Two Interceptions/Pereira is a joke

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by crutchfield, Oct 31, 2010.

1. hang3xc

hang3xc Member

It's amazing how, depending how you WANT things to be, affects how you see them sometimes. I am a Pats fan, hopefully a reasonable one. I WANTED them to be picks, so I SAW them as picks, and then when they were confirmed to be picks I was happy and thought "great calls". On the other hand, someone on here thought the hit on Favre should have been penalized. Obviously I thought the non-call was correct. I thought it was a great, legal hit. I actually think he won't even be fined, even though Favre needed his chin stitched. We'll see.
    I think the biggest problem for the Jets today was all the dropped balls that were TOTALLY catchable. I mean, 1 TD w/a FG wins the game. If SOME of those drops were caught, it's hard to imagine the Jets don't score 10 pts
    GB was totally beatable today. It seemed like they were BEGGING for a beatdown. I was AMAZED the Jets didn't pull it off. Thankfully, for me (sorry), they didn't & the Pats played their most complete game of the year (IMHO) and are improving almost every week.(IMHO) Pats regain 1st place, not only in the division, but in the league. Who woulda thunk ?
    You guys DO have a good team and ARE capable of winning out (except for the payback you'll surely get when you face the Pats in round 2) Even though the Pats clawed their way to the top, they can be toppled. You have to admit though, the Pats are doing quite well considering it's a total rebuild year with rookies everywhere and 2nd year players almost everywhere else

2. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

This. Watch the Jets start doing this and the entire fucking league. Pathetic. Only when every tom, dick and harry starts doing it will they change the rule.

3. Oasis

Oasis Member

This relates in a very small way but would just like to say it. This reminds me of that Mangini era loss against the Browns, where Chad threw the ball to Keller in the end zone with under a minute left, and Keller caught it mid air about 2 yards in bounds, but was pushed out of bounds before coming down, and it was ruled an incompletion. The refs REFUSED to look at the play in the booth because it was an "un-reviewable" call. Boy did we get fucked that game, Mangini even called a timeout to let the refs think about it some more.

But just to relate what i was saying- if the 2 plays that happened today were "un-reviewable" as some of you say, it is definitely questionable that the refs would allow Rex to throw the flag there. But what would have made more sense, is if the refs did check the replay, then, seeing that the play was really un-reviewable, promptly gave Rex his challenge and timeout back.

4. n420p69

n420p69 Member

The first one was a terrible call. Cotchery was clearly down. I couldn't really tell on the second pick but Cotchery one was bullshit.

5. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

That was Baker

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I don't recall ever seeing an INT like that before and to see two blown calls like that in one game was insane BUT we didn't lose b/c of those bad calls. We lost b/c our CS allows a P to fake punt 4th and 18 from the shadow of our GL, b/c we challenged that first fumble, b/c we are in love w/ the stupid wildcat and asinine trcik plays, b/c we have no clue how to use our TOs, b/c our WRs can't catch,...

7. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

This! That pass made absolutely no sense. As bad a call as that was, Sanchez deserved a pick on that first one

The second one was even more clear that the receiver was down

But GB just played faster, stronger and harder than us ... period

8. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

how can the refs reasonably call those completions interceptions

ive watched the replays on both at least 25 times each since last night and there both CLEARLY completions with the reciever down by contact

last i checked stripping a ball from a player on the ground after having been touched means the play is dead

the nfl will never do this but this ref crew should be fired or suspended without pay for a long time

we still played like shit but if the refs get those right maybe sanchez makes a play

9. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I really want a answer on this, I've been tweeting everyone with no success.

Those calls are total BS, after the Pittsburgh/Miami game, and now this maybe they are on the take.

Was this the same crew?

10. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

no.....................

11. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

You can make an argument that the Cotchery play was debatable.

The keller play was 100% straight up ridiculous. The official had to be a complete jackass not to see that keller was laying on the tuf holding the ball in both hands. I'd love to know what he THOUGHT he just saw ... other than the receiver clearly catching the pass and going to the ground.

12. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Keller was a catch, Cotch was dual possession, when it went to the ground the offense gets the ball.

