Rex Ryan mandates changes to Jets offense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FinNasty, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

The picture of the problem!!!

2. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Look you have to use pretzel logic on this.........

Peyton Manning uses a ton of presnap motions.... excuse me "slap dick " motions

He runs a great offense

There fore if Sanchez runs a lot of slap dick motions, he will run a great offense.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

WTF? Dumbing down? If it got any dumber you would see it in Pop Warner...Sanshit is so terrified of throwing a pick that he basically refuses to pass it to anyone beyond the line of scrimmage..that and running it straight up the middle against the likes of Ngata and Lewis is as fucking dumb as you get...God I don't believe people here write this shit.

4. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

Sanshit?

AFC Championship Game in his Rookie fucking year is now Sanshit?

20 picks, sure. most rookies don't go even 9-7 on 20 picks. More or less throw what was it, 12 TDs?

But be realistic man. I would say he is adapting damn well, and when he's got Holmes to throw to you'll be spelling his name right.

5. LEGIONS

LEGIONS Member

the devil himself
    old people score more ass than the jets score td's with this fool as oc. where joe walton is he still alive? i can live with 3rd and 20 draws if joe comes back with johnny hector and freeman mcneil

6. VinnyT

VinnyT New Member

That was exactly my thought while watching the game last night, that the Jets offense was trying to mimic some of the things that the Colts' offense does. The problem with that is that the Colts do all of that audible and motioning and then spread the field and give Manning enough time to find the weak spots in the defense that all of the motioning and audibles were meant to create or spotlight.

When the Jets do all of this stuff pre-snap, they're not fooling anyone because they never stretched the field and opted nearly 100% of the time to either check-down to the running back running a flare route out of the backfield (or to a receiver on a short route) or to run the ball against a stout Ravens front 7.

What the Jets offense needs to do is go back to who they were in the playoffs last season (and re-adopt Rex's philosophy on the game in general). Line up with the attitude that they're better and more physical that the opponent, and proceed to just ram the ball down the defense's throat. Had they done a bit more of that last night that might have been more successful because they would have worn the Ravens D down a bit more and/or gotten more plays on offense simply by not letting the play clock run down to 1 second every single play.

7. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I saw some stat, I think, that said the last time we had a 300 yard passing performance from a QB was in 2006. QBs include: Pennington, Clemens, Favre, and Sanchez.

Not that 300 yards translates to wins, but that's a disturbing statistic. At some point - mayhaps after four different QBs - you reach a common denominator, and that has to be Schotty.

The Saints are the only team with an efficient, high-powered Offense that utilizes a lot of pre-snap shifts & motion, and that's attributed to Sean Payton's style. The difference is, Payton is an Offensive guru whose style has proven to be successful. Schotty..not so much.

8. RevisOfNazareth

Speaking of QB's that threw too many picks yet somehow managed to help win playoff games.

9. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Broncos '08 (Rainy, windy conditions against a team that couldn't stop the run = a perfect time to have Favre throw the ball 43 times.)

10. The Uniform Bomber

Hahah.

I think the Colts' pre-snap movement is more of a result of Manning essentially calling the play at the LoS -- either reading the Defense and calling the play or audibling. I doubt the plays themselves are designed with all that pre-snap bullshit like Schotty's are.

11. NJrocket24

NJrocket24 Well-Known Member

schotty wanted to do 3 change formations and 6 audibles before each snap, rex only wanted 5. Thats what this is about.

Gruden even called him out on it. I've been saying it for years. Schotty thinks hes too smart for the room. Every play has to have 6 audibles and 6 formation shifts and 2 motions.

Just run the damn ball. Just pass the damn ball. Just catch the damn ball. Trust that our guys can beat their guys on the play without excessive trickery/strategy.

Especially when its under 2 mins and every second counts. You can't be shifting/audibling/excessive motions. Get set and go.

Pissed me off for years about schotty.
    /End Rant

12. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

yeah, how about throwing the fuckin ball. Fabian washington statistically was one of the worst corners as far as yardage goes. He allowed 11+ yards per ATTEMPT. yet we didn't do shit.

braylon edwards should have had 100 yards receiving

13. RevisOfNazareth

14. Schitthead=garbage

I think you guys can tell how I feel about the Jets OC by my forum name.

This arrogant piece of shit has to go tomorrow, it's not a coincidence his initials are BS.

His playcalling is both horrendous and ironic. Ironic because his complicated bullshit plays aren't fooling opposing defenses, they are only fooling the Jets offensive players !!!

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Pre-snap motion is used to deceive the defense. The Jets offense is very elementary relative to other teams in the league. Without all the motion, defenses would have an easy time facing the Jets. Based on the personnel on a particular play and the alignment, defenses would be able to make adjustments and audible if necessary.
    The Jets want to prevent defenses from getting comfortable in that fashion, so they use a lot of motion. It makes it tougher for a defense to make a pre-snap adjustment or to audible.

16. skeleton_frames

Exactly. But I'm not sure if Shotty wasn't calling the plays, or if Sanchez is so twisted up mentally about turnovers that he wouldn't. I'm really hoping for the former, but if Sanchez is worried about mistakes he isn't going to be doing anything for us anytime soon.

17. Much like Hackett, I believe schotty is a good coordinator but not a good play caller. There is no flow or rythym to his calls.

Here's an idea: What about making Callahan the play caller? He was "running game coordinator" a couple years ago and was a very good play caller in Oakland.

18. The Uniform Bomber

I agree, and I'm open to trying Callahan.

But I wonder if that type of change is something the Jets would be willing to do mid-season. I know teams have done it before, but if recent memory serves me correctly, those teams were shitteams, so a major change like that didn't seem as big of deal as it is because those teams were going nowhere and thus didn't have much else to lose.

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The 2002 Giants did it. Jim Fassel took over the playcalling duties from Sean Payton after several poor offensive games. That was a playoff team.