Impact of Holmes' return

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

We all already know what a Jets D will look like with Pace and Revis likely coming back next week, but what will a Jets O with Holmes look like? We know Holmes is a total baller and despite not having good chemistry with Sanchez yet, he is certainly scary to opposing defenses. I can't see defenses being able to hold 3 amazing receivers plus LT and Keller down. Braylon Edwards has proved he really has the ability to be a #1 WR in the NFL, so we pretty much have two #1 WRs playing. Cotchery is no chump either, an amazing #2 guy. Keller and LT are also extremely dangerous receivers. With Holmes return, it can only take the attention off the rest of the WRs, LT, and Keller. I think this will open up so many more options for Sanchez and improve the passing game immensely.

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I don't know how much chemistry Sanchez and Holmes have since they really haven't practiced much beyond a few snaps in Training Camp. That being said, Holmes should draw the double team, which will leave Braylon and Keller open. Should open up our running game too against the Vikings.

Damn. There are just way too many positives in this.

3. Saiyan316

Saiyan316 New Member

i am just worried about sanchez being to anxious about getting the ball to holmes... like forcing a pass and having it picked off. like what happend with LT in the Giants preseason game..

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

That's why you shouldn't be worried.

5. ........

........ Trolls

LOL at people trying to find ways to be worried about Santonio's return.

6. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

I agree with this. I don't think we will fully see the impact of Holmes right away. Sanchez is going to have to learn when the right time is to use all his weapons. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns into Sanchez's first INT of the year. But the potential for this offense? Could be unstoppable...

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They're going to rotate that receiving corps a lot. I'm guessing they come out with Holmes and Cotchery and Edwards hits the field before the first series is done. The only thing I'm pretty sure about is that they'll go 3-wide more often and Cotchery will probably be in the slot when they do that. I think we're going to see a bit more of the wildcat also because they're going to want to keep Brad Smith in the gameplan and he's going to lose plays at WR now.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

The impact of adding Homes ?

By halftime Monday Night someone will start a Sanchez-Edwards-Holmes > Montana-Rice-Taylor thread :rofl:

Seriously though...No team has enough to defend the field if Sanchez starts taking 3-5 step drops and letting it fly.

9. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Is anyone else worried about Cotcherys future on this team?

He is under used already.

10. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

He has to start returning punts right away to get him some touches.

11. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm a little worried. Cotchery is something of a forgotten man at the moment, but I'd expect one of Holmes and Edwards to leave the team after this season.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of chemistry between Sanchez and Cotchery.

12. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

If Holmes or Edwards leaves next year, no way they would get rid of Cotchery.

13. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

all i'm worried about is how other teams will cover us? Then how will they stop the run?

14. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Seriously. We're worried about adding a Super Bowl MVP to what is already a top offense in the NFL?

Nope. Not at all.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say I expect him to have a bigger role in the offense as the season progresses. Keep in mind, we now have two receivers that can legitimately call for double-teams. We also have a very good pass-catching tight end that warrants attention. Not to mention a legit pass-catching threat coming out of the backfield.

Cotchery is going to be open quite a bit.

15. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Heh, yesterday Keller was getting a few double teams too.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

At the moment the Jets have more good options than they know what to do with. There are very few teams in NFL history that have been in that position in a given season. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy watching the show.

17. Deathstroke

Deathstroke Active Member

Holmes' return is going to be incredible but the only problem would be is the chemistry between him and Sanchez

18. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

I can't wait, and its on MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL!

19. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

First of all, Cotchery is the type of guy who will accept not making any catches as long as he is opening the field up to other receivers and the team is winning.

Secondly, he is signed until 2012.

Third, he is clutch and is going no where.

And hopefully Holmes/Edwards see the type of team the Jets are and are willing to take modest contracts to continue to play. Especially considering that with all these offensive weapons, the team will he hard to stop and could be a perennial playoff team.

I know I am hoping for that...

20. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Sanchez doesn't have time to worry about chemistry with Holmes.

He's already dealing with chemistry problems with Braylon, his over-the-hill running back, and his sophmore slump :rofl2: