Jets vs Lions Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by IATA, Oct 31, 2010.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm not sure why anyone is smack-talking the Lions fans. There is no way to possibly approach the level of humiliation that 0-16 must certainly have been. Your impolite jibes are like gnats passing in a strong wind.

2. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I liked the Lions since they've been so miserable the past few seasons and were a big underdog, similar to the Jets a decade ago. Sundays game will be demoralizing for you Detroit fans though. The Jets are winning by 20+ I think.

3. Jets Dan

Jets Dan New Member

Perhaps the Lions might better than 2-5. But the Jets are definitely better than 5-2. We should be undefeated. Big-gain-negating penalties cost us both the Ravens and Packers games, in my opinion.

No way the Jets should lose this game. F*** Suh. I want to see Greene and LT run the g'damn ball down the Lions collective throat. Their offensive line will get a couple of sacks, most likely. So what? Sure, Revis and company need to have a decent game, and our receivers have to catch the ball. If we see those 3 things, we'll win.

I traveled to NJ from Indiana last weekend to see that disgrace of a game vs. the Packers. I'm going to the Lions game this weekend and the Browns game next weekend. I want to see some victories or I'll cut off Rex's snack supply.

And the home of the... JETS!

4. jthom19802

jthom19802 New Member

The more I think about it, the more I think that the Jets will be playing man-free rather than man when it comes to Revis vs. CJ. I just cannot fathom any defensive coordinator in the league thinking the right thing to do is not have a second set of eyes peeking at that guy on every play.

5. 624

624 Banned

Revis is that good.

Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Vincent Jackson, Chad Ochocinco, Marques Colston, Steve Smith, Roddy White were just some notable games he shut down with 0 help while healthy.

...he doesn't care, Revis shut down all of those guys healthy and now that he's healthy again expect him to be on CJ all game with no help.

The one instance where this won't happen is if he puts Cromartie on him with help underneath...but if Revis is on C.Johnson, it'll just be him on Revis Island.

6. jthom19802

jthom19802 New Member

And believe me I appreciate how good Revis is I really do. But the bottom line which nobody in the league seems to know because he plays for the Lions is CJ is more dangerous than all those guys you listed. I know it sounds silly and biased but he really is. In his four year career (this being his 4th) I can think of only one - ONE - time another team tried to go one-on-one. He had something like 9 catches, 130 yards and a TD by halftime.

I understand that those guys are double teamed all the time. Well, CJ is triple teamed I would say 30 - 40% of the time. Hell, even in our 0 - 16 season when he was our ONLY weapon, he probably saw triple coverage 60 - 70% of the time and he still racked up 70+ catches and 1,500 yards.

Those other guys have never been their teams sole offensive weapon. The coverage CJ gets most of the time is ridiculous and as I said I just can't even imagine a scenario in which a roaming safety isn't at least keeping his eye on him behind Revis.

I mean he is coming off of a 100+ yard 3 TD game and that was with double coverage. He abused DeAngelo Hall like he had stolen his lunch money.

Like I said, I have a great respect and admiration of Revis and his ability to host "Revis Island" every week, but I guess the biased part of me is looking at it with this quizzical stare thinking, "no, they wouldn't. there's no way".

I guess we'll see!

7. 624

624 Banned

None of those guys are "close" to Calvin Johnson? Andre Johnson is better, and the other guys are definitely close to him.

The one time he had single coverage the corner was not named Darrelle Revis. I agree it's stupid to do that if you don't have Revis to cover him...

DeAngello Hall sucks.

Calvin Johnson is in my opinion the 2nd best WR in the NFL, and a great talent...but Revis is back to his 2009 form, which was the best season a cornerback has ever had.

I am confident in this because every week last year opposing fans would come on our board and say the same exact things you are saying...whether it was Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, Steve Smith, Roddy White, Marques Colston, Vincent Jackson, Terrell Owens, etc...it dind't matter. Revis made them irrelevant.

Revis may not be on him the entire game like he would be last year because of the flexibility with Cromartie, but when he is, expect no help.

#347 624, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  8. jthom19802

jthom19802 New Member

I had to re-read my post to make sure I didn't accidentally say those other guys weren't close lol. Thankfully I did not make that mistake.

Look no disrespect to them, those guys are all nightmares for DC's. Last year they took a poll; asked a bunch of CBs who the scariest guy in the league was to cover. Despite him playing for ...the Lions... Survey Said? Calvin Johnson.

Those other guys are either tall or fast or big or have great hands or something that makes them special. Calvin has them all, he really does. He's a damn freak of nature. 6'5, 2-somethin, 4.4 40, 43" vert, glue for hands. It's ridiculous. I've watched him for four years and still find myself shaking my head at some of the things he does. You'd think I'd be used to it by now.

However, I hope I am completely wrong and you are completely right. I want nothing more than to see these two go at it mano-a-mano (sp?). Hell I wish we were in the same division so we could see it twice a year!

