 TD/3INT

In those 3 games Freeman was 1-2 with the following stats:

60 Comp, 108 attempts, 55% Completion, 558 yards, 5.16 yds/attempt, 2TD/1INT

I would say overall, that Freeman has had a very good year and has progressed nicely. That being said, he plays in great weather in Tampa and against dome teams, in addition to benefiting from a weaker overall schedule. Sanchez faced 4 of the top 5 defensive passing teams vice Freeman's slate of only 3 of the top 10 defensive passing teams. Sanchez has also had multiple crappy weather games, to include all four games against Bal, GB, Pitt and Chi.

When one takes a look at their two year stats, obviously Freeman is ahead of Sanchez:

CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
    Freeman 449 764 5306 58.8 6.95 64 35 24 48 82.2
    Sanchez 474 871 5735 54.4 6.58 74 29 33 53 70.2

What isn't factored in is that Freeman has 3 more lost fumbles than Sanchez and Sanchez contributed 6 rushing TDs to Freeman's none. Those negatives/positives are not reflected in the passing stats of either player.

When one balances in the factor that Freeman played in twice as many games as Sanchez in college (35 to 16) and Sanchez has about half dozen more starts in the pros - without the benefit of sitting for half a year that Freeman enjoyed. From an experience standpoint, both players have benefited however Sanchez does get the nod in my book for the better overall W/L record and playoff experience (2-1 with now a 2nd playoff appearance).

Overall, I think both players are pretty comparable when factoring in the totality of the circumstances. The best thing about it is I think both teams and players are happy and no one - at this point - would change their respective situations. As for Matt Stafford, well the guy needs to get healthy and at this point the jury is really still out for him.

3. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Blazer and Klecko, just outstanding posts!

I have to admit, right now Freeman looks like the better QB, but it will be 5 years before we know that answer. Both have the potential to be top five NFL QB's in that time frame. if I had to choose one right now... I'd probably take Freeman, but it's close.

4. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

The one guy - who I think is in really deep sh&t and is always mentioned in the conversation about Sanchez - is Chad Henne.

The problem with Henne is actually pretty simple. It isn't that he is a bad QB, it is that he hasn't actually gotten any better. The guy was a 4 year starter at Michigan and started 45 games in his career there - that is 30 games more than Sanchez and 10 more than Freeman. He has started 29 games in the pros the past two years and sat his entire first season on the bench. The Dolphins went out to upgrade their offense and give him some weapons - especially in picking up Marshall. Going into year 3, this should have been a breakout season for Henne. Instead, inspite of another year of prep work, camp, and pre-season, his passer rating and W/L record as a starter are still suck at 75 and .500.

Given all those factors, especially with a good defense and running game, Henne should have improved but didn't. The wildcat and Dan Henning's one read/dump-off passing offense (basically what Vinny had in 98) should have protected him and allowed him to excell. In his case, given these circumstances, no progression is akin to regression. The absence of any noticable improvement in his play at this stage is not a good sign and does not bode well for his future as a starter.

5. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

This was obvious before Henne was even drafted though. From a freshman to a senior, Henne showed absolutely no improvement in his game. Maybe they thought they could coach him up. I don't know. But having seen him every year, he was the same QB for 4 years. Even look at his college stats, no discernible difference from year to year. I can understand why his numbers have always looked pedestrian in the pros. He's just not that good, and from the looks of it, he's probably not going to improve. And that's just as well. F*** the Dolphins.

6. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Henne... meh. I don't agree that Henning's offense helped him, or should have helped him, I think it was a detriment to his development. Bess and Marshall are pretty freakin good, I think it was Hennings offense that kept them from improving actually.

Having said that, I don't think Henne is a franchise QB. getting rid of Spags and Henning won't hurt though.

7. RexLuvzSnax

RexLuvzSnax Member

He's no Andrew Luck!

8. grayburn

grayburn Member

He is right now an average nfl quarterback skills wise. He is, however, clutch as Fuck, which should make him an above average post season qb. The kid is getting great experience that freeman, and stafford, and bradford are not. Regardless of who or what put the jets in the postseason, they are in, and that is great for nacho and all of us fans.

9. coltfan

coltfan New Member

Sanchez is not close to elite and if his 1st two years has anything to say...he will never be elite...at best he appears he may be a game manager. But, that's all the Jets need him to be. Your team hangs its hat on defense and a strong running game.

