Sanchez separating himself from Henne

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Doogstein, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Doogstein

Doogstein Member

The quarterback duel we imagined hasn't materialized.

The hottest topic on the AFC East blog throughout the offseason was the debate about Mark Sanchez and Chad Henne, a pair of franchise quarterback hopefuls entering their second seasons as starters. They possessed substantial upside for their fans to get behind, yet plenty of imperfections at which their detractors could jab.

Sanchez started as a rookie and helped his team reach the AFC Championship Game despite his regular-season recklessness.

Henne, after a year as Chad Pennington's understudy, was more polished. Although the Dolphins didn't reach the playoffs, they were 2-0 against the Jets.

Then each team escalated the conversation by providing its young quarterback with more resources.

The Jets traded for receiver Santonio Holmes and signed free-agent running back LaDainian Tomlinson because he could catch out of the backfield.

Henne's loaded arm was handicapped by his lack of a big target last year. The Dolphins corrected that by trading for Brandon Marshall.

All Dolphins and Jets fans needed was the opening whistle so they could start comparing the box scores on a weekly basis from now until 2018.

Or so many of us thought.

The competition has been decidedly one-sided so far.

Sanchez hasn't been nearly as careless as last year and has been generating MVP talk with the Jets bolting to a 4-1 start.

In South Florida, meanwhile, there's a growing sentiment the Dolphins should give the job back to Pennington. Henne hasn't been unleashed with Marshall running routes for him. In fact, the more Henne passes, the more trouble the Dolphins appear to be in.

They are 2-2. Henne threw one touchdown and averaged a modest 148 yards in the Dolphins' two victories. He threw four touchdowns and four interceptions while averaging 334 yards in their two defeats.

What has been the big difference?

We can't eliminate circumstance totally, but we can in many ways.

Sanchez and Henne have faced similar schedules. The Jets have played one extra game because they haven't reached their bye week, while the Dolphins are coming out of theirs. But they have faced three common opponents and, of course, one another.

A comparison of supporting casts isn't too heavily weighted in Sanchez's favor.

While the Jets have the better collection of receivers, Marshall is the best from either team and has been on the field since the season began. Holmes missed the first four games while serving a suspension. The Jets' next-best receiver, Braylon Edwards, missed the first quarter against the Dolphins in Week 3, yet Sanchez played superbly without him.

The Dolphins and Jets appear to match up well in the backfield. Although the Jets are having a much better season on the ground with Tomlinson and Shonn Greene, the Dolphins' running backs are one of the NFL's most threatening combos in Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams.

New York might have a slight edge on the offensive line, but Miami tackles Jake Long and Vernon Carey are among the best bookends in the game.

Tight end is the only position where the Dolphins haven't measured up. Dustin Keller has emerged as an elite weapon and leads all tight ends with five touchdown catches. Dolphins tight end Anthony Fasano, while respectable, can't produce like Keller has.

But is one player enough to make Sanchez come across like a star and put Henne on the hot seat?

To me, the disparity so far comes down to a couple factors:

* Sanchez is better.

* The Jets know who they are.

A lot of teams passed on Henne in the 2008 draft. The Dolphins selected him late in the second round. The Jets traded up to take Sanchez fifth overall. Their pedigrees might be baring themselves.

Sanchez is slick on the run. He stops linebackers in their tracks with play-action. Henne looks robotic and rarely strays from the pocket. ESPN Stats & Information lists only eight passes for Henne outside the pocket (four completions for 18 yards and one interception) compared to 21 for Sanchez (11 completions for 108 yards).

Sanchez even has better long-ball numbers. On passes that travel at least 21 yards in the air, Sanchez has connected on four of 17 throws for 135 yards and two touchdowns, and Henne -- in one fewer game -- has completed two of six attempts for 86 yards.

