Good McNight, Joe

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Lantern, Sep 2, 2010.

1. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I don't think it's that black and white. I don't really feel like discussing how they would have done if we swapped them so i'm gonna move on. The point is that 3 games into a rookie season is too early to declare anything about anyone. Right now Leon would be the better option but he wouldn't have a spot on this offense. LT does everything Leon can do plus a bunch more. He wouldn't be getting third down reps and he certainly wouldn't be getting the ball in-between the tackles. McKnight was a move for the future and as long as he develops by the time the Jets need him everything is fine.

2. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

why not allow the guy to gain experience. I truly believe that REX and Mr.T might know a bit more about McKnight then you. They made the decision to keep Joe and let Chauncey and Danny go. Do you feel that you know more about personnel issues then they do?

3. Kentucky Jet

Leon also fumbled quite a bit and looked like a sure cut. The Jets gave him time to develop and he did. McKnight will too. he is superbly talented and immature. Guess what? he will mature and be a good player. Then will all his haters retract thier wild-eyed claims?

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Anybody else notice McKnight sort of following Sanchez around on the sidelines?

5. Kentucky Jet

but you aren't the HC or GM. Rex and Mr.T are the guys who know a bit more about talent then all of us put together! It was their decision and theyBOTH came down on the side of McKnight.

6. 624

624 Banned

If had Leon instead, Mark would be giving him piggy-back rides on the sideline.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

did rookie Leon get touches the first three games of his rookie season?

8. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

EDIT: NVM found it

9. 624

624 Banned

He was inactive.

10. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

With the way passing games are these days, I don't know that I'd want to dress five running backs. I'd rather dress an extra defensive back in lieu of a 5th RB.
    I think the Jets took their chances that both Greene and Tomlinson would not get sidelined in the same game. If they both did get hurt, then the Jets would have to give Richardson or Connor some carries. Could one of them do okay getting some carries in a pinch? I believe so.

11. rex-N-effects

rex-N-effects New Member

leon didn't get anything until we lost 2 RBs if i remember. I believe kevin barlow and derrick blaylock went down and then cedric houston stepped us as the 1 and Washington was the 2

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

He had 8 rushes for 25 yards and 2 receptions for 52 yards over his first three games. It was in his 5th game where he ran for over 100 yards. That came in that 0-41 game in Jacksonville. That was rare, very rare. There have only been a couple other times where a team had a 100-yard runner and scored 0 points.

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Houston didn't really do anything until December. I actually started him in a fantasy football playoff game on my way to a title.

14. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

I hope you're right. Sometimes even the brightest minds need to change the light-bulb from time to time. In the spirit of our "win now" campaign though - I would have felt more confident in Woodhead or Washington stepping up in the event of an emergency.
    In a worst case scenario, we will now have to explore trades and look at free agents.

Playing the safe hand that he doesn't need to play this season - I have no choice but to wish him the best as a long-term development project with potential, considering there is no one behind him on the depth chart.

But all of this is moot. Assuming the "win now" campaign is a healthy success.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Just thought of this, could help someone.

Here's what the Jets might be thinking, and it makes sense:

There are dozens of Woodheads, Washingtons, etc.

McKnight is the only one who has the skill set to actually grow into a dynamic player. That's why you keep him.

See how I did that?

16. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

rookie leon would be getting touches on THIS team? youre out of your fucking mind! there are no touches to be had in the backfield on this team ... leon would be inactive, just like mcknight is

17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Rookie Leon would have turned water into wine by now. Fucking McKnight.

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

But you are, right? you know all he has shown? This is what we know about McKnight:

-threw up at rookie mini camp
    -failed conditioning test to begin TC
    -showed nothing as a RB in preseason
    -looked completely disinterested in Hard knocks.

I get that HK is edited but he shouldn't have that surly attitude while being given instructions when he has done nothing in this league.

McKnight was a move for NOW, he was supposed to replace Leon immediately. Of course it's too early to throw him away, he has chances to fulfill his promise but all that we have seen out of him has been disturbing. It amazes me how once we let someone go we trash him and we can defend anyone on our team no matter how little they have done. if mcKnight was a Patriot you guys would be trashing him saying how he has no shot but he's a Jet and he is bound for greatness.

At no point did leon look like a sure cut, we were getting positive reviews from leon all throughout camp. Sure he had typical struggles at times adjusting to this level but he was showing he belonged- McKnight has not shown that YET.

Yes.

3 PR- 3 more than Joe
    1 KR- 1 more than Joe
    8 carries- 8 more than Joe
    2 recs - 2 more than Joe

We know Tony can run w/ the football although he's had very limited carries as a Jet, Connor hasn't had that chance yet but hopefully he could too in a pinch. We'd be in big trouble if Greene or LT got hurt though.

Barlow did not msis time until late in the year.

Losing Woodhead doesn't bother me, yeah he scored a TD on a nice run but he showed us very little when we elevated him into leon's role last year after leon was hurt. Washington showed me something, I'm more disappointed in losing him.

If we didn't trade Leon and use a 4th rd pick on McKnight he'd be on the PS or cut.

yeah, he was only a key contributor helping us win 10 games and make the playoffs as a rookie but he wouldn't have had any chance to contribute for us now.:rolleyes:

19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Junc - how could you possibly know that McKnight was drafted to replace Leon now? Did Tanny shoot you a message on facebook to let you know? As for those minimal carries Leon got in his first 3 games, that was on a team with much less talent ahead of him.

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Are we really going to play dumb? We know he was drafted to take leon's role. Let's not be silly here. if we are going to use that logic then none of us know anything and shouldn't comment on anything since we are not in meetings w/ rex and tannenbaum.