Jets’ Swagger and Offense Appear Lost

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Blocker, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

From the NY Times

December 16, 2010

Jets’ Swagger and Offense Appear Lost
    By GREG BISHOP
    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — The offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer heard the angry mob of Jets fans who chanted for his termination Sunday night. He saw his boss, Coach Rex Ryan, in the offensive meeting room first thing Monday morning. As far as approval ratings go, these are not good signs.

Usually, teams with the Jets’ record (9-4) and offensive ranking (12) escape that kind of scrutiny. Such is the sorry state of the Jets’ offense, which last scored a touchdown in November, nine quarters ago. Thursday marked the three-week anniversary of the team’s last offensive touchdown.

As Schottenheimer addressed reporters, he wore a full beard and the look of a man who spent this week inside a dark office, studying film, the N.F.L. equivalent of a horror movie marathon. A hot head coaching candidate less than a month ago, Schottenheimer found himself in circumstances that seem to surface every season — as a primary target for criticism, as a coach who must defend his job.

“I know I’m a damn good football coach,” Schottenheimer said, his voice rising slightly. “I’m good at what I do. We’ve had a lot of success here.”

Just not lately, not running, not passing, not blocking, not in anything, really, except practicing, which has not translated on game days. The Jets spent the week answering for the offensive behavior of their strength coach. They will spend the rest of the season answering for their offense, unless the pattern changes, unless the Jets, you know, score.

But Schottenheimer is not alone in earning, receiving or accepting blame, and that is the main problem. The offensive line played two of its worst games last Sunday against Miami and the previous Monday against New England. So did Mark Sanchez, whom Ryan considered benching against the Dolphins. So did the pair of grounded running backs, LaDainian Tomlinson and Shonn Greene.

The Jets answer all those issues with a single word, execution, or lack of it. With abundant talent, that means one of two things: either the players are individually and collectively underachieving after coaches put them in the right position, or the coaches are neither sufficiently preparing them to play, nor making full use of their talent. The likely answer: both, to varying degrees.

On one hand, Tomlinson said: “It’s not Schotty’s fault. It’s our fault. We need to play better.”

On the other, Schottenheimer said: “I appreciate the guys saying that, but over all, I’m in charge of the offense. I take a lot of pride in that. And we’re not playing well.”

Most disconcerting is Sanchez. He made significant strides earlier this season, in terms of turnovers, understanding the offense and leadership. But lately, his career arc is a classic study in regression analysis.

In the past three games — all clunkers — Sanchez posted one touchdown and five interceptions and completed fewer than half his passes. His season quarterback rating stands at 74.2, the worst for a starter in his conference. Against Miami, his two turnovers led to all the points the Dolphins needed in their 10-6 victory.

Throughout his career, Sanchez has struggled with bad body language after poor performances, with holding on too long, too often, to mistakes. On Thursday, he bounded through the locker room, upbeat, confident, full of jokes. He did not appear overly concerned. Perhaps he should be.

In Pittsburgh on Sunday, Sanchez will face arguably the N.F.L.’s best defense, one lauded by Ryan, the defensive guru, throughout this week. The Steelers present multiple coverage looks, blitz from varied angles and boast enough talent to beat offenses without their brilliant defensive schemes. They are, in a word, dangerous. Or, in another word, imposing.

This is where Sanchez’s exchange Wednesday with reporters presented more concern. Sanchez wondered aloud if perhaps he faced doubts “even in the building.” Pressed, he laughed nervously and dodged the question with an answer about thick skin. Asked if Ryan doubted him, because he considered benching him, Sanchez gave perhaps the most terse response of his career.

“You could say that,” he said. “I don’t know. Ask Rex.”

Ryan laughed off the possibility of a schism between the offense and the defense, despite the recent disparity between the units. Both he and linebacker Bart Scott referred to their time in Baltimore, where the Ravens’ offensive talent never matched the defense — “Man, c’mon,” Scott said, “I played with Kyle Boller for six years” — yet, at least according to Ryan, the two sides never split.

In fact, Ryan stepped back Thursday to put Sanchez’s accomplishments in perspective. He noted that Sanchez led the Jets to within a game of the Super Bowl as a rookie, that he owns a respectable record as a starter, 20-12, including playoffs.

“Mark Sanchez is our quarterback,” Ryan said.

Tomlinson floated another theory Thursday. He said the Jets boast so many offensive playmakers — tight end Dustin Keller; wide receivers Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery; Tomlinson and Greene — that opponents struggled to decipher how Schottenheimer would deploy the available talent. Now, Tomlinson said, teams have film, and they have figured out tendencies and the Jets’ preferred methods of distribution.

