4th quarter Third and 3 call

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AbdulSalam, Dec 20, 2010.

1. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

In the 4th quarter the Jets got the safety to take a 22-17 and then Cromartie rec'd the punt and ran backwards for a 6yd loss. The Jets took over 1/10 at their 33 - Greene for 2 yds. TO #1 Pitt @ 2:30. 2/8 @ Ny 35 Greene for 5 yds. To #2 Pitt @2:24. 3/3 @ Ny 40 w/2:24 - Sanchez goes shotgun incomplete to Keller.

My question is was that the right call on 3/3 from our own 40? Seems to me like it was a poor call because it would have been safer and smarter to have run the ball there for the 1st down. Even if we didn't get the first, we'd have forced Pitt to burn its last TO and we wouldn't have risked an interception - and I think we could have gotten the yardage on the ground. We ran the ball today better than any team has against Pittsburgh all season.

Just wondering if anybody else saw it the way that I saw it or if I'm off base.

2. mikebench

mikebench New Member

I didn't mind the call.. roll Sanchez out.. if there's an opening, he can run for the first down.. if not, try to find the open receiver.. just didn't work out..

3. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

It's a Schotty call...too conservative for my liking. Pound and ground...WTF happened to that? Schotty is too inconsistent.

4. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

It would of been better to run it IMO, I think we would have got the first but anything could of happened.

5. grayburn

grayburn Member

Running certainly did seem like a better option. But we're dealing with schotty here, baby steps.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I waned to see a run, but I don't mind being aggressive.

7. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

We certainly passed on running downs inside 3:43. Poor calling.

8. mrgoose

mrgoose Member

If you watch that play over, you'll see that Santonio was open in the middle of the field (he ran a slant from the left side). In fact he was calling for the ball with his arm extended. When Sanchez threw to Keller incomplete, Santonio threw both of his arms in the air apparently disappointed that Mark didn't see him. If Mark had just taken a peek to his left before unleashing to Keller, he would have been able to hit Holmes for a good 10 to 15 yards.

#8 mrgoose, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  9. steves850

steves850 Active Member

Yeah I saw that too. I don't mind the call obviously hindsight is always 20/20 but if Sanchez had more time it woulda been a first and the game would have been essentially over.

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I was screaming on that play because a run would have forced the Steelers to burn their last TO and I think would have given us the better opportunity to pick up the first.

11. Pad Chennington

Pad Chennington New Member

this play was beyond stupid. number one keller wasn't remotely open, he had a defender right on him. number two, i believe sanchez came out of that in a shotgun formation..surprise surprise..and obviously it stopped the clock. stupid as shit.

12. mrgoose

mrgoose Member

I wasn't a huge fan of the call either, but in fairness there WAS a receiver running wide open (Holmes), Mark just didn't see him.

13. Pad Chennington

Pad Chennington New Member

because he never looks off a receiver. he always has one guy out of the huddle and always throws it his way....kinda like me in madden. except i dont get paid to throw incompletions and picks in a virtual reality world the way he does between the white lines on sunday.

14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I was fine with the 3rd and 3 call. A run would have been ideal, since you'd be able to run some clock, but if you think you have a better chance of getting the 1st through the air, whatever, take a shot...

I had a bigger problem with the 2nd and 5 call on the previous drive. Run it again. At the 32 yardline, we were close to field goal range. Maybe we get 3 more yards, setting up an easier 3rd down, which we can run or pass. And even if we don't get it on 3rd down, we're in prime position to either go for it or kick a field goal. Maybe we get no gain, but we still run the clock. Either way, throwing twice and punting was not smart there IMO.

Just like the previous scenario, I don't mind throwing once, to try to catch the defense off guard. But when you're winning, you run the damn ball, and run some clock. It's okay to take a shot through the air once maybe to try to be aggressive. But more than that is just stupid and playing against the odds.

15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I threw my hat at the TV. Overall, Jets remain poor at bleeding the clock, plays going out of bounds, etc. In that situation, being aggressive and going for the kill is fine except you have a QB with an abysmal completion percentage. Keep it on the ground and force them to use their last timeout. Jets saved them a lot of time at the end of the game unnecessarily.

16. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I didn't mind the pass there. A run probably does not get the first. However; I wasn't crazy about the pass play they chose. Took too long to develop and there was nothing there.

17. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

yeah I didn't like the clock management in the game at all. Particularly at the end because it gave the Steelers way too much time. However, if they had gone conservative and the Steelers managed to climb their way back and win the game I think we'd be even more critical.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I went into rage mode when we passed there. I thought Schotty called a very good game, but that call was retarded. You have to force them to use a TO or burn the two minute warning there.

There were quite a few mistakes in the "endgame" by the Jets yesterday IMO. The game should have been over without those last two shots at the endzone from so close for the Steelers. For example, why the fuck did Rex decline the penalty with 47 seconds left? We couldn't stop them on 3rd down all game and he declines a penalty with 47 seconds left to force a 3rd down? NO. Lengthen the field in that situation.

19. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Hated throwing there. Hated it. The OL was getting a good push, I'd say it was at least 50-50 that you run for the first anyway. And even if you don't, you're forcing Pitt to take their last timeout...I'd go conservative there, and run, run, run.

20. Johnny "Lam" Jones

Johnny "Lam" Jones Active Member

I personally would have run another naked bootleg. If its there run for the first and the game If its not take a knee, force the last TO and punt.

not a good play call with the game on the line.

However can't be too upset with Schootty, he did have the guts to call a naked on a fourth down play to tie the game.

Lam