Jets vs Lions Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by IATA, Oct 31, 2010.

1. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

How can you be .500 after 7 games? Are you giving them a tie?

It's be awesome to have a 3.5-3.5 W/L record right now.

Ties are fun.

2. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

but guys.....

Megatron is really tall

3. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

I was using your math, you were throwing out three wins. If you throw out 3 wins the Lions are 2-2.

4. DisgruntledLionFan

I didn't throw out any wins or losses. Saying they've lost 3 games by only 10 points is only meant to say they've been in those games with a chance to win each at the end. And it doesn't make sense for a 2 win team to throw out 3 wins. At least not to me, which is why I never said that. And never would.

Let's revisit though: A team that has won 5 of their last 47 should be discouraged that they're right at the cusp of winning close games? Is that what you're really rolling with as your argument based on YPA and YPC stats? Here's a hint: They weren't in 80-90% of those past games after the first Q.

And the reality is that their building confidence after each game they play. They know they're right there and they know they have to learn how to finish games. They're still another productive offseason away from doing it consistently, but they're right there.

Besides copying and pasting numbers, why should they be discouraged with their play thus far? Better yet, why did you used to think they were better than their record and now don't?

5. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

lol wut?

The offense has been vanilla all year, even in the Ravens game. Schotty and Sanchez are both on record saying that they took the offense down a notch to make it easier for Sanchez. We are not running anything complex. If you want complex, watch the Colts or Saints call audibles and shifts at the line. I don't think we even ran one play with a shift in it against Green Bay. I can only recall one play where Sanchez killed a play to go to his 2nd option. It's funny how you think that the 2 games where the offense played the worst were when the game plan was the most complex. Convenient isn't it?

Which 2 defensive games are you talking about btw? We've run the same complex defensive scheme all year. There are shifts, stunts, exotic blitzes, and pre-snap audibles. We've cut down on the all out blitzes (which isn't complex at all), and we're blitzing with 5-7 players now. Still the same exotic blitzes. It's just not as obvious anymore.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

In the Ravens game, the complexity of the "kill" playcalling aided in the shit performance of week 1. Everything was too complex for Sanchez and he went to Schotty and removed all of that bullshit. The whole offense was out of sync that game because it was reported they hated the kill calls and that had a lot to do with the false start penalties.

The Green Bay game had unbalanced lines, and the playcalling was inconsistent as well as the play. I recalled more than one shift against Green Bay. I recall Brick going in motion as well as Keller. It was stupid. Its convenient because its true.

The defense has returned to its old ways due to the health of Revis. They were able to do what they do best. I'm talking about week 1 and 8. The two games that the defense was able to go all out due to Revis. Revis may have been hurt in week 1 but the defense didn't hold back and didn't play differently. They had to play differently without Revis, and it showed.

How is this not easy to see?

7. 624

624 Banned

The offense only performs badly when Revis is healthy.

Week 1 and 8 Rex said that things weren't clicking in practice for offense. Maybe Revis is too good throughout the week of practice, causing the offense to have no rhythm?

/sarcasm

8. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Sad thing is there are people that will believe this

9. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Well there is someone actually willing to argue Sanchez played well on Sunday. I guess it isn't too much of a stretch for some retard to believe that.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I'll give him the 2nd half.

That first was frustrating.

But when your QB is struggling and your running game is top 3, you should run it more to establish rhythm. Fuck that though, the Jets like to pass from down by 3. Because, 3 and 30 are the same score. Conflicting ideologies will sink this fucking offense.

Hows this for an idea: Rex has selected an amazing group of coaches for this staff. The DC is fantastic, the position coaches are all very good. They all march to Rex's drum. But the one guy that isn't his is still the most debated coach in the organization and the one who truly does not embody his only superior on the CS. Does anyone else see what I see? Fucking being a Schotty lover or hater - is it something that everyone can notice and agree upon?

#150 NDmick, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  11. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Playing well is a stretch, but I don't think he was awful. Neither of those picks were his fault and he had 7 drops

12. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Sanchez really wasnt all that bad against the packers. The 2 picks were bullshit and if 4 of those 6 drops were catches then he would of had atleast 1 td and over 300 yards.

13. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

He was putrid in the first half and tolerable in the second.

Every QB has drops, give him 3/4 of them back and his stats are still borderline disgusting. Every metric you can use says he was Jabustus bad on Sunday. I am not extrapolating this to the season or worse his career. It was one game, if you are going to be objective, he was pretty much horseshit on Sunday.

I think saying the above is perfectly ok. Prior to the season everyone reasonable, people that know the pratfalls of a sophomore QB, knew several games like this was coming down the pike.

14. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

You were not happy that I counted up all the points in all of Detroits losses to compare to all of the Jets losses. The implication being that we should throw out all the other losses.

I'm not that impressed with their win over Washington. They were at home and seemingly depended on one of the stupider coaching moves of the year to avoid being a one win team.

I'm not claiming they should be discouraged, just that I don't see any significant strengths and some significant weaknesses on offense. What I meant was that there is nothing in the numbers that provides encouragement in the game this week. I left that out and if you were looking for the slam I guess you saw it but I didn't intend to say that they look no better than an 0-16/2-14 team. Then again after 7 games they have 2 wins and this week isn't looking any better. Fortunately for them they get to play the Gland Baron, Cowboys and Cutlerfucker again, as well as teh worst team in the NFL the week after the Jets.

Their yards per stats have been falling in comparison with the rest of the league as the season has gone on. If they were going to live up to the 6-10 - 8-8 record hype then they would be improving not regressing in how they perform week by week. Just don't depend upon the rest of the coaches pulling their all-pro QBs for you to close out games.

If they improve their play a bit, they could win 7 or 8 games this year.

15. DisgruntledLionFan

I didn't take it as a slam and wouldn't care if you did.

It was hard to comprehend what you were saying because your previous posts were extremely vague.

That's all.

16. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Exciting DL that can generate pass rush without needing blitz. Can't believe Suh is already commanding double-teams (and sometimes drawing additional help) and still producing. Suh is good enough to warrant consideration when discussing top DT in the game today. Don't think their LB play is as good though. If our OL can keep their DL in check, it'll be a good day.

Big problem for the Jets: Lions saw what worked for Pack & should be following a similar formula. Stack the box & force Sanchez & his receivers to pass a lot. Hopefully, Cotchery & Holmes will make up for last week's performances.

===
    Lions offense is lethal & hopefully, Cromartie or Revis will follow Johnson. Best is exciting & Stafford is healthy. I'm expecting Lions to gain yardage & then it'll come down to Jets D preventing the TD. Stafford hasn't seen a defense like this. Jets D is pretty confusing & will give lots of looks.

17. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Sanchez and the receivers will be fine, 1 game that's all it was.

I hope they stack the box, They don't have any great corners so he should have a field day if they dare him.

18. RedRamage

RedRamage New Member

Are you referring to the Grossman vs. McNabb thing? I will certainly concede that it was a dumb move, but hardly that the Lions depended on that move in order to win the game.

At the time Grossman was put in the Lions were leading by 6 points. 1:50 remained in the game. The 'skins had 70 yards to go with no time out against a DL that had dominated their OL and hurried the QB the entire game. The last two 'skins drives prior to this were a INT and a 3 and out. The previous two Lions drives resulted in a go-ahead TD with a 2-pt conversion on top of it to push the lead to three points. And then a drive that resulted in a FG to push the lead to 6. The 'skins had no momentum, they had no time outs, they have very little time, and an OL that was doing nothing.

I think nearly anyone would've looked at that and said there was little hope of the 'skins coming back with McNabb. Granted, I think there would've been a better chance with McNabb over Rex, but not significantly.

The Lions earned that win. It wasn't a fluke or a lucky play or a dumb coaching decision. They played better and got the win.

I don't know that I would disagree, certainly not from a Jets' fan's point of view. To clue you in a bit on the Lions thinking... two months ago no Lions fan would have thought we stood a snow balls chance in hell against a team as good as the Jets were billed to be. Now, however, the Jets seems to have come back down to earth a little bit and the Lions, especially the DL, have looked good at times.

I certainly agree that the Lions have some serious holes yet. I think our secondary is still woeful and has benefited from a DL that has limited opposing QBs time to pick 'em a part. I think our OL has serious issues, especially run blocking. Our LB aren't great, and other than CJ, there are some questions about the WR. BUT, again from a Lions fan's view we were going into this year thinking: Our OL stinks, major questions marks in the RB area. Major questions in the DL area (Will Suh be good? Is Vanden Bosch too old?) Major questions in LB, and with a stinking secondary. Our ST coverage was horrible and we had no real threat in the return game.

Lots of those questions have been answered positively and some of the areas where we previously said: "We stink" now are just below average.

19. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

Everyone is throwing grossman under the bus, but the line totally blew the protection that time and the pocket collapsed in like half a second. He didn't even have a chance

it was an embarrassing display by that o line

20. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

We definitely need to win this one. Can't afford to fall more than 1 game behind New England in the division.

That being said, I actually feel better about our team when we have less time to prepare. Our only two losses have been the season opener, and coming off the Bye week. Both times, the problem to me seems to have been over-preparation. The offense gets too complicated, coordinators try to get too fancy and outsmart themselves. Stick to our gameplan and we will win.