Better RB as a Jet: Freeman McNeil vs. Curtis Martin?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Oct 25, 2010.

?

Who had a better career as a Jets RB?

1. Curtis Martin

114 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. Freeman McNeil

19 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. grayburn

grayburn Member

CMart, hands down. McNeil was explosive, but CMart is a fucking hero.

2. grayburn

grayburn Member

Yeah, that surprised me too with how amazingly awesome he was.

3. biggundewayne63

biggundewayne63 Active Member

i voted freeman mcneil cause someone hit my brother's car and took off and ole man freeman chased the guy down. HE'S STILL GOT IT!

4. Jetcentric28

Jetcentric28 New Member

Freeman was more dynamic, Curtis was more dependable.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

294 carries isn't alot for a career high. He didn't have the wear and tear on his body that Curtis had

Can we please stop saying the 80s Jets had poor OLs?( Those OLs were just fine, a RB is not averaging over 4 YPC for his career w/ a good OL. B/c the QB took sacks he shouldn't have doesn't mean our OLs were not good.

It boils down to this. Freeman was the more talented back but he couldn't stay healthy so this isn't really even a discussion. Curtis was far and away the more productive player btw the 2.

6. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I don't know where people are getting that. The O-line of the early 80s used to push the other team back three or four yards right off the snap, Marvin Powell was in the Pro Bowl just about every year and Joe Fields was a great center. As I mentioned earlier, Chris Ward was a great run blocker although he held a lot in pass protection.

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

80-86 our line was stout. 87-90 not so much.

Fields and Powell were drafted in the 1970s. Powell was a Buccaneer in 1986 and Fields was a Giant in 1988.

This team got very old on OL and DL at the same time. After the strike the team regressed badly.

8. Gator

Gator Active Member

Gotta throw in the Denver game in Jan 99 into the mix where Curtis had 1 yard.

9. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Regarding the wear and tear, I might buy that argument if it weren't for Martin Having several of his near 294 carry years he was actually younger than Freeman with less wear and tear on his body that Freeman had through injuries and producing at a lower level, even taking into account Martin's Patriot years...moot point.

Curtis was the more reliable performer by far and away, the more productive player? Despite 750 more carries and 72 more receptionsthan Freeman Curtis only outgained Freeman by 1,400 yards from scrimage. To put that into perspective Freeman had 4 seasons of 1300 or more yards from scrimage, despite only having 1 season where he rushed more than 230 times.

10. nyjunc

He had a bad game, he fumbled too but watch the tape and show me one hole all game. Our OL was dominated in the ground game.

11. nyjunc

It's not just overall wear and tear but in each season. As seasons progress gus get banged up and become less effective. Freeman never even had a 300+ carry season.

Freeman had just two 1,000 yd seasons in the NFL. A 1,000 yd season is an average year for a decent back.

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

this. McNeil was better for a highlight reel while Curtis was a workhorse that carried a team.

13. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Durability isn't part of the discussion, it's been conceded from my first posting. As far as only having 2 1,000 yard seasons, he was splitting time with Hector for much of that time, about a 2 to 1 ratio where as Martin was the sole back pretty much being used....that's a coaching issue and does add to your wear and tear argument. You also forget that 1982 was a strike year, Freeman led the league in rushing that year, albeit with only 786 yards.

But again, I'm including Martins early years as well as his later, even under lighter loads at times he never reached McNeils numbers. Martins second and third seasons he carried 316 and 274 times respectively...for 3.6 and 4.2 yards per carry...You can claim injury drove those numbers down, but as already addressed Freeman suffered a number of injuries and those also have a culmative effect as wear and tear...I know he suffered several foot and leg injuries early on in his career, including his rookie season....so wear and tear is off the table, atleast for the first 3-4 seasons of each players perspective career.

Again, the better back talent wise, McNeil, hands down...the RB that produced and was more reliable over their jets career...Martin, but not by as much as people make it out to be.

Watch Video of McNeil rushing, then compare it to watching Martin's running. I've been around and watched them all from the days of Boozer and Snell through to today's Greene and LT....and by far so far McNeil was the most exciting back the Jets have ever had.

14. nyjunc

He was only splitting w/ hector b/c he was always hurt. If he wasn't he would have been getting many more carries and would have had many 1,000 yd seasons.

Talent wise I agree w/ you but if that talent isn't on the field what is it good for? If we were drafting the players based on talent Freeman would go higher but this is about production and the 2 aren't close production wise.

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

He gained 14 yards on the ground, but we get your point.

Based on how the Jets were blocking in the run game that day and based upon the play of the Denver front seven, I don't think Jim Brown would have had a good game that afternoon.

16. Jets Dan

Jets Dan New Member

Curtis, of course. I loved watching Freeman run, and he was a great Jet and a great player. But Martin was a better RB.

17. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I think people here are over glorifying Curtis - I love Curtis as much as the next guy so I am not putting him down but it is not exactly like he put the team on his back and won us a Superbowl. His teams as a Jet made it to the AFC championship game the same amount of times as Freeman's teams.

This is way closer than many people are acknowledging. (I think alot by the younger fans) My vote goes to my favorite Jet of all time Freeman McNeil based off his productivity (YPC, YPR) and being one of the most exciting Jets to watch of all time (along with Walker).

18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I loved What Curtis did for us----he was "a warrior" this said Freeman IS MY FAVORITE Jet of all time!!! The guy was also a class act----much like Curtis never ever selfish it was always about the team. I will never forget him shredding the Bengals in that playoff game--he was awesome!
    PS he was a great post game reporter also---he told it like it was after the games,,unlike Greg Buttle who is a SHILL and says anything the Jets pay him to say

19. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

The biggest weakness in the 98 Jets was their run-blocking. That was a passing offense with a pass-blocking offensive line. Also, Curtis Martin was banged up all season long. Combine all of this with the fact that Denver had a seriously dominant run-stuffing defensive line, and you get 14 rushing yards for Curtis Martin

20. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

At what point did Freeman lead the Jets to a Super Bowl victory? I was a Freeman fan myself, but Martin was the better player.