Putting your Jets bias to the side, is Sanchez good?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Deathstroke, Jan 1, 2011.

1. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

I would put Cassel ahead of him and Freeman close. Both QB's have feasted on easy schedules though and until any of them, Sanchez, Freeman, or Cassel can consistently perform at an above average level it is pretty hard to compare, only one of them has started for more than 2 full seasons and all 3 have had atleast one good and one bad season. Cassel, in my opinion, has had the most adversity, going from a "star studded" new england offense coming off of 07, to a chiefs offense that you probably couldn't name more than 3 starters from 09 from your memory.

#181 strngplyr, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  2. 624

624 Banned

It's called being a 2nd year QB.

...and there aren't 15 QBs in the league who are good week to week consistently, so not sure why you said 15..should have stopped at 10.

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

This sentence tells me two things:

1. You know nothing about the New York Jets.

2. You know nothing about football in general.

4. gopats88

gopats88 Member

If you look back at all of my posts, and the posts that I was responding to, I really don't think that I said anything that should offend you.

I was responding to someone who basically said "someone who hasn't watched sanchez every game would rank him in the bottom half, whereas he should be higher" by making the point that he is really a middle-of-the-pack QB.

You already agreed with this in an earlier post... do we really need to argue specifically which other QBs go ahead of Sanchez to make him a middle of the pack QB? I was just making a quick list to dispell the notion that Sanchez is a top 5 or top 10 QB for people who don't really bother to think it out.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Josh Freeman had a pretty solid year, but he has no playoff experience and he struggled against good teams.

I could put Matt Cassel's name in front of that sentence and it would make just as much sense.

6. gopats88

gopats88 Member

and why are you so hung up on Brady being #1? I already said that I wrote the names down as they came to me... and I don't think it is too crazy that the first name was brady, or that #2 was manning.

7. strngplyr

You're probably right, there aren't 15 who do so consistently, but neither does Sanchez. So i don't know what's wrong with placing him in the vicinity of inconsistent QB's. There is nothing to say he can't be consistent, but to this day he hasn't done it. Yet.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The gayness of your avatar offends me.

I had no problem with you calling Mark Sanchez a middle-of-the-pack quarterback.

I had a problem with you saying Matt Cassel and Sam Bradford were better than Joe Flacco.

I'm not arguing with you. I'll telling you how fucking stupid your rankings were.

In my opinion, Tom Brady is the best quarterback in the NFL.

The rankings you posted wasn't random. It made perfect sense until around 6 or 7. Like I said earlier, if you're going to post on TGG, make sure it isn't complete garbage.

#188 Mr Electric, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  9. hazmat

hazmat New Member

He's perfectly set to lead any type of team whether it's filled with many "stars" and "ego"s as you call them.

By the way how have all these stars and egos hurt the jets this year?

Sanchez played 16 games in college. He's had 7 horrible games in two seasons. He's beaten the Steelers in Pittsburgh, he's beaten the Pats twice, he's had a bunch of 4th quarter drives that won games in his 2nd season in the NFL. When Schotty has gotten his head out of his ass Sanchez has been fine. His numbers are not good and he has 7 awful games, but you can't argue that the guy doesn't find ways to win games.

10. gopats88

gopats88 Member

...which is why I added the "P.S" at the end in the first place... to avoid this

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

If you want to avoid looking like an idiot, don't post stupid shit.

12. strngplyr

No, he certainly finds ways to win games. Luck, skill, whatever you want to call it, you can't take that away from him. And winning, imo, is much more important than how good of a QB you are. But, better QB play would probably help win even more games.

As far as 'how have the egos hurt the jets?" I don't know, you don't either. But it can't be easy playing with a bunch of well known, high profile players begging for the ball on every play. I understand wanting to make a play, but sometimes players will argue they are open when they aren't. TO and Ochocinco are always on their QB's ass saying how open they are, even when they're double or triple covered. Palmer has made his fair share of mistakes trying to satisfy one or the other.

I don't THINK you would have that issue with an unknown WR just trying to stay on a roster. This is a bad point to argue and I shouldn't have brought it up in the first place thinking back on it. But neither of us know if Braylon, Santonio or LT are helping or hurting him behind the scenes.

Also, I haven't gone over all of his stats as I don't think they mean everything, but i'll take your word for it and assume 7 horrible games in 2 seasons. Is that a point in his favor or against him? 7 games in 2 seasons is nearly 1/4th, is it acceptable to your standards to have awful QB play for 1/4th of every season? I suppose if you have a team that can overcome that, sure.

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

There's certain reasons why players are "unknown" - the best reason is because they suck.

I THINK Edwards and Holmes are more talented than unknown receivers.

The New York Jets are our team. I think we'd know if Holmes or Edwards were getting on Mark Sanchez's case about not getting them the ball. They haven't done that. They aren't like Randy Moss.

LaDainian Tomlinson has done nothing but help this team. I have no idea why his name was even used in this argument.

14. gopats88

gopats88 Member

you are trying to argue a list that I intentionally made clear was not a true "ranking".

Notice how you are the only one making an argument out of this? Everyone else understood the intent of my post whether they agree with it or not.

You are calling me an idiot? I'm starting to wonder whether you can actually even read or not. It seems like you just look at pictures and numbers, and then pick out buzzwords like "brady", "manning", and "sanchez" to form your argument around.

15. strngplyr

Named LT simply because he's a very well known player, as my point was that often times, whether or not its the case with Jets, high profile players CAN be detrimental. Again, not always the case, and unless you're Mark Sanchez or in the locker room with him, I don't think you know either. Like I said in a previous post, it was a bad argument to bring up as there are no facts either way, just what we see on TV and read on forums. And we all know how reliable that is.

16. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I wouldn't say it is a point in his favor to have played 7 horrible games. What it means to me is that he isn't consistently playing below average as his stats may suggest to someone that doesn't watch him every game. He has had some awful games which I can live with right now because it is to be expected from a young QB.

Last year he had a few epic meltdowns and this year he has had some awful games but compared to the meltdowns of his rookie year they are nothing. I look for those awful games of his to become less and less frequent and less and less severe moving forward.

17. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Santonio, Braylon and Tomlinson have done nothing to have anyone think they have caused any issues.

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

No, I'm letting you know that your intentionally untrue list was shitty.

The intent of your post was to make a shitty set of rankings. If you knew it sucked, then why did you waste our fucking time with it?

I could stick my head in a wood chipper and still have more football knowledge than you.

You're trying to debate the New York Jets with a fucking Jets' fan. You do not know more about this team or this game than I do.

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty god damn reliable.

20. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

This might be the most pathetic rant I've ever seen