Why our defense isn't a Top 5 D (atm)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree that while our D has played well overall it's not lights out as it was last year (atm). To me this comes down to three major factors.

1) We aren't bringing enough pressure on opposing Offenses. When we rush a limited amount of guys that is...

This to me has to do with:

1a. Not 100% OLB corp.
    Pace just got back and he is our main rusher, Taylor is very good but old and banged up (which means he can't go 100% all the plays anymore), Thomas is a good all-round OLB but pressure isn't his expertise (rightly so) and Westerman is hurt.
    I see this getting better with Pace and Taylor having time to heal in the bye week.

1b. DL needs to step up (pressure-wise).
    We run a DE-NT-DT base package and while we have competent DEs (Ellis&Pryce) (although old so same problem as Taylor, can't go 100% all the time) our NT & DT are very good in stopping the run but at least one of them should get a bit more penetration. With Jenkins it was him, with Pouha and DeVito one of the two needs to step up pressure-wise (although they're playing well overall).
    Mind you, I'm not talking sacks, just pressure.

2) Miscommunication in the secondary

Nothing we can do about it... some new guys who have never played in this system. They have the talent and the head so they should get their shit together in time (I'll start worrying if we're still committing some of the mistakes we make in the playoffs, not before).
    Also Pool has to adjust to his new role on D (what Rex wants from his FS)... while he's made some good plays I don't think he's there yet... I think he will get there but in more time than I initially though.

3) Revis not 100%

Yes, he changes the defense this much. When he's 100% we can send the house on 3&long... without him at full speed (and the miscommunications) it's proving to be a mistake.

Thoughts? I'm also not seeing Scott and Harris getting to the QB as much as last year... they are very competent in the run game but I don't think Scott is playing lights out this year (as of now of course). But maybe that's more of a scheme thing... dont know...

That's also a very good point. We run a system almost identical to what the Ravens ran under Rex. What the league didn't know was how it would work with our personnel... now they do so they have a full picture of what's coming.

#1 Mambo9, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  2. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

Although the defense is not playing very well their allowed PPG is only 2 pts higher than last seasons. Last year they allowed 14.9 and this year they are allowing 16.8. That's not bad for a team that's not eve close to playing at their potential. I'd still say they are a top 5 defense.

3. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

My theory is that the league has seen all the tape and adjusted to the Rex Ryan defense. They know what's coming and have adapted their offense. The question now is can Rex counter and keep the league on their toes. We'll see how good of coach he can be if he can get the defense back to being as effective as 2009

4. rex-N-effects

rex-N-effects New Member

to comment on you 1b trevor pryce has been getting alot of pressure when he is in there and you didn't mention his name at all

5. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

That's also a very good point. We run a system almost identical to what the Ravens ran under Rex. What the league didn't know was how it would work with our personnel... now they do so they have a full picture of what's coming.

6. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Yea but your kind of stating the obvious here. Our secondary has been subpar but showed flashes of its talent on sunday. After the bye I expect our D to really step it up. Remember our pass defense did not really kick it into high gear until the last 6 weeks or so last year.

7. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I said the DEs... I mean Ellis and Pryce...

8. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

The objective is not to be a top 5 defense in october. The objective is to improve every week and win your games. The Jets are doing that. They need to keep winning, nobody gives a shit who the top 5 defense is. In addition the entire thing is misleading since the Jets have played against some of the best teams in the league while other clubs have cupcake schedules.

9. rdc2000

rdc2000 New Member

They need to get more pressure on the QB. You can see the blitzes getting picked up better and better, often as the game goes on. Rex has done a good job of mixing coverages, but for the future, we need guys who can get to the qb better...

10. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

But surely teams had a chance to work it out last season after about 8 games? I just dont see the difference in them needing a whole season to see how it worked.

I think they are more than wise to the overload Blitz so we need to Disguise that better or get more pressure from elsewhere. Also when we blitz they are getting more chance to pass quicker as we are not blanketing their receivers to much.

With the overload they just seem to have to look out for it and then the Qb can just roll out the opposite way to get a pass off.

11. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Maybe, or maybe it took teams a while to figure it out. Either way the league these days is all about making adjustments and you have to keep up. I'm pretty sure Rex is going to spend these two weeks pouring through film to make improvements.

12. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

I think the problems with the pass defense were definitely more attributed to the new guys not being fully accustomed to the scheme. After each of the first three games or so of the season you'd hear either a coach or a player say there were communication breakdowns. The last game I can remember the players mention this was after the Miami game and the pass D has generally looked a lot better since then. They had a lull at the end of the first half against Buffalo and Favre got hot in the second half last week but overall it seems like the players are just executing the scheme better. It also helps that Wilson has had his role diminished.

It's been a slow process but it feels like the defense is on a upswing right now.

13. milo

milo Well-Known Member

+1

Overload combined with shut down coverage is just about unstoppable.

Overload with average coverage is beatable, especially by the better QB's in the league.

The secondary should get better, and when it does third down should get better. First and second look great, but the "money down" hasn't been money thus far.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think the Jets are (5-1). :up:

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I think Ryan has gotten a little meek in his blitzing. You keep hearing about it but you don't see it nearly as much as last year. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with Revis and how much with the other CBs but it just doesn't seem the same. Course that could just be me but it seems opposing QBs have all day to throw just about every time they want to.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Seriously though, the defense is fine. It will only get better. Its very hard to win in the NFL with just defense and no offense anymore. The balance this year is great. The Jets are an overall better team, but still have a great defense. I agree people have more tape and have adjusted better, but like Rex said about Revis on Hard Knocks: "Were pretty f#c%ing good!"

17. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Abdul Salam dropping knowledge YET AGAIN.

Can we make this guy a mod or something, one of the few level headed fans this site has.

18. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

No one is disputing that... I love the way the team is playing.

But I think you should always aiming at getting better and I wanted to discuss what needs to happen/ needs to be done to take another step forward.

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...is this really a thread?

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Another step forward? This team is in first place.

The Broncos' passing game has been lighting it up all season long.

Kyle Orton was averaging something like 346 yards per game before he played the Jets.

Our defense held them to 209 passing yards. He also only had 14 completions. ...and this is with our offense turning the ball over three times.

There's absolutely no reason for this thread. Our defense played a damn good game with the situations they were put in.

We're sixth in the league in total defense. SIXTH...and you're bitching about not being in the top five?