Should Schottenheimer be fired?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Benny Bing, Sep 14, 2010.

?

Should Brian Schottenheimer be fired as Offensive Coordinator?

1. Yes - it is his fault the Jets offense is putrid.

120 vote(s)
    41.5%
  2. No - it is not his fault, it is Sanchez and the players.

84 vote(s)
    29.1%
  3. Maybe - I would like to give him another couple games at least.

108 vote(s)
    37.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

And the really amazing thing is that we're 4+ years into this offense and it still doesn't work. How clever can Schotty be if his offense is always screwing up when it is fully implemented?

And BTW, this is the second young QB the Jets have drafted to work in this system who looks like more confused by the Schotty offense than the opponents.

2. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

Exactly. He is too interested in idiotic shifting, he doesn't realize how much he is shooting the offense in the foot.

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I completely agree. The entire coaching staff needs to take a good look at themselves right now. Discipline is a foreign concept to this team right now and that comes from the top.

That's the smartest thing you've posted all day.

4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I was calling for his head, look at my posts, I have been calling for his head for 4 years now, I hope people are starting to see this guy for what he is and that's using his fathers name to keep a job in the NFL.

#84 Red Menace, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  5. Red Menace

Good comment Alio, however it's the effectiveness that count's, most teams run similar plays, however the Jets run an ineffective scheme and that has been the problem snce he has been here, I have said it before and I will continue to say it, his Offensive SCHEME is ineffective, and it will continue to be that way, 5 years of the same thing and we continue to say let's give him more time.

6. Br4d

It's like the Jets are waiting for the Steve Young Fairy to show up and bless the QB so he can run the offense.

7. mute

mute Well-Known Member

I understand that was the gameplan but I was hoping that with under 2 minutes, Sanchez would at least go deep because it was obvious that we needed to go down the field in such a short time. Then we see Sanchez getting pissed at Schotty. Maybe he didnt understand the play call or didnt agree. I dont know.

8. DWest

DWest New Member

Schotty needs to go. Plain and simple!

9. Red Menace

No one is blaming all the Jets problems on BS, as a matter of fact this thread is about BS as an OC.

Yes the coaching staff needs to address some things that hurt them in the game, but the defensive penalties will be ironed out by Rex and Pettine.

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Last night was awful, but you do not fire an OC one game into a season. Yuo get him to change WTF he is doing, but for now he must stay. Look for Rex to get more involved on taht side of the ball again if things continue.

11. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Wow, if this is the way some of you handle the day after such a game, I only wonder how you deal with real adversity in your lives.

I'm not a BS supporter either- what I'm saying is that you don't make such a move one week into the system- no good will come of that.

12. Br4d

The Jets have had this "change-up" conversation with Schotty how many times now? 2007 when nothing was working and they tried to simplify things for Clemens before turning back to Chad? 2008 when Favre said he couldn't run the full offense and needed to simplify it? 2009 when Sanchez was having meltdowns all over the place AFTER Schotty began fully implementing the offense?

I mean how many times do you have to tell the offensive coordinator that things aren't working and they need to change things up before you realize that it's the offensive coordinator who is not working out? More than once a season?

13. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

They were ineffective because the receivers dropped the ball.

How exactly does that translate into Schotty's fault? I'm still waiting for a detailed explanation. Somehow I'm able to explain my POV without just saying "So and so sucks" yet the side of Schotty haters can't seem to give me a definitive answer.

What about the scheme makes it so that receivers drop balls that hit them in the hands? IIRC, 3 passes thrown by Sanchez last night were uncatchable, leaving 7 as drops. What changes to the scheme will change that?

14. jets12

jets12 Active Member

Rex dial up Mike Leach right now

If you want to save our season and develop an offense that is as strong as our defense and win three Super Bowls in the next five years, go out and get this guy to run our offense and say good bye to Shottenheimer right now.

We will never win with the younger version of Paul Hackett so make the call now.

Jets fans have waited long enough and do not need another season of disappointment.

Woody you say that you want to bring the fans a winner and will do anything to make it happen. Well this is the one move that would make this team a true Super Bowl contender.

Matt Cavanaugh and Shottenheimer have to go right now. Don't wait.

15. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Excellent post. Really.

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Firing Shotty after week one would be as bad an over reaction as giving Mangini a 15 year contract after his first season. Now which poster made that statment a few years ago... Hmmmmmmmm.

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

How has this guy not been banned yet?

18. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

The drops came on short dump-offs, screens or checkdowns. The receivers were not in a position to make plays.

My biggest problem with Schotty is his inability to make in-game adjustments. It's obvious Slauson is overmatched and you are having protection problems, why not call some max-protects (since the Ravens were blitzing on every play) and at least take a few shots down the field??

19. Br4d

I just watched the most putrid offensive performance that I've seen a Jet offense produce in quite awhile. I watched a QB who clearly cannot execute this offense as designed. I watched normally sure-handed receivers drop passes, maybe a one or twice a season occurrence for Cotchery, and kill the Jets in the process because the offense was so ineptly managed around the play. I watched our star runningback drop a ball and then get put on the bench while plan B got featured against a defense that could shut him down. I watched offensive penalties based solely on the anal-retentive pre-snap movement built into the system kill another big play.

You are correct that under normal circumstances no good would come out of making a change like this at this point in the season. The problem is that leaving the current situation in place is likely to be just as bad, or worse, than making a change now.

The time to fire Brian Schottenheimer was at the end of the last season. Having missed that point are we now to watch Sanchez get totally derailed this season and then go through the inevitable firing at the end of it?

Would there be any point to letting Schotty work with his fifth quarteback in this system to try to get it to work? FIVE QB's to maybe get his system to work?

Good god.

20. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

The Jets haven't had a 300 yard passer since 2006 and the offense hasn't rated better than 16th overall since Schittenheimer took over. This is not a 1 game issue. It's his entire tenure that has been terrible.

And it's not like the talent hasn't been there. Pennington and Favre quarterbacked this team and they both had monster years AFTER leaving Schittenheimer and his bullcrap offense. He's more concerned with motion and trickery and being cute while trying to show his "brilliance" instead of lining up and beating the opposition. We have an elite run game here, there is no need for the tricks. Would it kill him to run some play actions off of those runs? Apparently the answer is yes.

This article was posted on thejetsblog, and it really highlights Shittenheimer's shortcomings. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...d-offenses-not-one-300-yard-passer-since-2006