There were reasons Rex did not get the Ravens job

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Dec 12, 2010.

1. jets12

jets12 Active Member

One of the main things you cannot do in the NFL is brag how you are going to win the Super Bowl before training camp even starts and then to have your ass handed to you 45-3 and stand on the sideline while Brady is still throwing with 3 and a half minutes left in the game and you don't have have your players taking him to the ground even if it was with a late hit to send the message that you are not going to embarrass us. Instead he let him rub it in and his team quit on him.

I lost all respect for Rex when he let Bellicheat get his team together after 3 quarters and basically tell them to keep rubbing it in. If he had half the balls that he acts like he has, he would have called a time out right after it and called his team and tell them, if anyone is going to quit in the 4th quarter then I will be watching and there will be changes on Tuesday. Instead he just let them go through the motions and even let Brady pass right to the end.

The other major weakness is that he has surrounded himself with a bunch of assistant coaches that should not be coordinators and he refuses to do anything. Shottneheimer should have been let go in the off season and Pettrine is a joke.

If Rex had balls he would tell the team that Callahan is calling the plays the rest of the year. If Shotty doesn't like it, I would gladly drive him to the airport.

Why was Woody compelled to add three years to contracts that already had three years left for Tannenbaum and Rex this summer?

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Part of this is right. Sad.

3. gangreen_indeed

Ryan is so in control of his staff and players, his players lie down to the Pats and his coaching staff trips opponent players in the field of play.

Kinda funny, actually. All hat, no cattle.

4. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

You should be the head coach. I'm sure you'd do better.

[​IMG]

5. The Dark Knight

Rex talking the way he does is really a HUGE problem though. His brashness and tough guy talk and way of motivating is completely worthless when you play bad and you lose. The Jets can't collapse, go 9-7 or 10-6 and either miss the playoffs or get blown out in the Wild Card round and expect to keep Rex. It won't make sense. You can't have all that talk and then back it up with nothing. If this team misses the playoffs, what can Rex say? WERE GONNA BEAT THE F*CK OUT OF YOU IN 2011! THE NFL WATCHOUT FOR THE JETS!!! WERE COMING FOR YA!!

Everyone will laugh............He brought this on himself though. Tough situation.

6. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I can't argue with any of that.

Two weeks ago, I was talking to a neighbor who is a Jets fan. The Jets were 9-2 at the time. The guy was thoroughly pissed with Rex Ryan and said he is wrong for the team. I did not argue.

7. jb944

jb944 Banned

rex keeps telling all of you how great the jets are and how they are a superbowl team. so if they dont get past round 1 whos fault is it, and did rex do what he told everyone all along

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

His father was the same way when coaching the Eagles and Cardinals- plenty of tough talk and hot air, but no Super Bowls. Hell, Buddy didn't even win a playoff game as a head coach. He was an excellent coordinator, of course. Thing is, you can get away with being a blowhard when you are a coordinator. It is tougher to be that way when you are a head coach.

Rex Ryan needs to step up right now. This is his first really big test. Anything nice the team did in 2009 was like house money since it was his first year. That is over now.

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

In the offseason Ryan said the Jets would sweep the Dolphins this year. His players sure made him look good today.

10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yes, Rex talking big in pre-season is why we lost 2 December games in a row

11. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Against two teams we already beat when we played them much closer to the point in time when Rex was actually talking like that.

12. All Star

All Star Active Member

I like the fact that he talks, that's our game.

Talking took us all the way to the AFC Champ. game last year, we were a lot worse off then then we are now.

He brought us credibility again as a franchise, he is still 18-11 with a rookie QB he brought in.

13. The Sanchise

The Sanchise Active Member

talk to me when you win something. I like Rex but this offense is fucking brutal

14. Elijah

Elijah New Member

Rex's habit of being loud and obnoxious to the media is either genius or terrible, depending on how the Jets played that week.

Jets win: "Yeah! Rex does such a great job pumping his players up! We knew we could do it the whole time! J E T S JETS JETS JETS!"

Jets lose: "That fat jackass needs to shut up unless his team can perform as well as he says they can..."

This is all coming from a "Cheatriots" fan, as you guys lovingly call us, but I think Rex isn't the problem. He knows his football, especially defense. As most on this forum have pointed out, the problem is mostly the OC. I also think the huge collection of "me first" divas on the team is causing problems as well, but there's no proof of that.

Either way, it's only a two game skid. The Saints lost three straight last year, and look where they turned out. I don't want you guys to win a Super Bowl, but it's not like the season is over.

15. The Dark Knight

I feel like Rex will never beat Belichick again. That is cause for concern. 1-3 vs the terrible Dolphins? Not good. Rex better turn it around fast. Funny how you can go from 9-2 to people wanting you fired, but it has happened.

16. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

let's make it to the playoffs first...

17. All Star

All Star Active Member

What we need: A playmaking safety (in the mold of Kerry Rhodes >_>) and Jim Leonhard back, a pass rushing OLB, and a new Off. Coordinator.

Bleh.

18. grayburn

grayburn Member

I don't want the guys heaon a platter or anything but it would be great if he could just shut up and coach these guys through a win sometime soon. He looked defeated in the third quarter again.

19. ex-jetsfan

ex-jetsfan New Member

I still think Rex is a great coach who the players have a lot of respect for. I would prefer he keep his mouth shut in the media so that he doesn't create bulletin board material for the other team.

I was surprised that he predicted that the Dolphins would be swept by the Jets. I'm a believer of "any given Sunday" axiom which shows that the Browns defeated the Pats and the Lions defeated the Packers. Anything can happen. The Jets need to work on playing mistake free football and they'll turn it around.

20. I Come in peace

I Come in peace New Member

Rex does what not a lot of coaches will do, they take the heat when it comes their way and allow the players to avoid much of the controversy. Remember last year when Sanchez came in and basically like a 5th grader told the media how the questioning was going to go? That was basically a 2 day story, went away relatively quickly? Why? because REX took the heat, explained Sanchez is a kid and said thats on him. I would wager that not one current NFL head coach would have done that ZERO none zilch.

Want to argue his x's and o's and his choice of a staff thats fine, but the man is a good coach, I think he could use a polar opposite of him coordinating his defense, sort of to balance out that bravado, keep the "lets blitz every f-ing play" atitude in check at times.