Sanchez separating himself from Henne

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Doogstein, Oct 15, 2010.

1. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

Why give up already? This was only his first season as the "named" starter in Miami, and he's still learning to adjust to some extent. I think it's way too early to be giving up on Henne. He's proven he can play, and produce at a high level at times. There's no reason to think he can't improve upon his past / current mistakes, and return a more focused player in the long run. At least that's my take...

~BK~

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Did you listen to the Omar Kelly interview? That was the most telling part of the story I've heard.

3. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Haha yeah welcome to the "Tuna left us at the alter" club. Wonder who the next poor bastards are.

4. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

No, I don't listen to Omar Kelly...

~BK~

5. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Except he didn't run out the door yelling about how bad the starting QB was when he left teh Jets. Just left us with a psychopath for a head coach.

6. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

Kansas City??...

~BK~

7. WhiteShoeWillis

I don't know much about him. Is he a Fins hater or something? It sounded like he knew people in the know when I listened to his interview on here.
    http://www.wqam.com/index.php?page=347

~WSW~

8. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

So the coaches somehow think that with Pennington at QB, we'll no longer be as conservative / predictable on offense?? I wish them the best of luck...

~BK~

9. WhiteShoeWillis

When you're being labeled more conservative than Chad Pennington it's a major problem.

10. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

People are so quick to overreact. Henne isn't finished, he's a young guy who is struggling right now, that's all. About a million young QBs have been sat down at some point or other and often it helps them when they come back in. In Miami's case they have a veteran like Pennington who can step in and maybe spark their season for a bit before handing it back over. He's not a long term threat to Henne's role there, this is why you keep a veteran backup like him or in our case Brunell. It could have happened to Sanchez last year when he was struggling worse but in our case we had no veteran we could trust so we stuck with Sanchez and put the traffic light system in.

I'm not a Henne fan, of course, just calling it as I see it. He reminds me of a young O'Brien--good, not great, will probably benefit from watching Pennington for a few games like O'Brien did with Pat Ryan way back.

11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

To me that's exactly the point. It would have been a big mistake to take Sanchez out last year, and with the benefit of hindsight we see how giving him the chance to work through his difficulties (with help from the coaches) helped him tremendously on the field, and made it clear that he was the starter for the future. The playoff success was really just a bonus on top of that. By benching Henne for a quarterback who has no chance of being the future, the Dolphins will be in the position this offseason of not knowing whether they should look to get a new QB or not, which is the worst possible position they could be in.

I also don't see Pennington just handing the reins back over. I see three possible outcomes:

(1) Pennington plays well, and the Dolphins are playoff contenders. In that case there is no way Henne gets back on the field. This would be fine if Pennington could take the Dolphins to the Super Bowl, but I don't see any way that could happen.

(2) Pennington plays poorly, and the job goes back to Henne. This isn't a disaster, but it accomplishes nothing.

(3) Pennington does okay, and then gets hurt. Henne goes back in. This could actually be the best case scenario for Miami, although it depends on whether Henne comes back refreshed and recharged, or with his confidence shot. Or would they go to Thigpen instead? Unless Pennington has taken them to the brink of the playoffs and Henne suddenly becomes a stud QB in the postseason, this also accomplishes very little.

12. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah I don't see how this move has any point whatsoever. It's glaringly obvious that the Dolphins are just another mediocre team in a very tough AFC this year.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

From what I gather, the move was made because they think Henne is too conservative a QB and they don't see that changing anytime soon. When you think Penny is the more aggressive QB, it really says a lot.

The Fins will be either drafting for a QB early next season or picking one up another way. Henne is done in Miami.

14. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

It worked out well the way it went, but that doesn't mean that's the only way. As I mentioned, a lot of guys have been benched early in their careers and come back to be successful. Coaches are about winning this week, that's all. If Rex had a veteran last year who had won for him in the past you can bet he'd have at least considered making a move.

Regarding Pennington, I don't see any way it's a long term move. The Dolphins are 4-4, they had expectations this year. Pennington can pull games out with brains and leadership alone, a point to which Henne hasn't yet reached. They have a lot better WRs now than the last time Pennington was on the field, they want to win now to stay in contention and they feel Pennington gives them a better chance this week than Henne does. People on the Internet love to get wrapped up in planning the next ten years, coaches live one week to the next. They have a lot invested in Henne and I think he'll be back sooner rather than later, but they're not going to let a season slip away if they don't have to. They're not 2-6, they're on the fringe of either being in it down the stretch or not, they have an AFC game at home where they haven't won, they're taking their best shot for this week.

15. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

For a QB that's apparently afraid to make mistakes he still managed to throw more picks than TDs this year.

#175 ace_o_spades, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  16. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

That's really impressive.:grin:

17. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

LOL good catch...

18. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Wasn't McNabb benched in Philly a few years back? Didn't he go to the NFCCG the following year?

19. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I would say the difference there is that McNabb had already shown he could be successful in the NFL. Henne hasn't shown anything besides some very sporadic flashes.

20. rex-N-effects

rex-N-effects New Member

Mcnabb has to have the record for worst treated QB ever. I mean he was bood from draft day all the time. made like 3-4 pro bowls made the NFCCG 4 times and made the SB once, never had a run game. he's had starting WRs like james thrash, freddie mitchell, hank baskett, chad lewis , charles johnson, todd pinkston. Hes only had a good Reciever for 1 yera during like a 10 yar span and that was TO. other then that he's had shot to work with. then they finally get some WRs (jackson and maclin) and then they trade him to a team with no WRs. mcnabb has never has anything at WR and yet he still produces and wins