Good McNight, Joe

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Lantern, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I don't see how those are assumptions.

*If Conner was available in the 5th round, then he had to be there in the 4th when we drafted McKnight. Not an assumption.

*The concept that you can trade down from the 4th to the 5th round and still get the guy is self explanatory. Not an assumption.

*Leon's two KO returns are longer, ie bigger, plays than any we've had this year. Not an assumption.

*Anyone who watched the preseason saw guys like Chauncey Washington and Danny Woodhead, not to mention the actual RBs on the team, all be more productive than McKnight. Not an assumption.

About the only thing I'm saying that could be called an assumption is that Leon isn't yet 100%, which is no less an assumption than you guys saying he is 100% and will never be better than he is right now--which is still good enough to take two KO returns to the house.

2. 624

624 Banned

I think we should continue arguing in this thread by simply quoting previous posts.

Just to save us from having to type.

3. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

He returned 2 KO's thats great for leon. So did Ted Ginn jr. but that doesnt mean we should all complain that we dont have him on our team. Brad Smith is great at returning at kicks so who cares. Your not going to have the best everything at every position and we didnt have the money to keep leon nor did we know he would be even able to play as well as he used too.

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no, bigger does not just mean length of the play. bigger also means how meaningful it is to the game in the short term and the season in the long term in which the victory contributes to, hence why defensive plays on 4th and short are generally considered big plays although they don't go for long yardage.

the only one making this a semantical issue is you since you are using a term that has multiple meanings when it is up to you to make sure to eliminate the confusion in your posts if communication is going to take place.

great, Leon has longer plays from scrimmage than any Jet this season. fortunately, winning isn't dependent on making long plays, simply scoring, whether it occurs because of 9 play 90 yard drives or 90 yard plays, so long plays are irrelevant.

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

And seeing time, White Chocolate is averaging 14 YPC and a TD.

6. Hobbes3259

Braylons two scoring catches in the last two games were bigger than Leons plays.

Helping put away 2 divisional opponents..can't fault Braylon that we were a tad further upfield.

7. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

You could even say a 9 play 90 yard drive is better then 1 play for 90 yards because it keeps your defense off the field. :)

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I see a big circle.

9. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

When discussing the concept of a player who can create a big play (not my term), we're talking about "big" in terms of yardage and impact on the game. Leon's two plays totalled roughly 200 yards and made the difference in his team winning the game. That's about as big as a big play can get in the context of a game, which is what the discussion was. There's nothing one player can do about how big the game itself is over the long haul, especially in Week 2 where it's all speculative.

#669 Italian Seafood, Oct 4, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  10. 624

624 Banned

Leon Washington sees a bigger circle.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Joe McKnight's circle is .5 bigger than Leon's. That makes Joe McKnight a better player.

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

wait a minute, first you disputed my position by saying big play was in regards to simply the length of the play, and now you are saying it is in regards to the context of the game as far as the difference between winning and losing, which was how I was using it and you disputed. which is it? because if it is the latter, a 65 yard catch and run TD for a team considered a Super Bowl contender that gave them the lead after blowing a big lead and turning the game back in their favor is certainly a bigger play than a meaningless win for what will probably be a non-playoff team.

13. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

In what universe would Leon have been one of our best players? He's not gettign carries over LT or Greene. Sure he can return kicks, but thats all he would add to the team. He's currently averaging 2.5 yards a carry for the hawks. Not exactly one of thier best players, let alone one of ours.

14. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

But he made those plays for a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TEAM.

15. ........

........ Trolls

If junc and IS had their way, Favre never would have been brought in, Pennington never would have left, meaning a playoff appearance in 2008 and the salvation of Mangini's job. We'd be looking at a team today with Eric Mangini and Chad Pennington instead of Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez. Mangini wouldn't have been there to trade Braylon Edwards to us, and his hatred for personnel with off field troubles would mean no Santonio Holmes or Antonio Cromartie either. That system that transformed Darrelle Revis into the best corner in the game? It would still be in Baltimore, or would be getting some play in another city. Faneca and Jones would be here for their veteran presences, and LT, Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard...hell, all of the guys who wanted to play for Rex, would never be Jets.

I think that pretty much says it all when it comes to taking their opinions seriously on the team's personnel decisions, and with that, I'm going to step aside, say that I loved Leon as a Jet, but I recognize how necessary it was to let him go so this team could move forward. Just like we've consistently done under Tanny.

So, I'll stop this circular argument, and get back to talking about Joe. Enjoy reliving your personal glory days, boys, in which perpetual playoff appearances every other year and quick exits were oh so awesome.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

So Same Old Jets?

It would have never died.

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I gotta say this. JmK sure looked fast as hell hitting the hole and he did not fumble. Give the kid a break and let him at least get a rookie-season pass before he's bbq'd in Jetland. I'm not so sure he's in the Gholston class of developmental personnel just yet.

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Since leon won Seattle a game against a better team it's hard to say his two KR Tds were not big plays especially since the 2nd one was the difference in the game making it 27-20 after SD had come all the way back from a 17 pt deficit to tie the game.

19. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

20. Hobbes3259

By extension, and using your logic...Woodhead is the best of the three.