Marquice Cole in for Drew Coleman?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MikeDevito, Jan 3, 2011.

1. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Colts O Line is also a steaming pile of loose stool this year -- remember that. Peyton doesn't have enough time to find receivers against teams that can generate a pass rush. Do we have that ability? Depends on which team shows up.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I liked Cole very much yesterday, and agree with the sentiment that Coleman, whatever his talents, is not a good cover guy.

But the other person I think we might see the Jets use is Wilson. Imo he has quietly been playing better. Perhaps the tandem of Cole and Wilson can be better employed to cover Colt receivers than the safeties who for the most part are rather poor in coverage.

3. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Wilson looked improved too, certainly has the speed to keep up with any receiver the Colts have.

4. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Agree with this. Its a scary time to try out Marquice Cole though. At least Coleman has his feet wet.

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I think Cole's play probably gives Rex & Co another piece to use and move around, which is what they like to do.

Also, maybe should be its own thread, but does anyone else get the sense that we'll see a lot more of Jason Taylor now to try and get more pressure on the QB without blitzing? I felt like his extended time yesterday was to get him ramped up for more time in the playoffs after taking it light the majority of the season. If he and Pace play anything like yesterday they can take some of the burden off the cover guys.

6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I thought Wilson and Cole both looked better in coverage than Coleman.. Coleman is horrendous. If he's covering one of the Colts receivers down the field, Peyton will target it every time.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

That's my thought. I'd rather put someone with less experience out there and take my chances. We KNOW Coleman is awful in coverage.

8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I hope you are right.. I think we will be seeing a lot of Taylor this game to rush the passer because they really don't have to worry about stopping the run at all. Last year they lined up mostly with Douglas or Ellis at DT and even used Pace inside from time to time.. very little DeVito and Pouha.

We could be seeing a lot of "small" formations with Ellis, Pryce, Thomas on the line with Pace and Taylor as outside rushers to get as much pressure as they can and dare the Colts to run.

9. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I just think it gives us more options. If Coleman plays early and gets picked on, try Cole. If that doesn't work, try Wilson. Revis and Cromartie should match up fine with Wayne and Garcon. Blair White really isn't that good. But if the pass rush doesn't get there, that's when the 3rd CB would get exposed.

10. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

/thread

*truth filler*

11. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Yes. I just don't want to see DeVito or Taylor in coverage chasing a fast RB down the field, that never ends well for us.

12. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Marquice Cole had 2 picks on broken plays where the QB got hit and the ball floated up in the air. He like Coleman is a good special teams player who's best use on defense is to blitz the QB.

I mean I guess he didnt look bad but you cant take much out of that game.

13. theyankees-jetsfan23

How come we got rid of Donald Strickland? He was good against slot recievers

14. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

he frequently got injured.

15. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Cole and Wilson seemed fine on the outside. It seems that all of our guys really suck as nickel backs. I wouldn't mind seeing Cole get a little more of a chance in coverage. Game was meaningless to us but he has to be feeling pretty confident after that game. A little confidence can go a long way for someone who has the physical ability to do something.

16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Wilson showed some pretty good coverage skills against Steve Johnson.....broke up some nice plays that could've went for TDs

17. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I think Wilson could also get some more time in coverage. Coleman sucks in coverage but blitzes like a beast. One of those two guys has to see the field for coverage responsibilities on the slot over Coleman in the playoffs.

18. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

This secondary is lacking players with dreads. Cole is the secret weapon

19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

He did make some good plays, I just have a hard time putting much stock into any of the play from our secondary against Brian Brohm.

20. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

i hear you...

But...it's still a positive. The young guys are improving.

It beats the backups getting burned by Brohm..... :wink: