Week 1 Officiating...

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Royal Tee, Sep 12, 2010.

1. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

It just seems that "process" is always stressed. Why not just quote the rule verbatim?

EDIT: See here

#21 DisgruntledLionFan, Sep 12, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

That was a horrible call in the Lions game unless the rule is you have to take the ball home with you for the catch to count.

3. masivemunkey

masivemunkey Member

There should be some common sense in the reffing process. I bet almost everyone who isn't a bear's fan believes that it was a catch. To rule it not a catch is just retarded and the rule needs to be changed to allow some wiggle room.

4. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

the kid was however retarded for not securing the ball and holding it like a loaf of bread.

that rule and the way it is stated is absolutely terrible. i agree with those who say he must maintain possession until he gets home and takes a shower. terrible rule.

the officiating was very poor today, i think the dependence on instant replay has created refs who are scared and who are not as good at their craft.

i couldnt count the number of times the cowboys had a guy in motion and he started toward the los before the snap, i thought i was watching the damn cfl. THEN in the 4th quarter they actually start calling it. terrible job by the refs.

5. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Holy cow, just seen that Lions TD, because thats what it was. A great piece of athleticism to bring in the catch. Stupid dumb rule that takes away legit catches.

6. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

And if it was ruled a catch, I'm sure Lovie Smith would have said it was the right call.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The Calvin Johnson call was the correct call. You cana rgue whether the rule makes sence but by the rule it was the correct call.

This type of play comes up every so often and we always(not you and me but the board) argue about it. It's the same type of play that went our way vs. Miami in 2002 on the Chris Chambers would be TD, the same type that went against us on the Chrebet play in 2003 at NE and on the Coles would be TD vs. NO in '05. I was rooting for the Lions but unfortuanetly it was the correct call.

8. nicolab

nicolab Member

the pi call that gave the seahawks a first down was horrible (sorry cant remember the players involved)

the d man got in front and tried to get the INT but the seahawk player had hold of his hand but the call went to the seahawks

how the hell is that defensive PI - even the commentators said offensive PI
    :mad:

San Fran just imploded after that though

9. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

this reminds me of the Bert emanuel (non)catch in so many ways. Clearly a catch, but the exact letter of the law, prohibits the catch from being called a catch. The team goes on to lose the game, and then the next year the rule gets changed so that things like that can happen and be properly called.

10. DisgruntledLionFan

Yeah, based on a rule/stipulation that apparently isn't in the rulebook. Show me where it says second act or throughout the process in the rules and I'll gladly agree with you.

11. nyjunc

It's the rule, I don't have the rulebook handy but they always call that play the way they called it yesterday. It sucks for you guys but they made the proper call.

12. DisgruntledLionFan

#32 DisgruntledLionFan, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  13. nyjunc

I can't see the vdeo, can you describe it?

14. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

the nfl has needed an overhaul in this dept for some time

15. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

The problem is the officials in the NFL are so bad at their job that rules like this need to be put in place to help them.

Just recently we had an AFC title game in which Pats CB's manhandled Manning's WRs so the next year they institute illegal contact

A few years later these idiots can't tell between incidental facemask and a personal foul so now all facemasks regardless of how minor they are will now be a 15 yard penalty

Then we get the no more pushout rule, if a guy is pushed out he's out of bounds because these idiots have no balls to make a judgment call.

Then there is this rule, it's a stupid rule to have but again it's there because most of these assholes are pushing 70 and the NFL wants to absolve them from criticism so they have these moronic rules in place so it lessens the chance of them screwing up.

Outside of the NBA the NFL has the worst officials in all of sports. These guys suck. At least we know in the NBA David Stern tells them who to call fouls on :)

16. IATA

IATA Trolls

Well, all he has to keep the ball in his hands for 1 more second instead of celebrating BEFORE the play is over.

Play till the whistle, son.

17. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

Worse than soccer?

Shiiiiiiiiiit

And baseball is pretty bad too

18. Satire?

Satire? Guest

[​IMG]

Sucks to be him.

19. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

The whistle had blown and the first official raised his hands for a TD. So, as someone else pointed out, at what point are you allowed to put the damn ball down?

20. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I'd recommend this gentleman buy a bullet and rent a gun.