The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coitus Martian 28

Coitus Martian 28 New Member

pre-injury, i would say welker was the key guy to cover by revis. however, welker came back waaaaay too early from that injury and even though he is playing, he won't be the wes welker we all loathe. still a good option? yup, but i would still strand moss on the island and let cro do his thing with welker.

2. ........

........ Trolls

^ Bahahaha...Sex Martian AND a Jets pun. I love the name.

3. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Why Revis *and* a safety? The point of putting Revis on him is to gain the extra man. So yes, it would be a waste with a safety, but that's not what I am suggesting.

I'm not incredibly against Wilson + safety on Welker, but IMO Welker is the greatest threat in their passing game for his ability to catch the quick route and run for 10 yards afterward. Repeated first downs are morale killers to a defense. So it makes sense to me to put Revis on him, to get physical at the LOS and eliminate half (or more) of his catches. Moss today, is not the Moss of old who used to catch 50yd TDs in double-coverage. Cro + safety help is all you need, maybe even more than needed.

And Cro on Welker is very bad idea. Watch the preseason games. Aside from his well documented weakness at tackling, he also gets his hips turned on him on occasion and loses a step because of it. Because of this, his size, and inability to consistently tackle, I can see Welker catching on him all day. Welker is far too shifty for Cro.

4. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Blasphemy. Repent and you shall be forgiven. :smile:

5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Pressure Brady and all this arguing is over.

6. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I believe Cromatie can handle Moss. Moss is basically a homerun threat and it's a huge threat but if you get him out of the game early he will stop caring.

Welker is the real problem because he moves the ball and he negate the blitz by getting open quickly. I prefer:

Cromatie- Moss
    Revis- Welker
    Wilson- Edelman or Tate

I f$cking hate Kevin Faulk.

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Revis will still draw Moss because Moss is a greater threat when in his zone. Cromartie may have looked good in the preseason but don't forget the guys history... he gets burned badly by receivers like Moss / Marshall. By taking Moss out of the game you force the Pats into a war of attrition with Welker. Granted, Welker and Brady are the best at what they do... but its better to scheme around a guy who moves the chains well than a guy who can score a TD in the blink of an eye.

Bend but don't break.

8. Trifco

Trifco New Member

wait... why is everybody all of a sudden talking about football instead of keep on arguing/gossiping about revis new deal?

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I don't really feel like adding to the conversation, but I do want to say "Welcome home Revis!"

Now let's kick Baltimore's ass.

10. ........

........ Trolls

I wanted to look into it a bit more when I had the time today, and I now want to see the language of the contract. I seemed to remember something about Ashley Lelie and option bonuses, so I looked up his contract arbitration. I now believe the situation is still a bit shaky until we see more, but I'm fairly certain Tanny dealt with it in the smart manner.

Option bonuses, as determined by the arbitrator in the Lelie case, are NOT recoverable when treated as roster bonuses. They're considered paid money. However, many contracts do contain language that allows the option bonus to be converted into a signing bonus after the fact, and most contracts with voids contain language to protect teams. This was the case in the Haynesworth deal, which is why he's unable to actually hold out or void and has had to resort to being a complete douchebag to make his point.

In other words, the Jets were unable to use a future signing bonus (a la the Willis deal) because of the re-allocation rule, so they had to use an option bonus to shift money after this season and fully guarantee the extra $18 million. However, it's highly likely that the team also included an option to convert that option bonus to a signing bonus. We'll know as soon as the actual language of the contract is released. It's my guess that this is what his agents were talking about when they mentioned that he couldn't hold out between now and 2014 per the terms of the contract. It would be a smart, Tanny-esque move to convert that money into a recoverable signing bonus starting at the beginning of the next free agency period.

At that point, his 'contract'/cap numbers REALLY would become $13 million (2011), $13.5 million (2012), and $12 million (2013). The lower base in the final year, as has been mentioned, makes it likely that he seeks renegotiation. The high real value, however, makes it most likely that he won't hold out. The conditions on his contract void contribute to make it impossible.

He'll be here until at least 2013, at which point he'll be dealt with. The best part of that year? If we give Harris a 5 year contract (guess) this offseason, Revis won't impact any of the Core 4 with his next round of negotiations.

11. All Star

All Star Active Member

Probably posted already but Revis will not be holding out again...
    Per Rich Cimini on his blog.

12. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Yeah right. If he's playing like Revis Christ and seeing other dudes get crazy money, he's 100% sure to hold out like he did this time. The contract language is meaningless and does not stop him from demanding it be ripped up again

13. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

If he holds out again he will handcuff his ability to earn top dollar as a free agent. If he holds out anytime within the next four years he guarantees himself another situation exactly like this one. If he plays out the four years he becomes a very rich man and stands to sign a ridiculous free agent contract when the time comes.

14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Why would the Jets have a very hard time re-signing him in 2014? Any other team would be facing exactly the same contract demands the Jets would, so they wouldn't have any advantage I can see.

15. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Exactly. It's the same glass half-empty nonsense from him we always hear. I swear, Cimini hates the Jets as much as Florio. Why the hell he's a beat writer for them, I have no idea.

16. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I think you're forgetting who wrote the article.

17. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Wasn't handcuffed this year, he got a great contract

Yeah, so he should be happy because he landed an amazing 2-year deal, now hold out again for the same thing

18. ........

........ Trolls

You should quit while you're not that far behind.

19. Trifco

Trifco New Member

2010:
    He holds out => he's still 3 years under contract.
    He doesn't hold out => he's still 3 years under contract.

2013:
    He holds out => he's still 3 years under contract.
    He doesn't hold out => he's free to sign with whomever he wants.

Plus, there's some language in the bonuses/guaranteed money pointed by Ignatious that could make him lose some (big) part of his money in case he holds out.

So, handcuffed no, but it wouldn't be good business for him to do it.

20. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

yes he was. you really think the best deal Revis could have gotten on the open market was a 4 year deal with 32 million guaranteed? That would be a laughable contract if he had been free to negotiate with any team in the league.
    no, he should be happy that he is gonna make a shitload of money for the next four years and then he will sign a monster free agent deal with the Jets or another team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.