This is why Big Ben is so succesful. He began as a game manager and evolved into a passing QB who is strong. Sanchez fist 2 years have been subpar; compare him to Freeman, Flacco and Matt Ryan within their first 2 years.

Sanchez passer rating and completion percentage have been low within his 1st 2 years... a good team adding pressure and he will pop, see Chicago, Pats, B'mo, Packers...but this is only his second season and there is room to grow...

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

So you didn't see what Sanchez did to a Penn State defense in the rose bowl?

11. RexLuvzSnax

RexLuvzSnax Member

Haha na man i'm just kidding. That orange bowl actually made me go back to youtube and watch some Sanchez highlights from that game. Him and Williams were tearing it up! I think we are set with #6 behind center for years to come. With his work ethic and the quality recievers he has been surrounded with there is no reason for him not to succeed.

#391 RexLuvzSnax, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  12. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

You haven't watched a single Jets game all season and it shows.

13. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Fixed that for you.

Indianapolis delenda est.

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

ok cool. Its tough to decipher sarcasm with all of this shit going on.

:beer:

15. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I hope you're right, but can't really see your logic... you are saying that Sanchez is a game manager now (as Roethlisberger was at first), but Sanchez will never become more (yet Ben did?). And also you bring up Matt Ryan, who took a significant step back in his second year, whereas Sanchez has taken a step forward (to an extent that can be argued).

I have my doubts concerning sanchez (and possibly some fears that I won't admit), but I don't realistically expect him to be anything besides better next year... it just becomes a matter of how much better, and what the team around him will look like.

16. Chiefs1187

Chiefs1187 New Member

Lets not forget here that Sanchez is in his second year..How many QB's two years out of college are world beaters..Sanchez is a victim of rookie success in the post season so alot is expected of him this year. Question is, what benchmark are the Jet fans using to determine if he has improved? I don't watch many Jets game since I'm a Chiefs fan but the ones I have seen and highlights I have seen him have some good games this year..No not just "managing the game", but coming up with some good numbers throwing the ball...Yes he has had a TD slump in the last few games since Thanksgiving, but who were his opponents? I remember one against Pittsburg and whether Troy is in or not, you're not going to light up the scoreboard against them...The other I recall is New England..They fell behind early and the NE defence pinned their ears back knowing Sanchez had to throw the ball..

To summarize, lay off the guy. Any QB gets a three year pass before ppl start chuking stones and comparing other established QB's with more playing experience is an unfair assesment...

17. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

It's silly to blame that call. The Bucs let Drew Stanton, who had already dislocated a shoulder in the game, drive down to the 10 yard line for the game-tying FG with no TOs at his disposal.

Drew. Stanton.

#397 DisgruntledLionFan, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  18. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

Sanchize has HUGE upside, he can be the one QB to put an end to the USC QB's are no good mantra, and he CAN be an elite NFL QB as well. The kid has tons of ability, take into consideration that prior to last year, he had 16 college starts, then being thrown to the wolves in the toughest market in front of some of the toughest fans on the planet and didn't wilt, I think he's going to be okay.

He's leaps and bounds better than he was last year and way ahead at this point of his career, than Booty, Palmer, Cassel, Leinart (sp), etc. I honestly and I know I may get reamed for this, but I think Schottenheimer stunts his ability some times. Let the kid play, make mistakes and learn from them, he has the right HC and group of team mates to get him through his growing pains.

He has some mechanical things he needs to work on, most notably throwing to his left, Cavanaugh and Schotty, if he's still the OC need to work on, but, I've seen him improve in areas like checking down and holding on to the ball, where he would have blown it last year. He's in the perfect system, The Ground and Pound, to get a lot better.

19. Since I was 9

Since I was 9 New Member

I live in the Tampa area, Freeman is good and does have the intangibles, and maybe the "it" factor they talk about, but as a true blood New Yorker and former news stand owner, there is NO WAY he could take the New York spotlight. I've head all his "pressers" and he's a big ole country pumpkin. When it's all said and done, all that maters is who has the ring, or rings, thats where you tip your hat to Big Ben, and Eli.

20. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

And Eli Manning isn't?
    Chad Pennington wasn't a city boy either and he seemed to handle the media pressure. He just couldn't stay healthy.