That, too, seems to fall on Schottenheimer, who left his news conference smiling — and went right back to the film room.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/17/sports/football/17jets.html?_r=1&ref=sports&pagewanted=print

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

No shit, Sherlock.....CHANGE THE GAMEPLAN, SCHOTTY!!!11!111!!

ANYBODY HOME, MCFLY?!

3. Big Blocker

4. Big Blocker

MB,

I actually think Bishop placed the heart of the article at the end:

Tomlinson floated another theory Thursday. He said the Jets boast so many offensive playmakers — tight end Dustin Keller; wide receivers Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery; Tomlinson and Greene — that opponents struggled to decipher how Schottenheimer would deploy the available talent. Now, Tomlinson said, teams have film, and they have figured out tendencies and the Jets’ preferred methods of distribution.

That, too, seems to fall on Schottenheimer, who left his news conference smiling — and went right back to the film room.

This makes complete sense to me, in terms of noting the season's arc of the initial loss to the Ravens, when the Jets were still getting comfortable with their having added LT, and Holmes was not yet playing, through the early season successes, the GB debacle, which occurred against an imo well coached team with a solid D, the mid season struggles against mediocre opponents, and now solid thrashings at the hands of good to very good opposing D's.

I would also say we cannot discount poor execution, and drop off at both Qb and OL, but imo they do not explain the whole thing.

Turns out this is both a simple and logical explanation - give credit to opponents. They watch game film of the Jets. They have figured out what the Jets do on O, and now others have watched opponents before them, and what they do to beat the Jet O.

Meanwhile BS has not changed it up.

In fairness to BS, the other variables have made it difficult to isolate the variable that makes the most difference. But no TD's in nine quarters - it can't all be one thing.

Except for the one thing that imo ties together all the other variables - opponents seem to have figured out what the Jets do on O. We talked about this some after the Pats game. They seemed ot know exactly what was coming.

The other point in fairness I think should be made is that it is difficult with a relatively inexperienced Qb to totally change up the O in one week. Even if BS understood this was his mission, and had the ability on his own to come up with a changed approach, can it be put into effect?

I don't know. But we unfortunately have reason to be skeptical. Among other things, we don't know if BS and the rest of the Jet CS understands the real problem here.

But I do think Bishop is onto something, something that ties all the rest together.

5. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Maybe the receivers switch roles, and Keller runs left where he would normally run right.

Just trying to think of easy changes here.

Instead of trying to run it up the middle every time with 15 guys in the box run a sweep right, or even left a few times.

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I wrote a post last week that the mods (within minutes mind you) moved to the sespool forum.

basically said we may have toooo much talent. May have too many play makers, which means none of them have to be 'the man'.

When you play along side 5 other guys who can all be game changers, then it becomes toooo ez to simply wait on the next guy to make the catch, tackle, int, or whatever.

i compared this to keyshawn in our afce championship game against the jags when key was 'the man', seemingly on both sides of the ball. he knew it was him or go home.

7. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Here's what I don't get - all of this gets lumped on Schotty, and rightly so; but we have THREE coaches on staff who have been offensive coordinators in the NFL. That doesn't even count our assistant offensive coordinator. So, where the hell are these other voices?

8. Big Blocker

Up to a point you have a point. But surely you are not suggesting that it is impossible to use that many game changers.

I don't know if you remember the Bills from the nineties. On O they had immense talent at ALL the skill positions. Didn't seem to hurt them any.

My theory slightly modifying what that article alludes to is that BS rested on early season success. What got them a certain amount of success was an O that combined those talents but in a simple enough scheme that it did not overwhelm the players new to the roster or Sanchez in his second year. But that scheme has now been analyzed and understood by a succession of opponents. And dealt with.

Now it is up to BS to change it up.

Here's the thing - if BS succeeds at that, he will go maybe not from goat to hero, but at least he can get out of the barnyard, and the Jets can get back on track.

If he does not...

9. Big Blocker

I have been trying to make that point to the Schotty haters for months now. The point does not totally absolve him, but there is a collective responsibility here, a collective failure, and enough guilt to go around in the CS.

10. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I also think there's a dynamic between Rex and that group that may be hindering change. Listen to Rex's press conference yesterday. He was asked something about his approach to offensive game planning and the offensive coaching staff. He said something like, "I stop into those meetings, and might suggest something once in a while, but I would never presume to know as much about offense as the guys in that coaches' room."

As much as I hate to play armchair psychologist, imagine you're Rex Ryan - a defensive guy - and you have three guys who have coordinated offenses in the NFL. My concern would be that you have this sort of insular group-think going on, and he's oddly intimidated about injecting himself in the middle of it. I may be way off base, but where's the guy walking into Rex's office late one night and saying, "Hey Rex, can I talk to you about something for a minute?" Or, please tell me that Rex is pulling a guy like Matt Cavanaugh aside for a private luncheon at the local Blimpies, and saying, "Dude, on the level, what are we doing wrong?"

