Rex doubts uh oh...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jet Blue, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Don't second guess it, coach. Let's ride with 'em.

This may be something Rex said to the team in a previous meeting. We'll never know.

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Rex has a headset on, while Braylon's voice may have made it look like it was his chiding that brought Rex to go for it, you can also think that someone up in the booth was letting him know the distance and giving him some tips.

What is wrong with a little discussion before a huge play in the game?

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Favre was THE reason we tanked it and he was not a huge reason we were successful. he held us back most of the year, he had a nice stretch right before the collapse but he didn't do much the rest of the year.

We had talent, they have upgraded the talent since Rex got here and he coaches the talent better but we had playoff talent when he arrived.

4. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Also, at 10-4 with some big game moments where the Jets and Rex made the right call to win the game, and we are worried about this? Give the guy some credit.

5. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

hopefully we can all look back at this and be able to say it was one of the defining moments of a great season. how can you not get pumped up after watching that?

6. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Obviously he was but he was also the reason we were 9-3 in the first place.

It sure as shit wasn't our defense winning us games. Rex inherited some talent, added a few of his own guys, drafted a rookie QB and took us to the AFC Championship game.

Second year gets us off to our best start in over 20 years, with a pretty banged up squad at this point.

If Mangini had stayed both years would've been vastly different.

7. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

I still disagree with this.... Down the Stretch that year we lost to some horrid QB's... We let QB's just sit back and pick our defense apart. THAT to me was were those games were lost.....

I'd like to think that Rex would not have let those QB's pick his team apart like Mangini did.... And that's what I said the day Rex was hired - THANK GOD I'll never see some no name QB in Seattle sit back for 10 seconds with no pass rush at all....

We needed the Defense to simply pick on some weaklings to have a succesful end of year run... i can't totally blame Favre at all...

Personally I had a BLAST with Favre here....

8. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Why isn't it fair? We are talking about a HC who has been here 2 seasons so I want to look at his performance in comparison w/the 2 seasons preceding him.

He inherited an average team w/o a QB and missing many key pieces. He has not won with that talent - he has improved the talent level overall through smart acquisitions and good coaching. He gets credit for doing a pretty good job thus far of improving the team.

9. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Lol that was my reaction. The guy is human not some fuckin robot that just spews the same decisions in the same place. He feels how his team is doing before he decides. Its easy as fans to say go for it but if he fails everyone is like oh my god why just kick the fg.

10. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

It was a full yard..... BTW.

11. nyjunc

No he wasn't, we were 9-3 mostly in spite of him. The 3 games we lost he was atrcoious in and he was bad in some other games that we won.

We did lose to some horrid QBs but we weren't given up 30 pts, our O couldn't score. The lone game we won at the end of 2008 we won b/c the D scored in the final minutes against Buffalo.

That no name Seattle QB led his team to just 13 pts, we scored THREE.

Favre was fun to watch, I think things would have been different had he been here all offseason and played a 2nd year in this system but being acquired a month before the start of the reg season he didn't have much of a chance and he was not good most of that year. If we kept Chad we eaily win the division BUT then we don't get Rex or sanchez, the tank job by favre led to rex and Sanchez so looking back although it was a bad move for 2008 it turned out to be a great move for 2009 and beyond.

12. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Not to mention he inherited a below average D and made it the number 1 D the following year.

13. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I don't agree w/you. I don't think we had a playoff QB, playoff receivers, we had an inexperienced OL and an inconsistent defense to put it mildly and we hadn't even been in the playoffs since '06 and we hadn't won a playoff game since '04.

14. nyjunc

2007 we had atrocious OL play, in 2008 we got Woody and Faneca and our OL was one of the best.

In 2007 Kellen Clemens played most of the year, revis and Harris were rookies not 3rd year guys like they were in 2009.

he inherited playoff caliber talent and he coached it up and got us there. I'm not saying he walked into the '85 Bears but he did inherit talent and did a great job w/ that talent.

15. nyjunc

Inexperienced OL? We had an incredibly experienced OL.

We didn't have an experienced QB and our WRs heading into 2009 weren't great but we still had playoff talent overall. Excellent OL, excellent RBs, excellent DL, excellent LBs, good secondary.

16. nyjunc

Having a healthy Harris(which we did not have in '08) sure helped along w/ adding Scott and leonhard. I'm not trying to take credit away from rex, I think he did an excellent job in 2009 but he wasn't working w/ the 1989 Jets.

17. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

In the Seattle game they also ran the ball all over our defense and dominated TOP while Favre was sacked 4 times and we made the Seattle defense looking like the 85' Bears.

It wasn't all on Favre.

But, I agree with favre not having the best odds in his favor here - Again, i thought the play calling was insane and helped hurt him a lot.. the Raider game comes to mind... I think we came off a game where we tried to run for a TD and didn't make it Vs the Pats and everyone came out saying "How can you have BRETT FAVRE and Not throw the ball..." So, we go into Oakland vs a team that couldn't stop the run but, happened to have a real good pass rush and a real good secondary and what do the Jets do??/ They Appease the masses and PASS all day with favre until he takes a beating.....

Another game where I don't blame Favre AT ALL - I blame Game plan, play calling coaching and caving in to the media and fans thirst for More Favre.

That year with Fave, we should have ran the ball asmuch as we could whenever we could, the Jets should have never listened to the masses and Favre should have been able to STAY HEALTHY Not take an unceessary beating and get injured and should have been able to finish the year strong...

I BLAME THAT YEAR ON BAD COACHING...... NOT FAVRE AT ALL.

#97 Jet Blue, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  18. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah Rex inherited a pretty talented football team, especially on defense. He just found a way to maximize everybody's abilities

We did go 9-7 in 2008

19. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

So he gets blame for the losses and just about no credit for the wins.

His QB rating in 07 was 95.7, in 09 it was 107.2.

In 2008 with much less offensive talent around him he had a overall QB rating of 81. His completion percentage in the first 12 games hovered around 65%-80%.

We started out 1-2, Brett won us the first game vs Miami, team loss vs NE losing 19-10. Game 3 the defense gives up 48 points to the Chargers despite Bret throwing 3 TDs that day with a completion percentage of 71.4%

After that point Favre does a lot of great things, had a horrible game against the Raiders and we looked to be on our way. We beat a undefeated Titan team and it was all down hill from there, most likely due to Favre's injury.

20. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Thanks for posting this. I had not seen it.. but I don't think it's even close to as big of a deal as some are making it out to be. It seemed to me like Rex already was going to go for it when he found out it was such a short distance. But I do like the passion Braylon showed there. That was great to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.