Putting your Jets bias to the side, is Sanchez good?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Deathstroke, Jan 1, 2011.

1. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Didn't Freeman seem like a horrible match with the New York media?

2. Jet In Brooklyn

Jet In Brooklyn New Member

I'm sick of this bullshit "handle the NY media" line. That's what it is - bullshit.

3. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Why? No. I never saw that. When he came out of college, the problems with Freeman were that he was inaccurate and didn't win a lot in college. But everyone said he was a good guy and someone willing to work hard. I never heard of any problems he could have with the media.

JaMarcus Russell's struggles really hurt Freeman's draft stock for a while. Freeman wasn't as successful in college, but his attitude projected better for the NFL. Come draft time, I was liking Freeman more and more, and I wouldn't have been upset if we took him at 17. I was very happy we moved up for Sanchez, but Freeman has exceeded almost all expectations so far.

Plus, how many guys really struggle with the NY media? I understand not wanting to bring in a guy like Zach Greinke to the Yankees because of his social anxiety disorder, but for the most part, it's overblown.

4. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I thought I read on some other posts that he attitude issues and the jets were fearful of him dealing with NY. Not my personal opinion just what I read. Freeman had a great sophomore season but I still think it's to early to really compare Sanchez, Stafford and Freeman. At the end of year 3 if Sanchez still has a completion percentage under 55% and a bad qb rating we can probably say he's not going to get any better.

5. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Sanchez has shown improvement from last season. While I think he was singlehandedly responsible for several losses last season (see especially Buffalo & N.O.) I don't think he is solely responsible for any losses this year. (Bal. = play calls: GB & Mia = drops).

Also, he has shown the ability to make plays, maybe more that any Jet QB ever
    (guys like O'Brien & Pennington, who had early success, were more one-dimensional). Todd's stats by his 32nd game are not even close and even Namath comes up short after year two, although the game has changed so much that statistical comparisons between '65 & '10 are meaningless.

However , if you want to make an interesting comparison with another undersized qb with a lot of heart, take a look a Drew Brees after his 2nd year ( 67.5 rating/2108 yards/11Tds 15 int/ 10-17 record through 2 complete seasons as a starter)

6. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

If Sanchez can get 153 yards passing tomorrow, he will finish with 1,000 more yards this season than last season.

He also should finish with more TDS than INTS. He right now has 17 tds and 13 ints. Last year he had 12 tds and 20 ints.

This year he is responsible for winning games, last year he was costing the jets games.

He is starting to look very promising to me!

7. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

guess who is QB coach was for that season.

8. Endlessly Counting

Another point

Is the goal to have an elite QB or to have a team that wins 10+ every year for the foreseeable future and pulls out a VLT or two in the process?

Because for the Jets to be that team... I think they're going to need an elite DE/OLB type to bring them along. The main questions with Sanchez are going to be :

1. All things being equal, will you lose the game because of him? This year that answer is no

2. Can he bring you back late? So far, that answer is yer.

9. Endlessly Counting

Schotty:(
    I am hoping for some poor misguided team to take him off our hands this year
    However, Schotty was also Brees' coach in 2004 when he was 12-4/27 TDs 7 ints/104 rating)

Great point though. Sanchez could use a qb guru

10. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

That stat further proves Schotty's inconsistency in his coaching.

I'm probably reaching here ....but Brees has been pretty consistent in New Orleans....albeit, his INT total is up this season...but he's thrown 30+ TDs for 3 straight seasons now.

Schotty's inconsistencies drive me nuts.....I know some people don't feel the same way....but I hope he's gone after this season.

11. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

hes better than last year, and avoided a 'sophomore' slump. is he good? yeah. he is a good qb. will he get better? probably i dont see how he cant.

12. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

interesting thread at this point. we can agree that he is still a work in progress and has shown ability but has not put it together yet. maybe he will over the next 2 years. lets say he does.

was he worth trading up for and this team is a win now team, will we miss the opportunity because the qb hasnt fully matured yet?

13. Endlessly Counting

Here's a better question:

Does Rex have what it takes to upgrade his coaching staff?

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Ryan is above Flacco.

Its not even close.

15. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

The trade up was w/e, it was basically a 2nd round pick, 2 depth players and the immortal Brett Ratliff. Don't know if you can call this a win now team in its truest form, team is fairly young outside of the front 7 on defense. The only starters on offense over 30 are RG Brandon Moore, RT Damien Woody and FB Tony Richardson. LT also but going forward I think Greene is gonna be the starter. Everybody else is under 28 I believe (might be wrong). I guess where we are a win now team is what all the free agents but we have no idea what the new CBA is gonna look like....maybe the salary cap will be really high and we can keep everybody.

16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

that question could....scratch that....SHOULD....be answered in the offseason. Especially if we get toasted in the WC game.

If we have another deep run into the playoffs....the only way Schotty goes, is if he lands a HC job somewhere.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

With 16 starts in college, any idiot should have understood he was going to take a few years until he hit his potential and the growing pains are going to be more severe than most QB prospects.

Unfortunately, most don't understand that and they need a finger painting.

He's still progressing.

His footwork has gotten better, and it was one of his strengths coming out of college.

He moves in the pocket very well for a 2nd year QB. His decision making improves only with a rhythm. But that isn't out of the norm for most QBs. He needs confidence throws to get him going. I can see that dissipating as he gets older.

He got baited in the Chicago game. If this was his 4th year in the league, that throw wouldn't have been made. Chalk it up to inexperience. And yes, the inexperience excuse can be used for the next 16 games he plays. Its the Quarterback position.

His intangibles are off the fucking charts. First one in last one out everyday, works his ass off constantly and is never done getting better. He's his own worst critic, which I love because I can relate. He's a leader of men. He's awesome. He can bang any girl he wants. He's a great person to be around. He's intelligent and well spoken, highly respectful to people around him. On draft day, Tanny said to him "I just want to tell you your parents did a great job raising you." I don't think that's told to many prospects before they are drafted.

We have a franchise QB. Trust me. We just have to let him grow. Patience is going to be the key here. If you're not patient, you're going to sound like a moron.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Holy shit.

Yes he was worth the trade up. This is not just a win now team, its about building a franchise that has sustained success.

3 consecutive winning seasons and back to back playoff births is sustained success for this historically mediocre franchise. There is more to come.

Win now is the biggest farce in all of sports.

19. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

valid points. the salary cap situation will be a big thing for this team. unless they can convince some guys to take less than they might make somewhere else.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Schotty was the QB coach. Not the OC. Cam Cameron was the OC with Brees, he's now with Flacco.

He's a good coach, he's just infuriating at calling a smooth consistent game.