Mike Tannenbaum says Braylon not starting because of when he was arrested

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Fred Mertz, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Active Member

Not because he was arrested.

MIAMI -- Embattled wide receiver Braylon Edwards won't start for the New York Jets Sunday night against the Miami Dolphins, but not because of his drunken-driving arrest.
    It's because of when he was arrested, according to Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum.
    "We felt he didn't deserve to start based on the fact that ... not for the arrest as much as going out and being out until 5 in the morning," Tannenbaum said Sunday morning as a guest of Ian O'Connor on 1050 ESPN Radio.

Tannenbaum's comment could add more fuel to the firestorm that has developed in the aftermath of Edwards' Tuesday-morning arrest on the West Side of Manhattan. The Jets have been widely criticized for not taking a harsher stance with Edwards, whose blood-alcohol level registered .16 -- twice the legal limit.

In terms of the hour of arrest, Edwards didn't have a curfew. In fact, the Jets didn't have practice Tuesday -- it was a mandatory day off for the players.

There will be no last-minute deactivation or benching, according to Tannenbaum, who reiterated what the organization announced last Tuesday night: Edwards will dress and will play. When and how much will be finalized in a pregame meeting between Tannenbaum, coach Rex Ryan and owner Woody Johnson.

Tannenbaum confirmed that wide receiver Patrick Turner, elevated from the practice squad, will be on the active 45-man roster for the game. The Jets will dress five receivers  Edwards, Turner, Jerricho Cotchery, Brad Smith and David Clowney. They want to limit Smith's receiver reps because of his involvement in the wildcat package and special teams, one of the main reasons why they promoted Turner.

"[Edwards] will play at some point," Tannenbaum said.

Explaining the decision not to deactivate Edwards as punishment, Tannenbaum cited precedent, claiming no team over the last two seasons unilaterally benched or deactivated a player after a drunken-driving arrest.

"It's a pending legal matter," Tannenbaum said. "When that case is adjudicated, he'll be held to a standard established by the CBA. Clearly, that's how other teams have handled it over the past couple of years."

If convicted, Edwards faces a maximum fine of $50,000. Because of a previous violation of the league's personal-conduct policy, he also could be suspended.

Tannenbaum said he doesn't expect Edwards to be distracted in the game.

"If we go by the way he practiced, I expect him to play exceptionally well," Tannenbaum said. "He's a pro. Obviously, it has been a difficult week for him and the organization, but he's our guy. We're going to support him and help him."

2. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

He's gonna get ripped for saying that.

3. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

Who cares as long as we win

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I don't give a shit what people say about the Jets (or Jets fans for that matter) but he is probably gonna get criticized for using those words exactly.

5. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

How can that be a problem when there was no curfew and no practice the next day?

UGH!! The Jets should stop addressing the situation. They seem to be making it worse for themselves every time they address it.

6. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

I agree but winning makes it go away faster

7. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Mistake. What's the excuse for Ferguson and Gholston???? I thought Tanny was smarter than that. The Jets need a better PR person.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

do you think it's possible that my thread about the last 2 years worth of DUI's got to tanny? I'm sure they could have known that or discovered that themselves ... I wonder though.

9. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

He should! I notice Gholston and D'Brick are starting and they were in the car with him at 5am

10. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

Didn't Randy Moss hit a cop with his car on purpose once?

Glass houses blah blah blah

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

for serious? if he got pulled over sober and didn't get a ticket at 5am there would be no discussion. Obvioiusly the arrest coupled with the hour is the problem here. The other two didn't get frikin arrested.

12. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Tanny that makes no sense. Jets need new PR like Mets need new doctors.

13. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

OK, sure. Who the fuck does Tanny think he is kidding with this one?

14. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Who cares what they say at this point? Whether the Jets cured cancer or were going around putting babies on spikes we would hear nothing but negative bullshit from the media anyway.

15. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Tannenbaum is a lawyer so i would imagine he was interested in finding out the precedent no matter what.

16. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Whateverz Cleverz.

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Francesser will get an instant boner when he sees that quote from Tannenbaum. He'll be able to do several hours on that quote this week.

18. Enigmah

Enigmah Active Member

Tanny is supposed to be smarter than this. STOP TALKING ABOUT THE SITUATION! You have already said what you needed to say. The only thing left on the table at this moment is to finally see how much Braylon will play tonight, which is something that will be answered come game time. Again, STOP talking about this. Every time you keep opening your mouth to unnecessarily address this situation over and over, you only increase the chances of you slipping up and saying something stupid as he just did.

I'm really disappointed in Mike T. The guy is so much smarter than this. He should fucking know better. All he had to say was, the organization has already said what it needed to say in regards to Braylon...we will let the legal stuff sort itself out down the road, but right now, we are focused on Miami and trying to win this division. End of story.

19. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

He goes on radio shows all the time. Sometimes they ask him questions about things that are going on with the team.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets seem to have no managerial acumen at all in terms of dealing with their players at this point. They mismanaged the Pete Kendall thing badly. They couldn't get Kerry Rhodes under control. They had Favre blow in and out of town, with no real success produced in the process. They drafted a young QB onto a veteran team built to win now and have had mixed success in developing him because of the all the pressures. They allowed Revis to disrupt the team all year and into camp and now the early season. Now they appear to be unable to manage Edwards, who has been a very uneven asset for them, good at times and blowing his foot off with a shotgun at others.

I have to say that if the Jets haven't made progress by the end of the year I think it's time to find a more stable management team to move forward with.