4th quarter Third and 3 call

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AbdulSalam, Dec 20, 2010.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

How was the too conservative? that was anything but conservative, it was too risky at that time. mark should have been under center rolling out w/ a pass/run option where he only throws it if the play is wide open or else he runs or takes a sack to make Pitt use their last TO.

#21 nyjunc, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  2. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

That call should of cost us the game.

Just think about it, when we got that HUGE sack on big ben they called a timeout. Then regrouped and converted a 3rd and 24 because of it. If they didnt have that timeout they would of been 100% fuck have to call a hurry up have no time to set up rush the play and very likely end up turning the ball over on downs.

Im sorry but on 3rd and 3 when the other team only has 1 timeout (if they have 2 or 3 thats one thing) you RUN THE FUCKING BALL. Or at the very least you tell the QB to only throw it if you got a guy wide open, Sanchez threw a terrible pass to a guy who wasnt even almost remotely open, and I believe Keller had to reach in there just to prevent the guy from intercepting it.

This was absolutely Atrocious time management that this coaching staff does every single fucking week, and I guarantee at some point THIS is the stupid shit thats going to cost us our season. Every single week our coaching staff does everything in their power to give our opponents the best chance possible to win.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

regardless of what the O did on that 3rd down when you are up 5 and the opponent has one timeout and needs to go 92 yds to acore a TD there is absolutely no excuse for allowing a TD.

4. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

I saw that. Very surprising, as it looked like a play designed to hit Santonio. I think that would have been the game if we converted -- and would have saved me another mild heart attack.

5. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Yeah, they should have run.

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Bring back Dick Curl.

7. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

I didn't mind the call at all. Great teams have the guts to make that call and put the other team away. If you want to argue that it was short yardage and we might have gotten the first on the ground, OK....but I don't think it was a horrible call. If they complete a pass, they are geniuses. If they ran it and didn't make it and ended up losing, people would be killing them for being too conservative. Schotty called an excellent game. First time in 4 or 5 weeks that I didn't know what was coming next from our offense.

8. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

The call that I didn't mind was passing on 2nd down when we were trying to run the clock out. Converting would have basically iced the game and there was pretty much a 0% chance of converting if we got to 3rd down.

9. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I kept thinking about the end of the Detroit game, where the Lions passed the ball on third down.

Although, that play was inside of the 2 minute mark.

10. chrisrex

chrisrex Active Member

I kinda liked that they tried to win the game right there. Even IF we force the Steelers to use their last time out, they would still have had a TON of time on the clock. Its not like running the ball would have left the Steelers with 38 seconds left. They would have had AMPLE time either way, so why not try to go for the win? If the Steelers did NOT have that time out, I'd have run it either way.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

If they had no timeouts the game almost certainly would have been over when we sacked roethlisberger on the following drive to make it 3rd and 24. If you want to pass in that situation, tell the qb to throw it only if someone is wide open and to take a sack or run otherwise.

12. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I had no problem with passing there considering how much time was left on the clock and the Steelers had a TO left, but what I didn't like was the shotgun formation. At least send the O up there in a regular set to give the impression you MIGHT run the ball. It was obvious we were passing out of the shotgun, and we were running 4 yards a play in the 4th so I didn't understand the formation.

13. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

Passing there is fine, but Keller was well-covered there. They blitzed there and we just didn't pick it up. Like many "controversial" calls, it wasn't about the call, it was the execution.

I actually thought we ran out of the shotgun pretty well. Why we don't do that more often on down and distance like 3rd and 3 is a mystery to me.

14. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

That was the only call in the game i was upset with. I would have no doubt ran it there,and infact,those are the situations i think Shotty has been screwing up this year. Had we lost,i would have came back to that play as the one that SHOULD have ended the game. But we didn't,so....

15. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I liked the call. I can't see the sense in running to pick up 3 yards against one of the best run defenses history ... and then holding your breath hoping that Big Ben doesn't pull off another one of his comeback victories against a pass defense that has been (let's be honest) very suspect this year.

Don't even give him the opportunity if you can help it. Just because we didn't complete it, doesn't make it a bad decision. Personally I'm glad to see us line up and go for the win instead of playing not to lose.

16. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

No excuse for not running in that situation. I'm sorry, but you make them burn their last time out and essentially give them much less time to score a TD. That crap at the end there would have never even happened if the Jets ran the ball on that 3rd down play.

17. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

Thats tough to do when the play is a designed roll out to the right. Throwing across your body to the opposite field = no no. See brett favre in the nfc championship game.

18. rock316nyj

rock316nyj Member

For everyone saying that it would have forced the steelers into using their last timeout you are WRONG!!! By the end of the play there would have been about 2:20 left...so lets break this down...after the punt lets say 2:08 i think? That pretty much would give the steelers one play and then they cant stop the clock again...I'm 99% sure Tomlin would have elected to run it down to the 2 minute warning, start the drive with 1:50, and have a timeout in his possession

19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

They had the 2 minute warning to work with plus a timeout with more time on the clock. You don't see the obvious difference?

20. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I agreed with declining the penalty. I figured we had a better chance at stopping them at 3rd and 10 then 2nd and 15. Itd be nice to push them back 5 but it would be easier to stop them twice from going 10 then 3 times going 15 when they are passing down field. Its a tough call though.