Better QB as a Jet Ken O'Brien vs. Chad Pennington

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Oct 22, 2010.

?

Who had a better career as a Jets QB?

1. Ken O'Brien

115 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Chad Pennington

129 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Pennington completed maybe one pass thrown over forty yards in his whole career. A comparable video of Pennington wouldn'd have been over seven minutes. It would have been seven seconds.

2. Big Blocker

Good ole Chad, still dividing the fanbase.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Is there a more misinformed poster than big blockhead?

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Nope.

I will respond to his crap later.

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Jeez. I just read that bullshit a second time. It is as if he was partly responding to what I actually wrote and partly responding to what others wrote.

#225 Cakes, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  6. jaybny

jaybny Banned

bump for O'brien

7. Big Blocker

LMAO!!!!

Cakes and junc together. That's a real mensa meeting, isn't it?

junc seems to take it personally that I have him on ignore.

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

You'll be dealt with in due time.

You couldn't even read my post properly. You confused me with other people.

9. Big Blocker

No I didn't. Here is my previous post with the quote from yours:

Originally Posted by Cakes
    O'Brien was good for less than 2 seasons. He was otherwise thoroughly mediocre.
    Also, he was responsible for many of the sacks. He was a statue in the pocket, was too scared of throwing an interception, and did not like to throw the ball out of bounds because it would hurt his passer rating.

My response:

Your position is ridiculous and not borne out by the facts. "mediocre" - nobody said either of these guys should be in the Hall. All Kenny has to be is better than Chad.

And how many of those sacks was he responsible for? You dispute he had a worse OL? Crap. There is no doubt about it. He also had less running support.

Plus you make these stuid arguments in service of Chad? Chad had no arm and was as fragile as any Qb I can remember. China Dollington. Doesn't it count to be able to play the game? Counting on Chad to lead this team with his history of injury led directly to having Brooks Bollinger as the Qb. How'd that work out?

To be a productive player, you have to be on the field to get it done. How about this stat? From the fifth game of the 02 season through the end of 07, Pennington missed 23 regular season starts out of 76 games. That was 23 games the Jets could not use their first string Qb as the starter due to his fragility. Nearly one of three games missed. Over a far longer seven year period for O'Brien, out of a total of 112 games, O'Brien started all but 14, or more like one in eight.

This is a game played by tough people, and not just mentally tough. You have to be on the field to contribute. And you're suggesting China Dollington contributed more than Kenny O.

No way.

How did I misunderstand your post?

I didn't.

10. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I didn't compare the offensive lines.

I wrote that O'Brien was thoroughly mediocre outside of 1985 and the first half of 1986 because it is the truth. I made that comment in response to the multitude of people who suggested O'Brien was great and that if he was with the Dolphins he would have won at least one Super Bowl. :rofl:

Read my post again.
    I made zero comments about Pennington in that post. You somehow decided that I did make comments about him. My post was all about O'Brien. Again, I was merely responding to the over-the-top love for O'Brien from multiple people.

If you continue to derisively refer to me as a Mensa member and respond in an immature fashion, then this will not end well. If you are here to talk football in a mature manner, then I'm game for that.

11. Big Blocker

oh, so now you are against derisive references. Like the one you quoted from junc? "Blockhead" "uninformed" "crap". You are a hypocrite. And yes, this will not end well. For you. Watch as I demonstrate.

You said that O'Brien was responsible for "many" of his sacks. You didn't say how many. I referred to the quality of the line, and did not quote you but ASKED you whether you dispute that he had a mediocre OL. Most here acknowledge that very same OL was a major factor in the number of sacks O'Brien gave up. It would seem obvious that an assessment of relative responsibility for the sack total has to involve an assessment of the quality of his OL.

You were making these statements in a thread that was comparing O'Brien to Pennington. Calling O'Brien mediocre led me to appropriately note that this was not a comparison to someone who would clearly not be mediocre, as compared to Pennington. It's called context. The context in which you made your earlier post was one defaming O'Brien where the subject of the thread is a comparison of O'Brien to Pennington.

I obviously understood you said nothing specific about Pennington in that earlier post. I never said otherwise. I was asking why you thought the points you made were sufficient to establish, in the CONTEXT OF THIS THREAD, that O'Brien was not as good a Qb as Pennington.

And that is why I raised the points I did.

I am sorry for you if this kind of reasoning is alien to you. But that is what this kind of discussion involves. My post to you was entirely appropriate, and ftr you have yet to address the substantive points I made.

12. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

There were multi-sack games were O'Brien was responsible for every sack. There were multi-sack games were O'Brien was victim of his OL. Considering how many years ago Ken played there's no way anyone can throw out an exact number for how many sacks he's responsible for. It's all estimates, guestimates, approximations.

Unless you've got a good offense, sacks tend to be drive killers. Ken sitting on the ball & going down for the sack instead of throwing incompletion isn't something to easily throw away when judging him.

Ken played longer ... at the same time he'd dive one yard short of the first down marker on 4th downs. He played longer but would lay out Toon by constantly leading him into defensive backs. O'Brien didn't play behind the Gibb's hogs but his OL sack stats were much worst because O'Brien just wouldn't throw the ball away.

Chad's biggest problems were the injuries & the arm strength. If you're looking for a qb to hold the position down for a few seasons then Ken is the man. If it's a big game against a D with serious pass rush, I'll take Pennington.

#232 ajax, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

You start it and I will go the same route.
    I was talking football and then you opted to go the asshole route. It's all there. You can look it up. You could not talk football. You had to be a jerk off.

I will address the rest later. Might not be back online till after 9pm.

14. Big Blocker

You are a hypocrite. Your first reference to me on this thread was to approvingly quote junc's derisive reference to me, and called my posts crap. That was BEFORE my mensa comment.

Get your facts together, and your calling me an asshole is a personal attack. I hope the mods treat that accordingly.

15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He agreed w/ my quote b/c your posts are completely asinine. I'm not even sure you watched Jet games in those days, viewing your responses I don't think you did watch the Jets in the 80s.

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

First of all, I do not care what the moderators might do with this.

Secondly, how 'bout you get your facts straight? You started the bullshit. You attacked me, called my position ridiculous, and replied to stuff that I never actually wrote. You also made wild assumptions.

17. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

Better QB -O'brien
    Better Jet career - Pennington

I do think had Pennington not restroyed his shoulder he would have had a much better career. That '02 season was magical

18. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

O'Brien was better then Pennington. He had a much stronger arm, was just as accurate and threw td's. In 1985-1986, the Jets went 22-11. O'Brien was a Pro Bowl calibar QB. He had games going over 400 yards, had numerous games head to head with Marino that were epics, outplaying Marino in many of them.

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The poll should have been close and it has indeed turned out to be close. Neither QB was head and shoulders better than the other.
    Both had major flaws, both peaked early, and both were ultimately disappointing.

As for the people who think O'Brien would have won multiple Super Bowls with the Dolphins, I wonder if they think Pennington would have won Super Bowls with the Patriots or Colts or Buccaneers.

20. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Without a doubt, watching the Jets since late '82, Rick Mirer is the worst QB to ever wear the uniform in my lifetime. Brooks Bollinger and Bubby Brister were freakin' Joe Montana and Johnny Unitas compared to Mirer.