Rex Ryan mandates changes to Jets offense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FinNasty, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

^^^^ This, and more of this, and this again. All the pre snap movement takes away from what we are doing. Line up, get a read and audible if needed, then sanp the fucking ball and play. 5 shifts in 10 seconds only complicate things for us and the defense could care less.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

if the offense could just move the ball and score some TD's when given great field position the Jets would have most certainly won,and you can't eliminate the OC's role in that not occurring, so your attempt to minimize his responsibility certainly doesn't reflect what actually occurred. but even so, the issue isn't whether we won or not, it is that the offense sucked and they would have sucked had we pulled out a 12-10 victory, so your argument doesn't address the reality of what occurred from any angle.

3. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

Schotty is a smart guy....i liked him a lot more after seeing Hard knocks.

but he just sucks at play calling. as someone else said in this thread or another...good coordinator, horrible play caller

it certainly isn't all on him though. I don't think rex would just absolve schotty of all the blame by saying it was has fault, if he didn't have a say in what the gameplan should be offensively.

4. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I don't know if Schotty's even a good OC.

I've complained about this in the past, and I guess I'll complain about it again since the same issue has reared its head: the WRs routes aren't effective either. Whether it's a play in which the WRs are running routes too close to each other or it's a play in which the routes don't create separation from the DBs, they're not getting open downfield.

I find it very hard to believe that a combination of Braylon Edwards, Cotchery, Keller, Brad Smith (and now LT) cannot create mismatches where at least one of them is wide-open on almost every passing play. If Schotty needs Holmes to make that happen, then he's an inept OC; if - when Holmes returns - that still doesn't happen, then he's an equally inept OC.

I'd love to hear Drew Brees' totally honest, unfiltered opinion of his time spent with Schotty in SD.

5. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Shotty is the biggest fake bitch on our team.
    It was evident last year where he all of a sudden started cursing and flailing his arms on the sidelines during games, It was just....sooooo fake.

Then on hard knocks what does he do with sanchez? has him list his goals.
    WTF IS THAT!!!???

This isn't Prep school u bitch, He's a god damn NFL QB and you're not a fukin custodian so wtf is all that BS .."oh , I think goals are important"

YEAH, WHEN YOU'RE 12 and don't know wtf you want from life!!!

There are times where he looks like a good coordinator then he just manages to look like an idiot the next...

Sanchize said it best...

"this shit is easy, U SUCK SHOTTY"

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'm with you buddy. Schott's playcalling is dumbfounding sometimes.... The Ravens were without their top two DBs (Reed and Foxworth) and we DONT take shots down the field?!

7. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

No, that fumble is negated by all the Ravens turnovers.

What if the Ravens had not turned the ball over so much? The Jets won the turnover battle 3 to 1 so we can't say "what if" regarding turnovers.

8. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

You're right, Schotty having a young player do a very common thing is EXACTLY why the Jets couldn't move the ball monday! How did I not see it before?!

9. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Throw in that you could tell the OL was confused which led to a few false starts, the illegal motion on Edwards and possibly the missed block by Mangold which led to Slausen getting bowled over on that sack.

10. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

Just let Sanchez call the plays...the only time we scored in pre-season is when this happened.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

There's no need to dumn down we should be opening it up.

People have to look at this logically instead of making proclamations after one game against a top D.

The Jets game plan was ultra conservative, it was not to allow Sanchez to throw game changing INTs. They felt they would win if they did that but it didn't work out. We don't face many D's as good as Baltimore, this offense will be fine.

12. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Buffalo 09'
    Ravens 10'
    Oakland 08'
    Denver 08'

I may work on this a little and narrow down the dates and get more stats...

Any more MIND BLOWING GAMES... I'm sure there are...

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Seattle 08 was pretty horrific too.

passing 35 times in the Seattle snow.

14. NJrocket24

NJrocket24 Well-Known Member

We have to do the opposite of common sense. If it's snowing they'll expect us to run so we'll be pass heavy. If we have the best running attack in the AFC and the raiders run D sucks and is weak, we'll pass 40 times because they'll expect us to attack their weak point so we'll actually be outsmarting them.

I swear to god this is his thought process. They're strong against the run so we will pass. They'll think about that and analyze us and expect us to attack their weak pass D. So we'll actually run it instead, but they might catch on so we'll make a pass oriented attack, but our pass game isn't strong so we'll run it, They're strong against the run so we will pass. They'll think about that and analyze us and expect us to attack their weak pass D. So we'll actually run it instead, but they might catch on so we'll make a pass oriented attack, but our pass game isn't strong so we'll run it. but They're strong against the run so we will pass. They'll think about that and analyze us and expect us to attack their weak pass D. So we'll actually run it instead, but they might catch on so we'll make a pass oriented attack, but our pass game isn't strong so we'll run it[​IMG]

Schotty just STFU. Play to our strengths attack their weaknesses and fuck the difference.

#74 NJrocket24, Sep 15, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I agree. I too think he loves trying to catch teams off guard by not attacking the weakness. This is the NFL, if you don't attack flaws teams will hold their own and you'll look retarded.

What is more disgusting is that Schotty won't call games like a Jet. He actually goes against Rex's philosophy of ground and pound and wants to be complicated and cute.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The thing that still boggles me just a bit about the Ryan/Schottenheimer dynamic is that they're like the odd couple. Rex Ryan clearly wants to control the ball on the ground and grind out the clock to keep his defense fresh later in the game. He's from a team that historically has run the ball a lot and had some real success doing that, albeit not at the top level. He's straight up the gut and my guys will beat your guys every day and twice on Sunday.

Brian Schottenheimer wants to mix it up a lot and keep the other team from being able to easily adjust to his gameplans. He's from a passing oriented attack in Norv Turner's offense. He's all misdirection and smoke screens and really runs a kind of weird variant of the WCO, using the field from sideline to sideline but not passing into the middle on slants very often.

It just seems like the two of these guys would be at loggerheads all the time unless the Jets were putting big points on the board. It makes no sense that they are collaborating on trying to win a Super Bowl.

The Jets got as far as they did last year because in late midseason they switched to running the kind of offense that Ryan wanted alongside his defense. How is keeping Brian Schottenheimer not going to eventually result in the same thing this season? And assuming that is so why is Brian Schottenheimer the Jets OC?

17. Modern Day Jesus

Modern Day Jesus New Member

Schottenheimer needs to take what the Defense gives. If it works, keep it going. Idk if I'm the only one, but I see Sanchez do a lot better when he rolls out. Why not have more plays out of the pocket? Especially when there's 6 minutes in the game and it's third down.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

That's a much more intelligent way to convey my last sentence in the post above yours. Thank You.

As to your last sentence, what scares me is that Rex's involvement got what he wanted and it catapulted the Jets running game and QB into a rhythm and confidence they didn't have in the 1st half of the season. It got me off of Schotty's back and I knew it was Rex who did it, making me love the fat man even more.

The only solution is to return to last seasons concept of Rex having full control over the philosophy of both the offense and defense. Without Schotty being told what to do, this offense will consistently run itself into the ground.

It makes me wonder how this offense would operate if Rex had his guy in there at OC. I know it would be Hue Jackson if he didn't go to Oakland.... I just don't want to play the "what if" game. Its too painful.

Here's to Rex sitting in the offensive room, dictating step by step what he wants done.

19. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

How much would it cost to make it happen?

I'll buy you a Tom Brady jersey, because you are the exact type of fan that will scream SOJ till death.

Were you on wheel of fortune BTW?

20. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Do us all a favor and try harder.