Unreal: 13-3 Might Get Us #1 Seed...or #5

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Nov 27, 2010.

1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Really blows that if the season plays out as expected -- and even if we win Dec 6th but lose 2 other games it could happen at 12-4 -- that we could be in the same position as last year at 9-7....#5 seed with no bye or homefield (unless we play in the AFC Champsionship vs. #6 seed, highly unlikely).

With most of the AFC and NFC East teams now having lucrative new stadiums (sans Bills), I think that we may be seeing a PERMANENT shift of power back to the Eastern teams now that they are no longer at a $$$ disadvantage in keeping/signing free agents. You could have the AFC and NFC West winners for years coming in at 9-7 or 10-6 and the #5 or #6 wildcards coming in 2-3 games better.

Nothing you can do about it, but just goes to show you the enormous dropoff in not winning the division when you're 1A and 1B in the same division.

2. Deathstroke

Deathstroke Active Member

Honestly I wouldn't mind us on the road. We play a hell of a lot better on the road than we do at home. Not only that but I'm worried what Schotty would do with a bye week in the playoffs to get ready for the divisional game

3. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

ummm what? its called a salary cap DOOD

Worse teams will get easier schedules and better draft picks, it all evens out eventually..unless your the lions or the raiders

4. JetsKickAss

You know what I think is the real killer ?

I think the PRESSURE of being an overall #1 or #2 seed is really tough on teams today. With free agency, you don't have the continuity in the 2nd-stringers and backups that you did 20-30 years ago. So there's more pressure on the stars to perform.

Basically, the entire season goes down the tubes if you flame out in the 2nd Round or even the Championship game.

Think of how many teams have had kick-ass 12-4 or 13-3 or even 14-2 seasons -- and yeah, throw in Minnesota's 15-1 in 1998 and their chokejob at home vs. Atlanta -- and then blown it.

You know, Bill Cowher gets this reverence and yet he UNDERPERFORMED for years with the best team or prohibitive favorites and the 1 year he won the SB he barely got by with questionable referreeing and horrible QB play. How many years did they get upset ? I think they played better when the LOST the SB to Dallas then when they beat Seattle to win it.

I think it's EASIER to win the SB -- even though they don't do it deliberately -- to go in as a lower seed and either upset the favorites or have them upset and then you face a lower-seed at home.

Staubach, Elway, Rothleisberger, Eli Manning -- lots had playoff flops before they won it all.

Only team that didn't flop as a big favorite early and won multiple-years it was expected that comes to my mind would be the great 49'er teams of the 1980's and the Dallas teams of the 1990's (under JJ).

I'm sure someone can pull up the stat that shows how many times since the wildcard came into being -- 1970 ? -- that the overall #1 seed went to the SB from each conference.

Probably was a better predictor in the 1970's and 1980's than the last 20 years, I'll wager.

5. JetsKickAss

Higher revenue streams means you can spend more upfront in big signing bonuses and write-off the amounts later (that's what drove Al Davis nuts about DeBartolo and the 49'ers 10-12 years ago).

Also means more money for coaches, scouting, etc.

I agree it's not entirely unlevel but it's not equal, either.

6. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Cash on hand has never been an issue for the Jets and it never will be.

7. JetsKickAss

Probably....but Woody sunk alot of his personal net worth into the Jets and he doesn't want to tap trust funds to pay huge bonuses (Jets lost tens of millions on the reduced PSL fees).

8. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

lets just worry about the patriots

9. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I didn't follow that stuff, but did the Jets lose money or did they not make as much as they anticipated? At any rate, the Jets make so much off merchandise that I don't think cash will ever be an issue for them as long as they keep winning.

10. Deathstroke

Deathstroke Active Member

Not as long as people keep on having babies

11. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

This is especially true after Rex Ryan and Hard Knocks. Jets are the flavor of the month so merchandise and apparel is gonna fly off the shelves. 9-2 def dont hurt either

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Quite a long month.

The more people that see this team is awesome, the more gray area bangwagon retards will eat up the Jets merchandise to look cool. That's awesome for the franchise, but those are the fucker who embarrass my fanbase.

13. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

u realize the "same ole jets" crowd is saying "it figures, the year the jets may have their best regular season W-L record, they may not take the top seed."

gotta admit as i watch this play out - alot has broken our way to this point but wouldn't u know it - the freakin pats come stormin back to haunt us.

go figure

jil

14. The Sanchise

The Sanchise Active Member

i have been very confident every step of the way. But this is a game I don't see the Jets winning. NFL needs to re-work the fuckin dumb ass rule that you can go 13-3 and be a 5th seed and have to go on the road to face a 9-7 team. That's fucking terrible.

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Just beat the Patriots. Everyone thinks this game is HUGE, but its bigger than that. :)

Jets win they are (10-2) with a 4-0 division record and tiebreaker over Patriots.
    The Jets next 4 games are Miami, Pittsburgh, Chicago and Buffalo with the luxury of losing any one of those games and still winning the division.

The Patriots lose they are (9-3) with a 2-2 division record and lose the tiebreaker vs. Jets. They would have to win out against the Bears, Packers, Bills and Dolphins and hope the Jets lose 2 of their final 4 games, which would give NE the division.

Pretty awesome stuff. If the Jets lose, I don't even want to think about it, but it would still be a better situation than the Pats would be in with a loss. Both could potentially recieve #5 seeds with the loss on December 6th. Crazy stuff.

16. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Banned

This is the exact reason why the NFL should base all seedings strictly on won-lost record regardless of division.

This is bullshit, either the Jets or the Pats have to pay the price for being one of the two best teams in the AFC, I'm surprised they haven't fixed this yet.

Pats/Jets the 1 and 2 seeds and both teams should get 1st week buys.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Enjoy the fact that one of our teams will butthurt some piece of shit AFC West team....The Jets have no problem playing the Chargers

18. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

In which case it'll be a close contest with Kaeding missing at least 2 FGs

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Jets could finish 13-3, #5 seed and be at Indianapolis for a Wild Card game? Not fair! haha.

20. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

At this point, I just want to get into the playoffs. I'll worry about who we play at that time. With our road record, we might be better off as a wildcard, although it would be nice to have a bye.