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

If the offense puts up another stinker this week I hope Rex treats Schottenheimer like his father treated Kevin Gilbride.

12. Kingfish

Kingfish Active Member

The lack of a consistent running game is the biggest problem with the Jets offense, not Sanchez.

Peyton Manning is a great QB, but without a running game, he is struggling.
    The defense doesn't respect the run and they know that Manning has to pass on almost every down.

The Jets have a similar problem.

13. blantyr

blantyr Member

Game Changers

The Patriots had one guy like that, a game changer that wanted the ball, and seemingly wouldn't put energy into his play if he wasn't going to be the star. BB traded him. He wound up with the Vikings, was cut, then moved on to the Titans.

It isn't just having the skill and physical gifts sufficient to be a game changer alone that is important. Having too many game changers isn't a problem if they all put the team ahead of their own egos, if all of them put effort into every play.

14. Big Blocker

Yep. Not to reach too far into the Civil War analogies, but it's like Lee at Gettysburg. The parallel only goes so far, because before Gettysburg Lee relied so much for implementation of his overall stategy on Stonewall Jackson, and THAT analogy I do not intend here.

But Lee saw his job as positioning his "team" and then letting his subordinates give tactical and operational effect to his overall strategy. To some extent this is necessary - the alternative at the other extreme is micromanagement, and to carry the war analogy further, Lee could not be in all places on the battlefield at all times.

But at Gettysburg, perhaps not yet used to Jackson's absence, Lee was vague in telling his people what he wanted, and more to the point arguably did not listen enough to them, particularly Longstreet, to understand the flaws in the army's dispositions and strategy.

The point is that erring too much on the side of deference means not only that subordinates might not adequately understand what is expected of them, but like you are alluding to on the Jets that the commander, the HC, might not understand enough to do HIS job what is going on, what his junior commanders are doing, dealing with, thinking.

The other useful analogy from Lee at Gettysburg is that Gettysburg followed five large victories by Lee's army, and this led to an over optimism, and expecting his opponent to be as poorly led as in those five victories. But his opponents by then maybe did not have game film of him, heh, but they surely understood him better, and did not make the same mistakes they had before.

Anyway, pardon the Civil War analogy.

#14 Big Blocker, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  15. Big Blocker

No. Read the article and the subsequent posts. The single problem tying all other problems in O together is that opponents have figured out what the Jets are trying to do on O, and have seen others come up with ways to defeat the Jets.

16. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

"Appear" - Like theres some kind of doubt about it. Whats next a fight between offensive players? At least that would indicate some kind of passion

17. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Well which is it? Should he shake off mistakes and appear upbeat for the team, or should he walk around looking like the weight of the world is on his shoulders? You can't criticise him both ways at the same time.

18. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Two things that baffle me about the offensive playcalling recently:

a) Why does it look like Schotty thinks LT = TJ? It makes me sick to my stomach watching them pound LT up the middle play after play and rarely give him a chance to use his elusiveness on the outside or with short pass routes. I thought his pass-catching ability was supposed to be part of why we wanted him over TJ. If we're going to constantly run inside then we should at least be seeing SG get more touches.

b) What the hell happened to the short slants to Holmes or Edwards??? On the rare occasions that Shotty has dialed these plays up they seem to be money (especially to Holmes) and yet the past two weeks it looks like they aren't in the playbook anymore. Time after time NE kills us with the short passing game over the middle and Schotty still seems reluctant to learn from it. Our WRs have great YAC ability and yet he never puts them in position to use it.

After two games without sniffing the endzone the coaching has to start becoming suspect #1...

19. pittsburghpats

pittsburghpats New Member

Interesting solutions

Talk about how great you are.

Blame your problems on being too great.

Schotty

Your QB sucks.

Your running backs suck

Your oline sucks

Your superstar talkative "playmakers" suck because they don't catch the football, they talk about how great and talented they are.

Solutions

Put your QB who sucks in situations where he can minimize sucking

Tell your "playmakers" that you make plays with your hands and feet not your mouths. If the ball comes your way- catch it. A first down, does not reach a level of accomplishment worthy of a VE day type celebration.

How about putting in the Woodhead guy?

Your opponents (less the Pats) suck just as bad. Quit "playmaking" and realize that eliminating mistakes is more important.

20. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

It's easy to over-analyze. If the linemen block and the WRs catch the QB plays better and we move the ball. If he's rushed and running around he's going to throw bad balls, get them knocked down and the running game isn't going to work. We have enough good guys to match up and create chances but guys have to do their jobs, that's what it comes down to. Playing better teams makes it harder but if you're a good team that's what you have to do.