Boomer Esiason on Schotty

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JFToLong, Nov 26, 2010.

1. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

Unfortunately I had to listen to a lot of the game on westwood one traveling home from thanksgiving.

He was constantly harping on how Schotty was not setting up his young QB to succeed, and rather was completely taking the offense out of a rhythm with his playcalling.

At one point he said he wanted to run down to the sideline and shake him and ask him what the hell he was doing.

I for one completely agree with Boomer, and think a huge part of the reason this team has struggled so much against so many poor teams is because of Schotty not being able to get his team in a rhythm.

He pointed out how the Patriots were able to get into a rhythm on offense yesterday and became unstoppable because of their playcalling.

That was a game the offense should have completely dominated, instead they really struggled.

The defense and special teams won that game yesterday, the offense sucked.

This team has so many weapons on offense, and they struggle way too much against bad defenses.

If they don't get their act together very very quickly, these last 5 games are going to be very rough, they may go 2-3 in these last 5 if they don't play much better on offense.

All the easy games are done, save MAYBE the Bills game, who happened to drop 45 on the same team the offense really struggled against.

I am ecstatic about the 9-2 record, but I think when push comes to shove this team will not go where it needs to go, and I think there are 2 reasons for it:

1) Undisciplined football
    2) Schotty

I really really hope I am wrong.

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I've been saying this for months.

I understand the team is 9-2....but I think we're only scratching the surface of the offensive potential....and one of the reasons for that is Schotty's asinine playcalling. He's got some issues with finding opponents' weaknesses and exploiting them....it gets more and more frustrating every week, seeing that shit.

I'll re-iterate, I'm not calling for his head....but I will probably crack a smile if/when Schotty leaves for a HC position in the offseason, hopefully outside of the division.

The offense can be so MUCH better....the fans know it, and I'm sure the players know it too. Nobody is saying anything, because we're winning.

Kudos to Esiason for exposing that elephant in the room.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Please stop with the brainless Schottenheimer bashing...

4. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

That's my main argument against Schotty... the word "Rhythm" isn't in his dictionary (in any way, shape or form as he says :p).

My question is... is it because of the personnel, our QB skillset/tendencies, or is it just his schemes?

Oh well, as long as we hit some big plays per game I'll be happy... but I always get the feeling we hit them more because of individual talent rather than design.

#4 Mambo9, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  5. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

Boomer said many times that all the movement kills his teams momentum, and is not confusing anyone anymore.

He also pointed out being very predictable.

I think he tries to get too cute.

I think the problem he has is when he first got an OC job it was with a very limited offensive team.

They did not have a lot of talent at all, and could only succeed by tricking teams.

He did a masterful job that year and the Jets made the playoffs.

The problem is now he has a ton of talent, and instead of just lining up and blowing teams away with an offense that should be able to do that easily, he tries to outsmart teams.

There is no way in hell teams should be able to defend Edwards, Holmes, Keller and LDT out of the backfield, yet, he almost allows them to defend them because of the way he calls a game.

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I think Bengals/Bills game was the proof in the pudding. 35 points against that Bengals' secondary in the 2nd half alone......from the Bills offense. Let that sink in for a bit.

This is why I'm saying our offense's potential has barely been touched.....and I believe it's because Schotty doesn't know how to properly diagnose our opponents' weaknesses.

7. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Probably because there is no such word as "Rythm".

8. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Credit where's credit's due - the execution on the Smith end around was a thing of beauty.

9. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

ehm... -.-" too many h's :p

10. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

I think last night was one of schottys worst games. The Bengal secondary was playing guys off the street and schotty couldn't take advantage. I remember one play second quarter when it was second and one from our own 25 (approximately don't remember exactly ) and we had two wides. bengals lined up with both safeties in the box. Holmes was on the right left one on one alone and we run the ball for a yard and get the first. A few plays later the drive stalled. If he hits Holmes there maybe he takes it to the house maybe he doesn't but at the very least it loosens up the d. He's too conservative in my opinion. I would take more chances. Last yr the conservative play worked because we ran the ball and the d was on point. This yr the running game is not as effective and the d has had lapses and that's why we need to be more agessive to avoid putting ourselves in a hole we have to dig out of late in these games.

11. nexteyenate

nexteyenate Member

All of the pass plays he calls take way too long to develop, especially early on in the game. He needs to call some quick underneath crossing routes early in the game to develop a rhythm in the passing game.

12. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

Shotty sucks. I have said this forever. We win despite him. If we had an OC that was as good as our DC we would be unstoppable.

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Good post......

This is a big issue I have with him. Often, instead of attacking their glaring weakness, he goes with the opposite almost with a "they'll never expect this....." mentality and it often backfires. This was a common occurrence during the 2008 season, and unfortunately reappears on occasion. This team has some solid weapons now, time to straight up attack with them.

#13 stinkyB, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  14. Hobbes3259

waitasekkant...waitasekkant.....

Are you telling me it's not against the rules to throw the ball before the DL has 4 seconds to get into the backfield?

15. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I'll believe Boomer because I think he is a good analyst.

play calling is far from perfect but I really hope that all of you are prepared for the possibility that whoever his replacement is isn't an upgrade in play calling and will certainly not share the level of chemistry that he does with Sanchez.

Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it...

16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Short week against a sad sack opponent. No need to empty the entire tool kit for the Pats to see. I think they'll be fine. Love to see them get to the next gear next week, of course, but if the Jets only win 2 out of the next 5 as the OP says is possible, its still their best season since forever. I'll take it. I get the frustration, but these are pretty good times.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Schotty bashing is brainless. Stop it. NOW.

/sarcasm

18. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

My sentiments about this topic exactly. Could be better, but when has it ever been better for the Jets?

19. Hobbes3259

This is what I kept telling myself last night.

We'll see if I was right, or just drunk..... :drunk:

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You could say the same thing in Patriots' shoe. Why would they empty all of their toolkit when they have Jets game coming up next week? It's not about 'not showing what we got' - Cheatriots know it, Jets know it, Belicheat knows it, Rex knows it. No need or reason to 'hide' it. Schotty plain sucks.