Better QB as a Jet Ken O'Brien vs. Chad Pennington

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Oct 22, 2010.

?

Who had a better career as a Jets QB?

1. Ken O'Brien

115 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Chad Pennington

129 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Still not over. They had a long way to go down 10 w/ not much time left after the hit so obviously that game wasn't over.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Again, playoff won lost record is a team stat. We both agree the Qb is the leader, but that does not change that it is a team stat of limited utility in comparing two different players on different teams to divine the relative value of them.

"I don't remember any QB hanging a 42-10 beating on a 12-3 opponent with the division title on the line and a 41-0 beating in a playoff game six days later."

Yeah, I don't remember that, either. The Jets beat the Packers six days before beating Indy in the playoffs in 02, but that score was 42-17, GB was already in the playoffs and GB even pulled Favre for Pederson. It's the two losses to Oakland that year that make me less of a Chad fan than you are. Especially the second one set the template for those teams who had the personnel and the CS to see how to beat him.

But there's another comparison between them, that is concededly more intangible, and that's that it was more fun to watch O'Brien. He got the ball down the field, instead of picking at the other team like a scab on your arm. It also always bothered me about Chad that if the Jets were down in the last twenty minutes by two or more scores, the game was over. He could not run the two minute drill with any consistency, because he could not threaten deep or throw the out pass.

I understand your points, but I am comfortable that O'Brien was the better qb.

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

We can argue all night, but I'll just point out Green Bay was playing for a bye, which is in essence a playoff game. More, actually, because a win and they were home in the second round, a loss and they had to win a playoff game (which they didn't) to go on the road in the second round. They pulled Favre when it became apparent that they were not only not coming back but they were also now going to have a playoff game in six days and there was no point in leaving Favre in the game.

4. Italian Seafood

Watching that clip refreshes the memory. While Gastineau's penalty certainly helped them out, a lot happened after it even on that drive. There was almost 4:00 left, they still had to go almost the length of the field, converted a 3rd and 10, then got the ball back, scored again and played another quarter and a half. Hard to put all on that one play.

5. Jet In Brooklyn

Jet In Brooklyn New Member

You know you've made a good poll when it's split 94-94 right down the middle.

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

That just means there is 94 morons.

7. Jet In Brooklyn

Jet In Brooklyn New Member

There is morons? I love irony. :smile:

8. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Thank you! I loved watching that video. It brought back many great memories and some sad ones too. But OB was a far better QB then Chadwick the great. Look at how effortlessly he threw the ball 40 yards with the flick of a wrist. give that guy an OL he would have won a SB for sure. marino couldn't! I wish marino played with as poor of a team as OB had to contend wiith and OB had a team like the Blowfish of that era. I am confident OB would show as the better QB by far.

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

fixed your post because we all know it all comes down to arm strength

10. Uzone27

Uzone27 New Member

For many many years the Jets as a team boasted the fastest Wideouts in the NFL.

All our boy Kenny had to do was hit 'em.
    Kenny had a better arm and world class speed recievers.....

Chad Pennington was the better QB.

11. Al Dorow

Al Dorow Banned

Oh, get off Gastineau's ass about that late hit in 1986! GET OVER IT! Gastineau did us MUCH more good than harm over his career....and he was one of the best personalities and most fun to watch on a weekly basis than just about any other Jet in history! VIVA GASTINEAU! I STILL miss watching him!

12. Italian Seafood

Same here. A lot of people made a bigger deal out of that play because Gastineau was a much-hated player. There was a lot of football after that, to hear it now you'd think that was the deciding factor. We were up 10 and they were around their 20 yard line with 4:00 left.

13. Al Dorow

Al Dorow Banned

Jet fans have short memories. Gastineau was loved by MANY in the early 80's. There were a bunch of Gastineau fan clubs. Jet fans took pride in this entertaining sack machine. Seeing how so many fans have turned against him due to nothing but word of mouth makes me sick. These Gastineau haters are full of shit. Most of them never saw him play.

14. jaybny

jaybny Banned

"O'Bbrien back to pass... going for it all... Touchdown Jets!" Al Toon! tooooooooooooon

15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

When looking back it's easy to say one play cost us but they still would have had 2 downs to get a 1st down and they moved the ball at will those last 2 drives that I think the odds are pretty good we see the same result. As much as it pains me to say it I think O'Brien cost us that game as our O did nothing(outside of that Freeman run) w/ O'Brien under center.

Jet fans still like him but did somewhat turn against him b/c a)he quit on us in 1988 and b)we have heard all the stories from his teammate how selfish he was and how he much he cost them b/c all he wanted to do was get sacks.

16. Italian Seafood

Gastineau also had to come out for a bit after that play and that's when Kosar started rallying the Browns. By the time he got back in the game Cleveland had moved down the field and were about to score.

It wasn't just O'Brien's fault either, but it goes to the point of how good was he? That was a situation where not even a great but a clutch QB can at least get you in FG range, sieze the moment in the playoffs and save your season. O'Brien never really stepped up and saved the team, that's what I've been saying. For all the bitching about Chad not doing so, he managed to make enough plays at San Diego in a similar spot with a torn rotator cuff and at least got us lined up for two chances to beat Pittsburgh the following week. He wasn't great in those games, not like 2002 when he was healthy, but he battled and got us a win and then a chance to win if we could make a kick. I don't care about his arm strength, his arm was falling off and he got it done with guts and brains.

He was his own worst enemy. In Jets history he's easily a top-5 all-time defensive player. You've got Klecko, probably now Revis, I'd assume a guy or two from the 1968 era and Gastineau. Nobody had his physical tools and ability, he could play in today's game and dominate. He's not a Hall of Famer because of himself and his own priorities during his playing days, which he now seems to realize. I have no gripe with him, he was as fun to watch as any Jet I can remember.

17. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

It happens, however rarely.

18. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

The only reason I brought it up is that junc tried to pin that loss on Ken O'Brien which was grossly unfair.

19. Italian Seafood

That Don Maynard vs Stevie Anderson one you made was doomed from the start.

20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I made a couple edits to your post.

Klecko and Gastineau should both be in the HOF. The Jets had a lot of tough breaks when they did get to the playoffs which didn't happen offen enough before Parcells came here. For three decades 70s, 80s, and 90s not Jet with the exception of Riggins was drafted by this team and made the HOF. If the Jets got any respect 4 or 5 players from this era including Klecko and Gastineau would be in the HOF. I am sure you guys can think of a few other guys that at least deserve some consideration.