Better QB as a Jet Ken O'Brien vs. Chad Pennington

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Oct 22, 2010.

?

Who had a better career as a Jets QB?

1. Ken O'Brien

115 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Chad Pennington

129 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. davecrazy

davecrazy Active Member

Kenny O.

Then again I'm old enough to remember the Meadowlands with the blue walls and the Red NJESA logo midfield.

2. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

I'm amazed on how popular O'Brien is with Jets fans. Guess as time passes, we remember the positives without the negatives. O'Brien was a decent qb. You can win with with him as your qb if you are just loaded on the offense or have a dominant defense.

Holds the ball probably even longer than Roethlisberger but lacks the scramble ability, pocket presence & big play on the run. Lots of his sacks, he had plenty of time to throw the ball out of bounds but chose not to.

Does nobody remember O'Brien ducking out of bounds on 4th down right in front of 1st down marker to avoid getting hit? He'd also lay out his receivers to get destroyed by defensive backs. So many of Toon's big hits were a result of O'Brien leading him right into defensive backs.

#202 ajax, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Ryan got the start when O'Brien got injured. Half the team got hurt that year.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

O'Brien did ruin his throwing shoulder that year but he kept playing through it during that 5 game losing streak and was benched for the playoffs. We won vs. KC and were winning by Ryan against Cle and blew a 10 pt lead w/ Kenny.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Your position is ridiculous and not borne out by the facts. "mediocre" - nobody said either of these guys should be in the Hall. All Kenny has to be is better than Chad.

And how many of those sacks was he responsible for? You dispute he had a worse OL? Crap. There is no doubt about it. He also had less running support.

Plus you make these stuid arguments in service of Chad? Chad had no arm and was as fragile as any Qb I can remember. China Dollington. Doesn't it count to be able to play the game? Counting on Chad to lead this team with his history of injury led directly to having Brooks Bollinger as the Qb. How'd that work out?

To be a productive player, you have to be on the field to get it done. How about this stat? From the fifth game of the 02 season through the end of 07, Pennington missed 23 regular season starts out of 76 games. That was 23 games the Jets could not use their first string Qb as the starter due to his fragility. Nearly one of three games missed. Over a far longer seven year period for O'Brien, out of a total of 112 games, O'Brien started all but 14, or more like one in eight.

This is a game played by tough people, and not just mentally tough. You have to be on the field to contribute. And you're suggesting China Dollington contributed more than Kenny O.

No way.

#205 Big Blocker, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The question is not whether Kenny was better than Johnny Unitas. We are talking about Chad Brokenarmington.

7. sg3

sg3 Banned

not true

he was benched for playing like crap for 5 games more than for an injury. Ryan at least led the team to a playoff win

8. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

That sucked. And we wore the road jerseys for about five years too, seemed like we were always the road team.

9. James Hasty

The Jets lost the entire sack exchange to injury. Klecko, Gastineau, and Lyons all got hurt. Lance Mehl got hurt too.

The Jets went from having the best defense in the league to the worst defense in the league very quickly. Teams were able to run and pass against us at will.

Instead of a balanced offensive attack we were forced to throw the ball to keep up. Look at the sacks and turnovers in those last five games. O'Brien got beaten to a pulp in those five games trying to do what he could to keep us in them.

We beat Kansas city because our defense got healthy.

10. nyjunc

OK so then how did we lose to Cleveland? if our D was healthy against KC miracrulously how were they not healthy a week later and how did we go from the lead w/ Ryan to losing w/ O'Brien?

11. Coach K

Coach K New Member

Tom Tupa gets my vote

12. James Hasty

We lost to Cleveland because they were a very good team and they beat us in a very very close game.

Not only was Gastineau playing against the Browns but a lot of Jets fans blame him for the loss. Are you comparing a wild card win against KC to the double overtime loss against the Browns? The same Browns team that would have gone to the Superbowl if John Elway doesn't lead Denver to an overtime filed goal victory that doesn't happen without a 4th quarter comeback drive so legendary that it is known as "The Drive". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Drive Is that the Cleveland team that you are comparing KC to?

Also, how in the hell do you determine who the better quarterback is by how each performed in a different half of a game? Hell, Browning Nagle lit up the Falcons for almost 400 yards in his first game as a starter and that was a whole game. I guess he is better than both of those guys then. What a joke.

13. nyjunc

The AFC stunk back then, the team that beat Cleveland AT Cleveland would get crushed in the SB. There wasn't much difference btw Cle, KC, den, NYJ. KC split w/ Denver crushing them 37-10 in December, they lost to Cle early in the yea 20-7.

You are comparing what Browning Nagle did in week 1 against a bad team to a playoff game on the road?

The offense wasn't having problems scoring w/ Ryan at QB, O'Brien had a possession late in the game to seal it then had a million possessions in overitme to lead us to a FG but I'm not sure he even led us to a 1st down in either of the OTs.

14. Italian Seafood

Watching that OT was like watching my dog trying to make it across a tile floor.

15. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

We had 1 first down in 3 OT possessions. Awful....

16. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

17. nyjunc

I cannot see the video but I cannot imagine he has ever thrown a pass prettier than the Chad to Moss bomb in the playoffs at SD in January of 2005.

18. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Watch the video. It's on youtube. Type in Ken O'brien, it's like 7 minutes long.

19. Italian Seafood

This was posted about five pages ago, at least. A football game is more than edited clips of long passes compiled over a ten year career.

20. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

This league is till obsessed with big arms. That's why Jeff George stayed around so long. But give me a quaterback who is accurate on the short throws, hits his receivers IN STRIDE consistently on those short and medium throws, makes good quick decisions and I will build a team around him that will win a championship.

Give me a healthy Chad this year or last year and we have a superbowl win.