Sanchez's Development

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TeamJets2K6, Oct 12, 2010.

1. TeamJets2K6

TeamJets2K6 New Member

We are all aware that Sanchez is the only QB with a significant number of pass attempts without an interception.

Something that stood out to me about his play last night was his ability to give his WR's (Edwards in particular) an opportunity to make a play. Two plays come to mind. On our first drive Edwards almost jumped over his defender in an attempt to make a catch. The other play was when Edwards defender had good coverage on him but had his back turned. Sanchez hit Edwards in the hands with the ball, but I think Edwards was surprised by the pass and dropped the ball. I think I noticed Edwards give Sanchez a nice pass nod on his way to the sidelines. Unfortunately both of these passes went incomplete but IMO definitely represents Sanchez's development.

Anyone else notice this last night and have examples of the same or the opposite?

2. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

His last pass of the night (I believe): Sanchez scrambles backwards avoiding the rush, then darts a high ball along the sideline to Braylon Edwards. Edwards has a chance to make a great catch for an important first down, and nobody else has a chance to make a play on the ball.

Sanchez seems like he's on the border of putting up some big yardage totals going forward, assuming he doesn't see too many more torrential downpours. I don't think you can understate the effect the rain had on the entire passing game, throwing the ball, seeing the ball, and catching the ball. No excuses though, Edwards, Holmes and Cotchery all dropped catchable balls. They need to challenge each other to be more consistent.

3. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Sanchez was awful last night. Why would you pick today to start such a thread? HIs development has been great. And hes much further along than most at this point in his career. But again, he sucked asshole last night

4. Forum7200

Forum7200 Member

I thought it was quite impressive of Sanchez to avoid the sack and find space to throw the ball. If that ball is a little lower thats a huge play for Braylon and Sanchez

5. Forum7200

Forum7200 Member

Development also happens on days when your terrible, Last year when he had a game like this it would have included a few picks. So hence it helps piont out his development.

6. twown

twown Well-Known Member

He still has strides to make in terms of pocket awareness. He often has room to step up away from danger and doesn't realize it. When that improves, and it will, the game will slow down even more for him.

7. 624

624 Banned

He wasn't good, but I wouldn't go as far to say "awful"

He didn't turn the ball over, made some key 3rd down plays, and won the game.

He also had some drive stalling drops and was playing in pouring rain.

8. TeamJets2K6

TeamJets2K6 New Member

thanks for reading the post...any comment remotely related to the topic would be greatly appreciated.:beer:

9. TeamJets2K6

TeamJets2K6 New Member

Wasnt at the bar anymore to see the play......but it sounds like what Ive noticed....like another respondent mentioned...he may be on the brink of a huge game....

10. jonnyd

it is related to the post. You asked for opposite examples. No need for me to site examples but there was plenty of "opposite" play to the plays you spoke of

11. jonnyd

youre prolly right

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

nice job Tanny

Measure what the kid's done thus far: Cincy/SD/INDY playoff performance as a 'rook' ..... bouncing back from the national media killing him vs. the Ravens this year...

VERSUS the day the Jets drafted him on the heels of a limited starting career at USC...while considering him having to handle the respective Braylon/Santonio additions to his WR corp.

The Jets could've done worse.

Well played kid. Some of us TGG know-nuthin's got yer back.

#12 joe, Oct 12, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  13. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

If that was this years version of awful I'll take it. Remember how bad last years version of awful was?

A lot of dropped balls made him look worse than he actually was, but I do agree he was off. This was the first time all season I remember seeing him throw those high balls we saw him throw a lot last year. Hopefully he doesn't do that in Denver.

14. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Drives me crazy when the WRs drop Sanchez's passes. Gotta guild the guy's confidence and those stupid drops are killer.

Sanchez did not have a great game last night. But, for the most part, he always put the ball where only the receiver could get it which is important. He has to be more careful with the passes over the middle though.

At least he isn't rushing the ball and not sliding this year.

15. GA Jets

GA Jets New Member

To add to it, it really didn't help that his receivers could not make a big catch for him, not to mention 4 dropped passes. When your receivers don't make catches it stops drives which eliminates the chances of scoring TD's. I still believe that it was Gercon's drop in the super bowl that made the Colts offense go cold, they were moving the ball until that point of the game. NO later iced the game with the on-sides kick to start the second half. Sanchez's stats were hurt by his WR's. He did not play an awful game, for the most part, especially in the first half, he put the ball where it needed to be, he pressed a bit in the second half, probably due to frustration. That game should have been a blow out if a few catches were made.

16. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Awful? What constitutes an "awful" game by a QB?

Sanchez didn't turn over the ball and had an almost 50% completion percentage in a game where he had about 7-8 drops, few in the endzone. How was Sanchez awful? He played a great in conditions that did not favor the passing game. Look at Favre. He stunk when it was raining while Sanchez was throwing nice passes. When the weather got better, so did Favre, while Sanchez still played a very good game. U can't just look at his stats and say he had a 48% completion rate, >200 yards, and no score. Its very misleading. Lets face it, Sanchez has played better than most of us expected. No one on this board expected Sanchez to go pickless when he threw second most ints in the league last year behind only Cutler.

Seriously, those of you bashing Sanchez need to get a clue.

17. The Sanchise

The Sanchise Active Member

for being here since 2005 and being funny, you know dick about football.

Weather conditions, hostile defense. Zero turnovers. Win.

Perfect no. Was he good?

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This is proof of his development.last year we would have said he managed the game and didn't lose it for us.Now he sucked last nite

19. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

And people ask why Koz calls you Joanny...

I'm not gonna bash - I see you're changing your opinion and probably realize "awful" was a bit too strong...

20. jonnyd

ok awful was strong.WSW said what I should have said. Awful for this year. Wayyyy better than awful from last year. Were there drops? yes? Were there terrible passes? Yes. Were there a few balls that should have been picked? Absolutely! 5 scoring drives stalling in the red zone? I have to blame my QB for alot of that....My original point was to question the OP's timing of the thread....I GUESS you can pinpoint two fucking plays that he might have fucked up worse last year but I hardly think that warrants a "hey, he's really progressing" thread. Did he progress last night from weeks 2,3 and 4? Nope.