In both cases they thought the play was dead, I can't wait to watch the Lions game I'm sure all caught passes will be walked over to the ref by the receiver. lol

13. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I understand what your saying but for the record I didn't think the Favre hit was dirty. I thought it was a good clean hit on a QB... but again I wanted to see Favre eventually get his clock cleaned but I still think it was a good play.

14. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Both Albert and Johnston were completely baffled by the calls. Moose said it best when he said a tie goes to the offense. How the fuck these guys even thought either one of them the defensive player clearly had possession of the ball is completely assanine. At worst they were both ties but the IMO the Keller play was even worse then the Cotch play.

15. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Whether you hate him or not Pereira was obviously an official, thinks like an official, talks like one. He should know the rulebook inside and out. Why people are hating on him is beyond me. He knows the answer to the review before the ref does. I think it's a pretty cool feature to have instead of looking at the replay over and over from a fan's point of view. It's cool to have someone who was an official give you their viewpoint on it.

That's the stupidity of the NFL rulebook. We all should know by now, that there are certain rules in place that certain types of referee calls cannot be overturned for any reason whatsoever. It's complete nonsense. If something is wrong it should be able to be challenge. We only give two challenges per game for a reason.

#55 LeonNYJ, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  16. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Yeah, that was total bs. I really don't pay much attention to bad calls, but those were terrible calls. On top of that, you can't review dual possession? Even though Cotch clearly caught the ball and then when he was down, the defender grabbed it out? I understand those are the rules, but thats a rule that can and should be changed without much trouble.

Im just upset at why they called it an int in the first place. BOTH the picks came when the Jets had some momentum in their offense, but it killed it. Im not going to put a lot of blame on the Jets offense. They did look but, but were good enough to win the game. One of the pick resulted in 3 pts. It changes the game where Jets would attempt a 52 yard FG with 4:12 left in the game while down 3, instead of trying to get a TD while down 6 and turning the ball over on downs. It made a huge difference even if we didn't score on those picks we gave up. The first pick resulted in a missed FG.

Jets offense looked much better than Green Bay offense. Jets D looked better than Green Bay D. Sometimes the scoreline doesn't represent that and you'll get a game or two like that every year. Maybe the bye week put a little rust on us. Im not overly concerned with our O. I think we can get back to rhythm. Lions won't be easy, but their D isn't helping them much. We can control their offense.

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I would really like to hear some more opinions from non-Jets fans on those INT's. Like I said I still do not understand how they were INT's, but of course I didn't want them to be.

18. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Exactly. IMO neither should have been INTs, but the one w/Cotchery was even less debatable since it was clearly dual possession and that goes to the receiver. Cotchery had the ball up against his body when he hit the ground before it was ripped away.

19. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

the jets receivers are supposed to hang on to footballs and not allow the ball to ripped out of their hands. if they are too sissified to hang on to the dang ball, then they deserve to get abused like they did. they sucked. obviously opponents know that the jets don't hang onto the ball and that defenses should try to rip every ball away from them. good job by the packers D in preparing to take advantage of the jets receivers playing like pussies.

#59 AbdulSalam, Nov 1, 2010
  20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

they were only interceptions because the refs made awful calls, and the replay rules do not allow for those calls to be reviewable. Pereira explained the rule before the first challenge even came back. he never defended the call on the field, he simply explained how replay applies to the situation so there was no fault to him in this instant so I don't see how the OP can call him an idiot in this regard. once the ref made the ridiculous call it was stuck, that is why it is strange the refs allowed Rex to challenge the first and cost him a review. as per Pereira by rule the play isn't able to be overtuned, so how could it be reviewable to start with.

the problem is with the replay rule in these situations. beyond the fact that the refs were just fucking idiots to not see both players had the ball when they were on the ground, thus it is a reception not an interception, and the defender only ended up with the ball after he tore it away after they were on the ground. they were both egregious calls that should warrant punishment by the league if they do such to the officials. there is no excuse to make that mistake, nevertheless twice.

#60 JetBlue, Nov 1, 2010