#348 jthom19802, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  9. 624

624 Banned

That's really weird...I swear I saw you say "not even close" ....my bad hah

I know Calvin Johnson has crazy measurables, and isn't just a workout warrior...he translates it to the field..but I expect Revis to hold him in check.

I'm not saying he is going to hold him to 0 catches, Calvin will get some catches...especially in today's rules.

Just don't expect him to have the same impact you've seen the last 4 years while facing Darrelle Revis.

These are the numbers the receivers had last year while Revis was on them in man coverage, followed by Revis' numbers in the game (he was on most of them the entire game, and the others at least 90%):

Andre Johnson: 4 rec, 34 yards

Randy Moss #1: 3 rec, 21 yards (1 int, 1 pd)

Justin Gage: 3 rec, 28 yards (2 pd)

Marques Colston: 0 rec, 0 yards (2 pd)

Terrell Owens #1: 1 rec, 11 yards (3 pd)

Louis Murphy: 1 rec, 6 yards (1 int, 3 pd)

Ted Ginn #2: 0 rec, 0 yards

Mike Sims-Walker: 0 rec, 0 yards (1 pd)

Randy Moss #2: 4 rec, 29 yards, 1 TD (3 pd)

Steve Smith: 1 rec, 5 yards (2 int, 3 pd, 1 TD)

Terrell Owens #2: 3 rec, 31 yards (1 int, 5 pd)

Antonio Bryant: 2 rec, 22 yards (1 int, 4 pd)

Roddy White: 2 rec, 16 yards (3 pd)

Reggie Wayne: 3 rec, 33 yards (1 pd)

Chad Ochocinco #1: 0 rec, 0 yards

Chad Ochocinco #2: 2 rec, 28 yards (1 int)

I don't have the numbers for the SD and Indy playoff game...because he moved around to multiple receivers that game, but he was shutdown and had a pick in SD. He faces Manning 1 and a half times, Brady twice, and Brees once.

He broke the PD record that season, and only allowed 1 td in single man coverage all season, a 2 yard TD from a hall of fame QB (Brady) to a hall of fame WR (Moss)

He allowed 0 catches Week 1 against Baltimore while healthy...and is finally healthy and getting back to form....he can handle any receiver, including Calvin Johnson.

10. jthom19802

jthom19802 New Member

Definitely an impressive resume; I wish Megatron had one to compare it to in one-on-one situations, but he sees it about once a decade.

That is definitely a stat sheet that would make me more confident about the Jets putting Revis on him alone. Can. Not. Wait.

I do have a question though. Having seen the games, do you think some of those stats are from QBs just not throwing his way and trying to use other weapons? I don't mean that in a snickering way, dead serious question. I only ask because Stafford isn't scared of any CB in the league and also probably salivates at the thought of one-on-one with CJ.

11. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tByP3Q-zTUw[/YOUTUBE]

I know this is old but it never gets old to me.

As for the game I think we'll run and throw just fine and score about 27-35. I'm concerned about their pass game though. They pass more than any team in the league and our pass d hasn't been amazing tho I'm confident as we are healthy now.

Also, Megatron has never had 1500 yards so that was a lie. He's my favorite non jet in the league by a mile and a half.

#351 NYJalltheway, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  12. 624

624 Banned

Surprisingly, he was targeted a lot...part of the reason he broke the PD record.

Guys like Asomugha usually play one side of the field or cover the #2...Revis followed the #1 around all game. Also, it was only Revis' 3rd year, so QBs didn't have as much fear in him yet, so they challenged him.

The QB is so used to seeing single coverage on his #1 target that they instinctively go there, but Revis still put up those numbers while being targeted a lot because he was never out of position.

13. NYJalltheway

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNs5nlqylqY[/YOUTUBE]

I very seldomly look into other team's players but come on! This kid is so underrated. I feel he's the most talented WR in the league. Some day the stats will show it too.

PS. He burns Woodson EVERY time they play GB. I promise Revis will do better than Woodson has ever done as more proof that he was robbed last year.

14. jthom19802

jthom19802 New Member

Yes, excuse me. 1,331 yards the year they went 0 - 16. My mistake. The term "almost 1,500" gets thrown around with Detroit fans. I was certainly not trying to mislead anyone and it doesn't really change the point.

Also, I wish I knew what it felt like to be "so used to seeing single coverage on their #1 target" lol.

15. 624

624 Banned

^^ Yep, I love this catch

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXRqyjzyBRg[/YOUTUBE]

Why are the Lions wearing Gold and White in that picture? :grin:

16. 624

624 Banned

That was worded poorly, what I meant to say is that QBs are used to always throwing it to their #1 WR the rare times they are in single coverage...not that they always see it. The problem is that Revis is always in single coverage...and still shuts them down.

17. NYJalltheway

I'm undecided on this game. How we matchup makes me feel like we should win 35-10 however I have a bad feeling we might lose.

18. jthom19802

jthom19802 New Member

Really, kicked me back to 47 posts?

19. jthom19802

jthom19802 New Member

Working it out so I can post a link. Yeesh. My apologies for the three posts.

20. jthom19802

jthom19802 New Member

I was sitting at like 58.