But Henne isn't being helped by the Dolphins' inability to render an identity on offense. They seem caught between the run-dominant offense that overpowered opponents the past two years and a team that knows it can throw after investing two second-round draft picks and a mammoth contract extension in Marshall. The constant tinkering on the interior offensive line has been a problem, too.

Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has the Jets in a rhythm. They got off to a rocky start on opening night, but since then the offense has been clicking undeniably.

Sanchez is a big reason for that. Through five weeks, he appears to be the real deal.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/20074/sanchez-separating-himself-from-henne

Maybe the best article I've read so far. Just makes me sooo happy knowing that this article right here will make Fin fans absolutely miserable.

2. GA Jets

GA Jets New Member

Ha ha, things are getting so bad that Bill P. is starting to packing his bags. I guess he will end up in Buffalo next!

3. Uzone27

Uzone27 New Member

Great article man.

Pennington is arguably one of the smartest QB's in the league and has been there for Henne from the get go.

Sanchez had no such help last year and his miserable stats belied his more than serviceable start, in much the same way that a couple good shellackings can ruin a pitchers ERA but not tell the true tale as to how well they pitched otherwise.

That said I still think to start the season they still had Sanchez on a bit of a leash as it was his penchant for getting picked trying to force the ball to Edwards deep that got him into so much trouble last year.

Slowly but surely though I see the coahing staff giving that leash more and more slack.
    They threw more than they ran in the rain last week which shows me they are feeling pretty good about the kid.

I think when they finally unleash this guy he is going to be lights out....maybe even top 5 in the league....he's learning that fast.

4. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Sanchez separating himself from Henne

I didn't know Sanchez was dating Henne.

5. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

All I said last year was that, Sanchez had ALOT to improve. Henne couldn't really improve much from the way he plays.

The results are showing, if anything Henne can only get worse. Sanchez has a lot to improve on and hes already way ahead of Henne.

6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Also it seems the role of leading a Super Bowl Contending team is way to big for and he snaps under the pressure. Sanchez on the other hand rises under pressure. (Playoff games, Division Games his stats are improved I think)

7. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Can't stand Tim Graham but it's nice to see Sanchez get some recognition

8. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

The only thing Sanchez needs to fix is his percentage... 55.1 is good for 5th worst in the league in front of Cassel, Gradkowski, Anderson and Clausen...

Henne has actually thrown for more yds than Sanchez(in a game less) with a 64% which isn't bad... only thing hurting him is his TD to INT ratio...

9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Let's be honest....With each week, the closest comparison for Sanchez is Joe Mo.

(Smart,Studious,Not a big arm,but enough, accurate,comes up big in big spots)

Henne????

JAG.

10. Hobbes3259

And who comes up small in big spots, compared to the inverse...?

He's not throwing high percentage passes...(why I hate Schotty...thats another thread)...

Braylon is averaging close to 20 YPC....

11. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I know I know... i just thought it was a stat to keep in mind... every QB should eye the 60% completion mark... I'm very happy with Sanchez :)

12. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I don't worry about Sanchez's yards. Its hard to pass for a lot when you have the best run game in the NFL...

If we had no run game, i'm sure Sanchez would be passing for 300+ yards every week.

13. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

LOL a Joe Montana comparison?

sheesh

14. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

All he's saying is that his current trajectory is similar to that of Montana's in his early years (moreso in terms of tangibles than statistical performance).

15. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

well yeah Sanchez is outplaying Henne right now, but it's not like Henne is playing that badly.

I'm confident in Henne.

16. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

And all I'm saying is there are many former QBs who have these "tangibles". Shit the Jets had one not long ago in Chad Pennington that was being called a young Joe Montana. (I'm seeing a trend here)

What separated Montana was the super bowl wins

17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Henne will be a good QB

18. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Your team's front office isn't as sure as you are...

19. Hobbes3259

Sanchez IS Pennington. With an Arm.

Don't judge.....watch.

20. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

I don't get why people are criticizing Henne for being "robotic". A lot of QBs don't leave the pocket that much.