Rex Ryan mandates changes to Jets offense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FinNasty, Sep 14, 2010.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I actually know how:

You have to find a team you're totally neutral on.

Then surround yourself with their fans, but they have to be awesome people and knowledgeable about that team and the NFL.

Then watch games with them and talk about that team.

Forget the Jets exist except when the Jets play them, and root against the Jets.

Give this a few years to sink in, and you'll be a fan of that new team.

I know 3 people who have done this. Guess which team they liked before the jumped ship? Hint: it was the same team they left

2. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

As mentioned by MICK earlier, dialing back is nothing color coded, it's getting rid of all the stupid motions, and trying to be cute BS.

Snap the fucker smash the guy trying to hit Mark and give him time to do his thing. They have him over thinking and second guessing himself, he has to make split second decisions, which we all know he can do.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sports is too tribal. I flirted with watching other teams during the Kotite years just to see if I could and I always wound up back on the Jets by the end of the first quarter and sleeping through the 4th quarter on the couch because the Jets were so boring to watch.

It would make much more sense for most people to say "I really like watching smashmouth football" and go root for the Steelers or "I really like a wide-open passing game" and go watch the Colts or "I like gay ass teal uniforms" and follow the fish. But we're just not like that. We're way too tribal to switch off the teams we rooted for as kids unless we happen to make a major move somewhere and even then mostly we still root for our tribe.

Seinfeld was right: we root for laundry.

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah but if you're a huge fan of an NFL team you like football enough that you can still enjoy the rest of the season even if your team sucks balls.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Well, those I know who switched were around the age of 15 at the time, but they are much more primal (stupid) than tribal.

They like being told what to do and who to root for.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

05 was a good NFL year, and the Jets went 4-12.

07 ended awesome when the Pats loss.

7. Toon is God

Toon is God Active Member

Run fewer plays but run them better. A Ravens defense isn't going to be confused with all the motion. Jets will be fine.

8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I think that Schotty is holding Sanchez back. He needs to let the kid throw. Its like hes drilled the fear into his brain. I understand the ravens are a good defense but their secondary could have been picked on. We just never tested them. Although i do think Schotty is very cutesy and complicated with his play calling theres also another side that I find interesting. Sanchez has thrown many interceptions and I feel like Schotty is forced to be very reserved in terms of play calling. Its a sticky situation. I say let sanchez throw and if he gets picked off a few times then we know its sanchez and not schotty. I also find it interesting that when Sanchez called some plays during preseason our offense actually did well. I feel like the type of plays sanchez called during preseason are the type of plays he would be most succesful doing.

9. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

Yes, you can. So many fans say they're done with the Lions but they never really leave. It just isn't must see or have to be there when the team blows this bad.

Sunday Ticket helps. A lot.

10. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I don't think the Jets threw deep more than 3 times on Monday. One of which was completed at the 4 yard line and called back.

11. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

I totally disagree with this assessment. Our Offense sucked because our OC was doing an EXCELLENT job impersonating Paul Can't Hackett! We ran up the middle a bajillion times against one of the TOP run D's in the NFL over the past 10 years.

What the hell was Shittyheimer thinking? They were depleted at the DB position putting 8 guys in the box, let Braylon and J.Co scorch their asses. Or Dump over the middle to your TE.

Now Greene, I'll agree, he couldn't hold on to sh*t and obviously Cro and K-Dub didn't help worth a sh*t with the mental mistakes, but this was NOT Sanchez and The WRs fault.

Oh and Slauson getting b*tch slapped by Ngata and Keller not extending on that 3rd and long play didn't help either.

12. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Where was Rex in the preseason? He's the HEAD coach! He needs to make sure all the units run properly, not just the defense.

If he feels Shotty is the problem he should have made the FO get rid of him!

Shotty gets shit on, but the head coach has final say over the gameplan. I know you all hate Belichik, but you can be sure he always knows what the offense is running and makes the final decision in important situations (right or wrong).

13. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I don't understand how people are blaming Rex for not taking more control. Isn't that we he did last year and isn't that what he's about to do again, thus the very topic of this thread?

Head Coaches usually give their Coordinators freedom to run their side of the ball. Factor in that Rex is a Defensive guru and Schotty has even more freedom.

But now, I think Rex is done allowing Schotty to control the Offensive gameplan. He's intervening. Again. What else is he supposed to at this point?

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

This position assumes Ryan had no role in reviewing the offensive game plan. That's just silly, and based on pure speculation.

Ryan is the HC. He's responsible. He had no idea what the offensive game plan was?

Please.

15. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Are we dialing it down for Sanchez or for Schotty?

16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Most of the defensive penalties were caused by an OC (Ravens) that knows what he is doing, 2 or 3 tightends for max protect and go after the weakness on the Jets secondary, Wilson or Cromartie.

I hope you can see the connection between the Jets being penalized and the Ravens OC putting the Jets defensive players in a bad position.

17. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

At what point did I ever imply he had "no role in reviewing in the Offensive gameplan?"

I intimated that he's intervening because Schotty was given his chance (which evidently was okayed by Rex), but it didn't work and no adjustments were made. So now Rex will go back to treating Schotty like a little kid by revoking his freedom and once again involving himself more with the Offensive gameplan.

18. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Just curious, how many think our offense be humming if Callahan were calling the plays?

19. Pete Carroll

Pete Carroll New Member

Sanchez shouldve attempted a hail mary. No shame in getting it intercepted, they often times are but just try it damn it:sad:

20. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

All I know is that there's something fundamentally wrong here. Rex, Schotty, and Sanchez are not on the same page.